Why is God destroying my life

edited June 2011 in Personal Issues
I keep noticing in my life that the more I pray, read the bible, and try to get close to God, the more my life gets worse and worse. For example, I just confessed and now I am having great pain in my heart that is killing me. This is just one example. Is this normal? Can someone give me a bible verse that explains this. I feel like all the problems in my life are coming from my faith and that if I were to abandon this religion, all my problems would dissapear. Also, I have been praying the same prayers to God for many years and they are yet to be answered, even those things which are spiritual and are definitely in God's will.

Because of this,  I am very tempted to leave the faith and become a muslim, since I am concerned that this may be Allah punishing me for worshiping a false god. So, any expanation on why Islam is not the right religion would be appreciated. (Don't say something stupid like Muslims are violent or the Koran is sexist; have some humility).

Thanks,
Pray for me

Comments

• Hi Sudani. I am probably not the right person to tell you what you should do or who you should follow, but I am curious why you think God is destroying your life, and you think abandoning your faith will fix it? I understand you have not had success in the way that you would define it, but it is confusing to me that you say God has not answered your prayers even for things that are "definitely in God's will". Is it not probable, or at least possible, God's will for you is to be sought through adversity? I think it is tempting to think "God, why are YOU doing this?" in times when we are really facing darkness, but it is in those times that we persevere by accepting that we don't understand everything that God has planned or allowed for us, and it is best to be faithful and submit ourselves fully to His divine will, as it is what is best for us, as children of the true God. This is true "islam" (submission), quite unlike Muhammad's religion.
  • I am interested, why is it Islam that you feel is the religion with the "true god" who is "punishing" you?

I can not say anything of Islam; I am only assured of my faith. What I can tell you, is that whatever closeness or intimacy your having with God right now, is a false one, and don't try to trick yourself into saying that it is a righteous one. Not one person who can say that they have built a closer relationship with God and have seen their life deteriorate. Let me tell you, intimacy with God does indeed deteriorate your life; but most likely not in the way you expect it. If you're close to God, you feel true happiness; but only with God...everything else, you look at it, and you don't see it measuring up to the love that God has granted me and you both. In this sense, you reject the world, and the worldly life, and its possessions, become useless to you, as you know only true and great happiness comes from God.

Sudani, you are currently being tricked by the devil. Pray, pray repeatedly and fervently; pray that God may show you his fear and his true love.
  • i don't have any kind of grounds to comment on the Islamic religion for my studies about it aren't deep enough but on the other topics this is what i have learned over the past couple of years and i hope this helps; when we look for a deeper relationship with God we struggle, what seems to be, more than ever, why? of course because the devil stands in our path but mostly because we are abandoning our old ways and for sure the way we walk in Christ is more difficult (spiritually) than without Christ and this is because when we are not walking in Christ's way we have no worry of what we are doing wrong or right we just do as we please, but with Christ we become watchful and careful not to fall into the wide path but strive to squeeze through the narrow gate, for example if i have a very fragile and very valuable vase in my hand if i don't know it is fragile and valuable i have no worry of how i hold it or what i do but if i know it's worth and fragility i will be watchful of course. Faith is a journey of struggle and it takes a strong faith, mind and hope to endure this journey. Also on the topic of God's will, it is a difficult one, but anyway sometimes we love to think what we ask for is God's way without doubt but we as faulted beings can never be sure of God's divine will which works in the way of His divine plan, if you will, mostly my personal belief is that God does not hinder our spirituality but rather we do this to ourselves even emotionally we hinder ourselves; as an example if i am angry no one has made me angry but myself i have allowed my own emotions to rule me rather than the Holy Spirit; the example of how we spiritually hinder ourselves would be as follows; i can kneel and pray every night that God may grant me patience and humility or whatsoever, now God will of course do his part but what am i doing to accomplish my humility and patience. i don't necessarily believe in the saying that "God helps those who help themselves" in fact i believe this i contrary to the Bible but i believe that we must do our part for the simple reason that if i truly desire something at all i would do what i can to attain it, i truly hope this helps i am not an expert for my spirituality is small also i am very sorry for the length i hope my points were clear and if not i am absolutely happy to clarify.
    God bless :)
  • I hope you are well in the Lord. I have a few comments on Islam and their god.

let me ask you this, Christ left all to die and take our sins to grant us eternal life. What did "Allah" give? I will tell you, to live life by the sword and to have a virgin filled paradise. He couldnt even come to do anything. Christ gave His life for you and I. He left a commandment of love, which we follow to our best. Compare the followers of Islam.

