No AP classes allowed to go in medical schools?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
I am going to highschool next year and for my first year there, I am taking an AP class in world history, (soon will be having all my classes switched AP altogether), but i have read an article online the other day that had a post by this girl that said that her teacher which is a professor of something, i don't remember, and she said that he keeps talking on and on, on how medical schools don't like any subject to be taken with the prefix AP or IB. i.e. they would prefer chemistry, not AP chemistry. she said that her professor said actually, many and most medical schools will not accept anyone taking classes of "extra...anything" in highschool. They would only accept the ones who went all through highschool without any AP or IB classes and got the highest of highest grades throughout.
Is this true, should i take AP classes or not? Also, this makes me conclude, if this is true and if i had understood correctly from her, that other types of schools may have same to similar restrictions. If so, do you know any?

I am extremely worried about this issue...

Thankyou in advance...

Comments

• Hey Knowledge that Glows!

Colleges want you to take classes that are challenging for you (but not over challenging) and to see that you are working hard and taking classes you like. If you can handle an AP class, then take it (as long as you aren't overloading youself  :)). Remember, anyone can make something up and post it online. I know for a fact that the large majority of colleges prefer AP courses over normal courses as long as you are doing well in them.

Here is a page by the college board (which administers the SATs and AP tests) about AP classes: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/about.html

It says on the web site:

More than 90 percent of four-year colleges in the United States and colleges in more than 60 other countries give students credit, advanced placement or both on the basis of AP Exam scores. By entering college with AP credits, you'll have the time to move into upper level courses, pursue a double-major or study abroad.

• So do you know, or anyone, like the major pros and cons of the AP classes that should get attention?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dear Knowledge That Glows,
    I would advise you that either you misunderstood what the intent of the advice was or the advice given was corrupt.

AP classes are taken in high school to further ones academic knowledge base and for college credit hour requirements towards your degree. Just by taking these courses alone with not hurt your chances toward admission into medical school. Taking these courses allows any individual to advance through college coursework faster. Medical School admission boards would rather see a student take this prerequisite coursework while in college and not AP credit. This allows them to compare your grades with other applicants. They could not do this if you had taken Biology AP in high school and did not take it in college.

The easy remedy for this is to take all the AP coursework in High School that you want. Then, those courses that are prerequisites for Med. school, retake them. It will be very easy since it will be the second time you would be introduced to the material and you can re-mediate the information and gain a better understanding.

I believe that is what this adviser meant and if not, he or she is wrong.

Do not stress over this, I am in Med. school myself, so I know what I am talking about,
    God Bless,

• It depends on which AP class you intend to take. Medical schools want to see a year of Biology, a year of General Chemistry, a year of Organic Chemistry, a year of Physics, and a year of math. Now...

If you take AP Chemistry, that is fine because you will have to take Organic Chemistry in college anyways. So long as you take it DURING the school year and get a good grade, you will be fine.

If you take AP Biology, and you major in biology, you will not have a problem because you will be taking a load of biology classes (i.e. Genetics, Neuroscience, etc etc) and so, as long as your grades in theses college classes are good, you are fine.

If you take AP Calculus, you have relieved yourself of college calculus (which I HIGHLY recommend). However, I do recommend taking a statistics class when you get to college, because statistics are useful regardless of what you do with your life.

I highly do not recommend taking AP Physics. As you see above, you will be taking a year worth of college classes even if you get AP credit. However, if you AP out of physics, you would have to take a year worth of college level physics beyond General Physics. I do not even know what that's called, and if you're anything like the rest of us pre-med kids, you do not want to do that to yourself.

Take all the AP credits you want, but make sure that once you get to college, your grades are UP UP UP. I myself AP'd out of Biology and Expository writing. Although in comparison with other kids that's not really much, it really helped me adjust into my first year of college. If you had to choose whether to AP out of biology or chemistry, I would suggest biology. For some reason, that is the more common one, and the one med schools are more used to seeing. Also, I believe General Chemistry will get you a little used to how you are supposed to study for Organic Chemistry, which is probably the hardest on this list.

