Causing to stumble - Matthew 18:5-7

edited July 2011 in Faith Issues
Hello :

I have a question that is related to salvation.

In the Gospel of Matthew, Our Lord says :

“If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. 7 Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come!

Suppose I am an adulterer and have caused some people to stumble and they sin because my bad morals corrupted their good nature. But later on ,I repent and they do not. Moreover,I would always see the terrible consequences of my bad influence taking its toll on them. Would my repentance be acceptable before the Lord and be forgiven or do I bear the burden of their sin and lose my salvation??

What exactly is the Lord saying in the verse?

Comments

• Sorry I can't answer your question but my thoughts would be to say sorry to those people as you've said sorry to GOD. Then it would be up to them which way they take. Especially if you tell them you are saying sorry because of GOD.
  • Joshua,thanks,

In Galatians 6:5, there is a verse that syas ' For every man shall bear his own burden '.In light of this verse,  I am not sure how our Lord meant when he spoke about causing someone to stumble.
  • The person who stumble other people with bad intention will recieve bad judge.
    If one sinner changed his life all Heaven are in rejoise.
    You have time on the earth to ask for forgivness.
    Other people have this time too.
    Every of us made a lot of bad things to stumble others but Glory to God that He showed that us He wants forgives us before Doomsday.
  • In the context of the verse he was showing the disciples the little child who He said we must be like in order to enter the kingdom of heaven, so young children are the "little ones" He refers to. So if you think about it, young children are the most easily deceived and the most easily swayed, and whatever beliefs they are taught when they are young are going to become more and more etched into their heads as they grow older. If at that age they are taught, for example, that God does not exist, they will become more set in this idea later on in life and it will be much more difficult to turn them back to God. So I do think that in the example that you stated, if the adulterer is truly sincere in his/her repentance, I do not see why God would not accept him/her.