COPTIC BAPTISM BEFORE MARRIAGE

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
May the peace of God be with you all. I have a question about baptism for non-Coptic Christians before marrying from the Coptic faith. My brother (who is from the Methodist Faith and has been baptised already) intends to marry a lady from the Coptic faith but hears rumours that he must convert through baptism before being able to marry the lady. Can anyone clarify this for me and the essence of the baptism if it is true.

Thank you.

Comments

• Baptism within the Coptic Church will be essential.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11744.msg140409#msg140409 date=1309287981]
    Baptism within the Coptic Church will be essential.

If i may ask , do you have any idea of its essence or why it is mandatory ?
  • even if he were catholic, and baptized, he would still need to be baptized into the Oriental Orthodox Church... there is a separation, and we only recognize the Oriental Orthodox Baptism. if we say any baptism is okay, then we agree with their dogma, with their thoughts, teachings, etc...

there is a really nice story of a woman who was on a boat with her child, and a great storm hit... here son had not been yet baptized so she out of faith and fear for her son's salvation baptized him with her blood... through the grace of God she made it to the shore safely, then she went to baptize her child in the "normal" manner... every time the bishop would come to put him the water, the water would freeze and would not allow him to baptize the child... so he asked the mother what happened, and when she told him, he told her he is baptized and in no need of baptism...

so if your brother is of no need of baptism, then I'm sure God will freeze the water and not allow him to be "Re-baptized"

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

You may find the following article helpful in understanding the sacrament of baptism in the context of the Orthodox Church.

The Sacrament of Baptism by H.H. Pope Shenouda III
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Here is the Liturgy of Baptism for you to peruse as well. It will also help you get a better insight into the sacrament within the context of the Orthodox Church.

Liturgy of Holy Baptism
  • If i may ask , do you have any idea of its essence or why it is mandatory ?

Baptism within the Orthodox Church takes an essential in salvation. There are many differences between the Methodist Church and the Orthodox Church. Baptism is performed according to faith which is essential for salvation.

Since the dogma between both Churches differ, so is baptism need to be performed again.

I hope this helps
  • Actually, the issue of re-baptism of Coptic converts is being analyzed again by the Holy Synod. The decisions will be brought up at the annual convention for Coptic Priests in Boston. If this does come up as planned, priests will no longer re-baptize Catholics or Eastern Orthodox. They will simply receive the Myroon and be Coptic.

PK
  • Thanks popekyrollos.

What we are discussing here is baptism of a Methodist.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11744.msg140468#msg140468 date=1309338450]
    Thanks popekyrollos.

What we are discussing here is baptism of a Methodist.

I realize, Im just responding to Superman's post regarding Catholics.

PK