When someone passes away we are comforted that it is a mere bridge that they cross, death is a bridge to eternal life with Him.  A muslim is distressed and heartbroken to where their loved ones go, they wont see them again, we will though. That hope is from the Risen Lord. That is why we live, to attain unity with Christ- to live with Him forever.

We are united with Christ through His Body and Blood, He lives in us and we in Him. That is the greatest thing one could ask for. It the pinnacle of our Christian life. It grants us true peace despite the problems, love for others, hope, joy, strength to fight and live for Him.Tell me how do you unite with Allah, "Kill the infidels" so that one could be a martyr and their reward of destroying lives and being a true muslim wrecking livelihoods: a virgin infested paradise full of sexual thoughts and pleasures.

The fact that you are tested is because you love God dearly, otherwise there would be no fight. Who said a Christian life was a brezze? If it was then how could God be just in granting us a reward for doing no efforts? An athelete is only granted a medal after months of training, hours of mental prepartion and goes on even though it is diffcult all to win the prized medal. " To those who overcome I will grant them the crown of life." To overcome means to fight, to battle, to do so requires the grace of the Holy Spirit, alone will fail miserably and will not be able to fight alone, we will be crushed. Besides, did not God say, "“Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom."- Luke 12:32.

Dont be overly worried, rely on God and He will sustain you. Do not believe that Allah a false god and a great deciever to many can fix your problems. Jesus Christ saved you, died for you, rose to grant you a new life all out of Love.

God love you,

He will sustain you,

FOrgive me if i sounded rude or harsh.
  • [quote author=Sudani link=topic=11598.msg139370#msg139370 date=1307929244]
    I keep noticing in my life that the more I pray, read the bible, and try to get close to God, the more my life gets worse and worse. For example, I just confessed and now I am having great pain in my heart that is killing me. This is just one example. Is this normal? Can someone give me a bible verse that explains this. I feel like all the problems in my life are coming from my faith and that if I were to abandon this religion, all my problems would dissapear. Also, I have been praying the same prayers to God for many years and they are yet to be answered, even those things which are spiritual and are definitely in God's will.

Because of this,  I am very tempted to leave the faith and become a muslim, since I am concerned that this may be Allah punishing me for worshiping a false god. So, any expanation on why Islam is not the right religion would be appreciated. (Don't say something stupid like Muslims are violent or the Koran is sexist; have some humility).

Thanks,
    Pray for me

I don't think EVERY bad event in life is from God. I know that God chastises us, but you'll know if He is teaching u a lesson.

• You may have heard this short story before, but if not, it may be of some inspiration.

One night I had a dream.
    I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
    Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
    For each scene, I noticed two sets
    of footprints in the sand,
    one belonging to me
    and one to my Lord.

When the last scene of my life shot before me
    I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
    There was only one set of footprints.
    I realized that this was at the lowest
    and saddest times of my life.
    This always bothered me
    and I questioned the Lord
    about my dilemma.

“Lord, you told me when I decided to follow You,
    You would walk and talk with me all the way.
    But I'm aware that during the most troublesome
    times of my life there is only one set of footprints.
    I just don't understand why, when I needed You most,
    You leave me.”

He whispered, “My precious child,
    I love you and will never leave you
    never, ever, during your trials and testings.
    When you saw only one set of footprints
    it was then that I carried you.

• Watch from 36:00 for about the next 5 minutes (I actually recommend watching every bit of the entire series because it's a great one). It relates directly to what you're saying.
  • Thank you very much for the video George, I found it very helpful. And thank you all for your helpful comments and prayers. I feel reassured of my faith. Also the pain that I was in has went away, at least for now.
  • thanks to God.
    keep reading the Bible and praying so you are strong to fight in the spiritual struggle.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=11598.msg139561#msg139561 date=1308164664]

Watch from 36:00 for about the next 5 minutes (I actually recommend watching every bit of the entire series because it's a great one). It relates directly to what you're saying.

That was a great video for this thread! Nice find, George. We tend to think that the closer we get to God, the more comfy our life will be - in fact the opposite is usually true.
  • God = Good

God is not destroying anyone's life.

• [quote author=Anathema link=topic=11598.msg139370#msg139370 date=1307929244]

Thanks,
    Pray for me

I am actually not surprised.

You are a malcontent. A quick examination of the rest of your posts on this board can see that you spill hatred towards the OO and EO church alike (example, your replies regarding monasteries to visit Egypt). Perhaps if your attitude changed you will not be led astray by your own negativity.