does God speak through our parents always ?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
aghapy everyone ,

If your parents disagree to the one you want to marry , does that mean God is also disagreeing ?
They say God speaks through your parents. How do you know what gods will is &; whether or not he wants you to marry that person ? thank u

forgive me ,  
+mahraeel+

Comments

• hi i remember you psted a while back on here about will coptic parents would they accept a spouse that use to be a muslim..

i am guessing you are in that positon marheel i must advise you and ask you do your parents know this guy? if they do not maybe they heard of him bad things just cause he use to be a muslim and just cause of that they will not accept him even if they do not know him

i think you should get to know they guy better and see where it goes and contuine to speak to your foc and your mom about this let her understand the person he is salam hoped i helped =)
  • anthor thing that can relate to this  is from a topic i posted yesterday here is a great response i recived

You have free will to maryy whoever you like... If your question is, is God okay with you marrying someone outside your culture the answer is also yes... As long as your partner Loves God before you, and you also love God before your partner. God does not care about culture, we men care about culture. Does God want you to marry someone who does not accept him,  NO , because he/she may become a stumbling block for you and your children. 

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:59:05 PM by Meena_Ameen » 

• If your parents have a united will with God, then He speaks through them.

If you have a united will with God, you will listen to Him.

His Will is for one to be good, and to be happy.
  • if you disagree with your parents, get some neutral person (ideally someone like a mature auntie/uncle) to give advice to all of you.
    some parents will never think anyone is good enough for you, so waiting indefinately is not always the best way.
    but if no-one agrees with you (mature church friends, priests etc) about who you should marry, then maybe they are right.
    we can't really advise you here as we don't know the situation.
  • To quickly summarize , the boy is a convert from Islam to Christianity . His past is not pure , however who are we to judge ? The savior said if we repent then all our sins are washed away and forgiven . Most people seem to disagree with the relationship  because they believe it is not God's will . Also they are merely judging according to the way he acted and presented himself in the past . The boy has given up his Muslim family for this girl &; has developed his career & studies for her also .. for the future . They are also trying to build a spiritual and pure relationship with Christ as the central foundation.  Is it wrong that the mother is banning their communication altogether without even allowing to understand the situation or getting to know the boy ? Is this what God wants ? Or is he maybe just punishing the couple for not having him in the relationship from the beginning and possibly doing this as a wake up call for repentance ?

sorry for confusion
    +mahraeel+
  • she is only scared 4 u look at what is going on in egypt.. she is scared this guy might try to get you to convert to islam i dont blame her but she has no right to judge him cause she needs to get to know him.. she is only scared for your well being
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=11447.msg138060#msg138060 date=1305591997]
    To quickly summarize , the boy is a convert from Islam to Christianity . His past is not pure , however who are we to judge ? The savior said if we repent then all our sins are washed away and forgiven . Most people seem to disagree with the relationship  because they believe it is not God's will . Also they are merely judging according to the way he acted and presented himself in the past . The boy has given up his Muslim family for this girl &; has developed his career & studies for her also .. for the future . They are also trying to build a spiritual and pure relationship with Christ as the central foundation.  Is it wrong that the mother is banning their communication altogether without even allowing to understand the situation or getting to know the boy ? Is this what God wants ? Or is he maybe just punishing the couple for not having him in the relationship from the beginning and possibly doing this as a wake up call for repentance ?

sorry for confusion
    +mahraeel+

In the book of Genesis, its pretty clear that the reason God's spirit couldn't dwell with men was because they were seduced by the beauty of women outside of God's presence, however it does seem to sometimes happen in reverse.

In my church there is Vietnamese man who is now Coptic, who started as a Buddhist and is now a faithful Copt.  His observance as deacon is exemplary and he comes to church of  his own will and he speaks very confidently and rationally about why he believes in the God and the Orthodox Church.

If this person was a Moslem and has given up his beliefs to the point where he would now be putting his life at risk then this must be something that we should all stand up and take notice of.

