Hi

edited December 1969 in Introductions
I would like to introduce me to you. I attend the St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church in Bermuda.  We are very blessed to have our Fr.Isaac El-Anthony to leed us to the road of salvation.
:D Even though we are a small community, we are very diverse, in many ways. Just so that you know Bermuda is 21 square miles in total and we have many of Churches(@least 4 in every parish). Thank you for having me in the fold.
I look forward to many enlightenments and growth in a good way.  

Comments

• Welcome, Finote! I had no idea there was a COC in Bermuda. I look forward to reading your perspective on the issues discussed.
  • [move]WELCOME!!![/move]  :D

Enjoy, ask and learn a lot!

GBU
  • It is hard for me to believe that any Coptic church is "diverse", unless there are no Egys to impose their culture on everyone.
  • lol you're so mean Ioannes :P

Welcome to the forum, Finote!
  • How would one pronounce the name?  (phonetically)
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=11627.msg139567#msg139567 date=1308166159]
    lol you're so mean Ioannes :P

Why? Because I state the obvious? Should I say that the majority of Copts go to church because it is their "culture" and not for salvation? Oh boy, I am getting really mean!
  • I don't know the majority of Copts, but I would be very surprised if that wasn't the case for the majority of any particular cultural group that is strongly identified with a given church, not to mention extremely confused how any of us could ever possibly truly know that. Maybe it seems to us that such-and-such a group is only here for show, but how do we know that behind their behavior or appearance there isn't some deeper reason that they show up?  ???

Anyway...Hi Finote, and welcome! I am excited to learn about the church in your country. Please let us know more about it in your posts. I know I'm not the only one who is curious! I hope you find a lot of interesting and enlightening discussions here. I know I have.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=11627.msg139571#msg139571 date=1308168217]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=11627.msg139567#msg139567 date=1308166159]

Why? Because I state the obvious? Should I say that the majority of Copts go to church because it is their "culture" and not for salvation? Oh boy, I am getting really mean!

I must agree partially with what you say. The Egyptian culture is forced on everyone who attends a Coptic Church. The church itself is culture, but that doesn't mean the majority of Copts go not for salvation, does that mean they are not righteous? Does that mean I shouldn't trust the majority of Copts for spiritual advice? That's where I don't agree.
  • Khas, why do you assume that I do not trust Copts for spiritual advice?
  • + Irini nem ehomt,

[quote author=Ioannes link=topic=11627.msg139571#msg139571 date=1308168217]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=11627.msg139567#msg139567 date=1308166159]

My my, haven't we got the judgmental streak in us. Not only a misogynist, but an ethnophobe as well. Cast out the plank in your own eye before looking at the speck in your brothers.
  • Ethnophobe? This forum gets better and better by the day! The fact is the culture is imposed, not by the clergy but by the laity. We are expected to learn a new language, on top of new style of worship and everything else Orthodoxy entails. This is not a phobia, it is a fact. The insults at least are getting more creative, I give you that.
  • Has anyone required you to eat a bowl of molokheya before becoming Orthodox? What exactly are you referring to? What do the laity impose on you? Most of them don't know or care for Coptic, anyhow. . .
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Man you have issues. The Church of Alexandria has existed for nearly 2 millennia. In that time, it goes without saying that the culture would become a part of the worship. However, any idiot knows that Orthodoxy supersedes all cultural boundaries. If a person gets hung on on culture, the fault is in the individual, not the Church. Is there a prescribed 'style' of worship, as you say? Well duh. The 'style' you seem to have an issue with is the liturgy that was developed by the Apostles, and built upon by their disciples. You have an issue with the 'style', take it up with them. As for everything else Orthodoxy entails, what exactly is that? The fullness of Truth? Gee, sucks to be Orthodox then.  It is a phobia, and one you best learn to deal with.
  • I think the issue for Ioannas here is tolerance. I know he's not an Ethnophobe because Ioannas knows the ethiopian culture very well.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11627.msg139675#msg139675 date=1308285526]
    Has anyone required you to eat a bowl of molokheya before becoming Orthodox? What exactly are you referring to? What do the laity impose on you? Most of them don't know or care for Coptic, anyhow. . .

Why is everything I say taken out of context? I am saying it is difficult to learn a new style of worship ON TOP of that we are expected to learn arabic and or coptic. I have no problem with Liturgical worship, in fact I love it obviously or I would not be Orthodox. I am trying to share how difficult it is in becoming Orthodox, we do not need the added difficulty of learning a new language.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=11627.msg139688#msg139688 date=1308286929]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11627.msg139675#msg139675 date=1308285526]
    Has anyone required you to eat a bowl of molokheya before becoming Orthodox? What exactly are you referring to? What do the laity impose on you? Most of them don't know or care for Coptic, anyhow. . .

Why is everything I say taken out of context? I am saying it is difficult to learn a new style of worship ON TOP of that we are expected to learn arabic and or coptic. I have no problem with Liturgical worship, in fact I love it obviously or I would not be Orthodox. I am trying to share how difficult it is in becoming Orthodox, we do not need the added difficulty of learning a new language.

You said culture, not me. A  major part of culture is food! The fact is the majority of Northern American COC do not cling to arabic or coptic and in fact are moving away from both quickly. It is unfortunate that your church doesn't accommodate English speakers. But I think your case is an exception. Most of the churches in the Southern CA diocese pray primarily in English.
  • Now we speak predominately english, but this is not my experience in the Oriental churches I have been to, except St Marks in LA which is rapidly becoming protestant lol.
  • Oooww, low-blow - now you know that is my home church, Ioannes.

Out of curiosity, where do you pray?
  • Where do I pray? Everywhere.
  • I had a follow up joke but I'll keep it to myself.

What church? You don't have to answer, if you don't want to.
  • St George Coptic Orthodox Church, Toledo Ohio
    Do you want the phone number?