All in all, it really depends on your situation. It also really depends on where you live now and where you are looking to go to college. However, since you are just ENTERING high school, I say forget allll of this. Challenge yourself. Push your brain a littlleeee more. It can't hurt under any circumstance. And if you ever need anything you can PM me :)
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=topic=11613.msg140009#msg140009 date=1308633404]
    It depends on which AP class you intend to take. Medical schools want to see a year of Biology, a year of General Chemistry, a year of Organic Chemistry, a year of Physics, and a year of math. Now...

If you take AP Chemistry, that is fine because you will have to take Organic Chemistry in college anyways. So long as you take it DURING the school year and get a good grade, you will be fine.

If you take AP Biology, and you major in biology, you will not have a problem because you will be taking a load of biology classes (i.e. Genetics, Neuroscience, etc etc) and so, as long as your grades in theses college classes are good, you are fine.

If you take AP Calculus, you have relieved yourself of college calculus (which I HIGHLY recommend). However, I do recommend taking a statistics class when you get to college, because statistics are useful regardless of what you do with your life.

I highly do not recommend taking AP Physics. As you see above, you will be taking a year worth of college classes even if you get AP credit. However, if you AP out of physics, you would have to take a year worth of college level physics beyond General Physics. I do not even know what that's called, and if you're anything like the rest of us pre-med kids, you do not want to do that to yourself.

Take all the AP credits you want, but make sure that once you get to college, your grades are UP UP UP. I myself AP'd out of Biology and Expository writing. Although in comparison with other kids that's not really much, it really helped me adjust into my first year of college. If you had to choose whether to AP out of biology or chemistry, I would suggest biology. For some reason, that is the more common one, and the one med schools are more used to seeing. Also, I believe General Chemistry will get you a little used to how you are supposed to study for Organic Chemistry, which is probably the hardest on this list.

All in all, it really depends on your situation. It also really depends on where you live now and where you are looking to go to college. However, since you are just ENTERING high school, I say forget allll of this. Challenge yourself. Push your brain a littlleeee more. It can't hurt under any circumstance. And if you ever need anything you can PM me :)

thank you
  • I was actually told differently in my school. When I started my undergrad (2 years ago), they told me that AP Credits and IB Credits I received in high school would count towards my general education classes (Bio 1, Chem 1, English, Histories, Foreign Language, Calculus). But they also told us that med schools don't like seeing AP Credits rather than college classes for the sciences. They said we should retake biology, and chemistry.

I like what Christ4life is saying about "You will take Organic in college anyway" etc. But if you think about it, it's a very competitive field. So if they have two students exactly the same (though that's rare), and one has AP classes covering his basic sciences, whereas the other took them in college, you know who they're gonna take.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but if you're planning on going to like... Harvard Med or something, you may want to consider taking the classes in college.

Note: I'm now an engineering major :D
  • [quote author=tenoosht link=topic=11613.msg140022#msg140022 date=1308670371]
    I was actually told differently in my school. When I started my undergrad (2 years ago), they told me that AP Credits and IB Credits I received in high school would count towards my general education classes (Bio 1, Chem 1, English, Histories, Foreign Language, Calculus). But they also told us that med schools don't like seeing AP Credits rather than college classes for the sciences. They said we should retake biology, and chemistry.

I like what Christ4life is saying about "You will take Organic in college anyway" etc. But if you think about it, it's a very competitive field. So if they have two students exactly the same (though that's rare), and one has AP classes covering his basic sciences, whereas the other took them in college, you know who they're gonna take.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but if you're planning on going to like... Harvard Med or something, you may want to consider taking the classes in college.

Note: I'm now an engineering major :D

thank you, i also have questions on being an engineer...

as a first question, what type of engineer are you or are you working toward?
  • It's a little late, but I am going for Computer Engineering :) Software mainly
  • [quote author=tenoosht link=topic=11613.msg144959#msg144959 date=1316544005]
    It's a little late, but I am going for Computer Engineering :) Software mainly

in Computer engineering, the last thing you'll working on is software.....but hang on there....it becomes better at the end.
  • for the most reliable information you should talk to your counselor and give her your idea of what you want to study, so you dont end up taking AP classes that wont benefit your choice of study. just try not be very specific on the area of study since your choice will probably change more than a couple of times.  :)