Bells on the Censer

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi, I was just wondering would do the bells on the censer (shoria) symbolize?

Comments

• + Irini nem ehmot,

It is my understanding that the bells symbolize the 12 apostles. You'll note that only 11 of the 12 bells actually ring. The 12th one represents Judas who lost his apostleship as a result of his betrayal.
  • also they are there so that when the censor is shaked by the priest the people may hear it and stand up so it notifies the people the censor is being used to stand out of respect. 
  • Wow, thanks. But more specifically, the twelve disciples. Because, when you refer to apostles I think about the 72 apostles. 
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=11665.msg139964#msg139964 date=1308561079]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

It is my understanding that the bells symbolize the 12 apostles. You'll note that only 11 of the 12 bells actually ring. The 12th one represents Judas who lost his apostleship as a result of his betrayal.

I thought Judas was replaced? What about the bell for Matias?
  • + Irini nem ehomt,

While this is true, I believe that the symbolism is more about the 'original' 12 disciples as it were.
  • Also, the beautiful sound the censer makes as it passes us by is to remind us of the Gospel which the Apostles preached to all the lands they visited...so when Abouna goes all around the church not only does he entreat us to unite our prayers all together but it also gives us an image of the apostles going from land to land "their voices went forth into all the earth..."