120 Years Max ???

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
In Genesis 6:3 it says, "And the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

and then later on

Ishmael: one hundred and thirty-seven years (Genesis 25:17)
Isaac: one hundred and eighty years (Genesis 35:28)
Jacob: one hundred and forty-seven years (Genesis 47:28)
Levi: one hundred and thirty-seven (Exodus 6:16)
Kohath: one hundred and thirty-three (Exodus 6:18)
Amram: one hundred and thirty-seven (Exodus 6:20)

I am confused

Comments

• I hope I live to 180.
  • I think it means of all of mankind rather than just one person.

But then again I don't know.....wow this is confusing, wonder if anyone here can explain this to us.
  • This refers to the period of 120 years between then and the flood which God gave mankind to repent.

Here is what St. Ephraim says in his commentary on Genesis:
    [quote: [quote author=St. Ephraim] This generation will not live nine hundred years like the previous generations, for it is flesh and its days are filled with the deeds of flesh. Therefore, their days will be one hundred and twenty years. If they repent during this time they will be saved from the wrath that is about to come upon them. But if they do not repent, by their deeds they will down [the wrath] upon themselves." Grace granted one hundred and twenty years for repentance to a generation that according to Justice was not worthy of repentance.

I apologize for any errors in that quote. I had to type it myself as the book is only available as a pdf with images of each page (i.e. you can't highlight or copy text)
  • yeah, like in rich countries today it is correct to say that people live to be 85.
    but that doesn't mean no-one can live to 95 or 100, just that it is normal to live to 85 or less.
    i am planning to live till tomorrow, at least  ;)