Job's Punishment

Hello:

In the book of Job, God says of his servant " Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?” So Satan answered the LORD and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing? 10 Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11 But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!” (Job 1:8-11).

The other day, I heard a sermon that says God allowed the devil to test job, because Job knew that he was innocent and good, that is, he was being self-righteous.In other words,Job had the sense of pride.So according to the sermon, God allowed the suffering to punish (not test) Job and move him to repentance.I did not understand the conclusion of this sermon, for God said that there was none like Job on the face of earth.  

Satan manages to convince God to allow him to test Job, to see if he will curse him.

Did God allow Job to suffer just to prove a point to Satan that job loved Him? Why would God care what Satan thought? Why would God punish his servant severely? I am grateful for any clarifictions.

Comments

• I don't think God was trying to lead him to repentance because the bible says that Job was righteous, one who "shuns evil." Maybe God was trying to make him more humble (spiritual).
  • Sudani,thanks!

You are right, Job says "I am righteous", of himself.That makes him being self-righteous which is not right in the sight of the Lord.Therefore, God sends him hardship to correct him from this mistake,at least according to sermon I heard.When God allows hardship to take hold of us, that hardship is temperory and ALWAYS for our own good.Even in the case of Job,the good man. However,I do not fully understand why God allowed Satan to inflict maximum hardship on his servant Job.