There aren't any hard and fast rules about when God will and won't speak because each situation is different but what I will say is this, if the man is genuine then God will convince the parents that this is His will.  God is not weak like we are when we execute our wills, if this thing is from God His hand will overcome any obstacles, if the obstacles remain then we know that this is not from Him.
  • the obstacles also can be from what people see in egypt and are worried for there daugther. esspecially this issue as many coptics see the sitation in egypt and of course there is rage in them from what happens to there brothers and sisters in egypt daily so most likley that is not the will of god the will god wants for us all is to follow him and obey his commands and i am a former muslim i can speak to this better then anyone

i know the rage alot of people have and fear for there brothers and sisters in egypt so once a muslim becomes christian alot of the time he will face hardships at church and backlash from muslims from converting that is just the life we live in

so people will confuess that for gods will but what people do not see is gods will working on this person going to church taking communion living his life close to the way  christ lived  hat is gods will in true works

if you were to marry would you want to marry a born christian who is not very religous or a former muslim who is now christian who loves the lord with all his heart and wants to bring you closer to the lord in marriage also??
  • [quote author=LifeInDeath link=topic=11447.msg138069#msg138069 date=1305601136]
    [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=11447.msg138060#msg138060 date=1305591997]
    To quickly summarize , the boy is a convert from Islam to Christianity . His past is not pure , however who are we to judge ? The savior said if we repent then all our sins are washed away and forgiven . Most people seem to disagree with the relationship  because they believe it is not God's will . Also they are merely judging according to the way he acted and presented himself in the past . The boy has given up his Muslim family for this girl &; has developed his career & studies for her also .. for the future . They are also trying to build a spiritual and pure relationship with Christ as the central foundation.  Is it wrong that the mother is banning their communication altogether without even allowing to understand the situation or getting to know the boy ? Is this what God wants ? Or is he maybe just punishing the couple for not having him in the relationship from the beginning and possibly doing this as a wake up call for repentance ?

sorry for confusion
    +mahraeel+

In the book of Genesis, its pretty clear that the reason God's spirit couldn't dwell with men was because they were seduced by the beauty of women outside of God's presence, however it does seem to sometimes happen in reverse.

In my church there is Vietnamese man who is now Coptic, who started as a Buddhist and is now a faithful Copt.  His observance as deacon is exemplary and he comes to church of  his own will and he speaks very confidently and rationally about why he believes in the God and the Orthodox Church.

If this person was a Moslem and has given up his beliefs to the point where he would now be putting his life at risk then this must be something that we should all stand up and take notice of.

There aren't any hard and fast rules about when God will and won't speak because each situation is different but what I will say is this, if the man is genuine then God will convince the parents that this is His will.  God is not weak like we are when we execute our wills, if this thing is from God His hand will overcome any obstacles, if the obstacles remain then we know that this is not from Him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the obstacles also can be from what people see in egypt and are worried for there daugther. esspecially this issue as many coptics see the sitation in egypt and of course there is rage in them from what happens to there brothers and sisters in egypt daily so most likley that is not the will of god the will god wants for us all is to follow him and obey his commands and i am a former muslim i can speak to this better then anyone

i know the rage alot of people have and fear for there brothers and sisters in egypt so once a muslim becomes christian alot of the time he will face hardships at church and backlash from muslims from converting that is just the life we live in

so people will confuess that for gods will but what people do not see is gods will working on this person going to church taking communion living his life close to the way  christ lived  hat is gods will in true works

if you were to marry would you want to marry a born christian who is not very religous or a former muslim who is now christian who loves the lord with all his heart and wants to bring you closer to the lord in marriage also??
  • If you are a born Muslim who has the conviction to become Christian in that environment then you must be a very brave person.

I hope that God sustains all of our brothers and sisters in Egypt.
  • mahraeel, you said 'God was not in the relationship from the beginning'.
    so it seems to me that God IS testing you both to see you both putting Him before your relationship with each other.
    would you really still love and follow Jesus even if you can't marry this man?
    i am not asking you to tell us the answer to this, but you need to talk to God about it privately.

as i said to bigeee in his post, if no-one supports the marriage, maybe it is right to wait. in a marriage, you need some support from outside (at least some friends to say (eg.) men are often like that, it's not a big deal, keep loving him and he will soon agree to compromise with you.) so if there is no-one to support you from outside, maybe it's best to wait until you have both rebuilt some friendships with people who will see how you both waited patiently and trusted God, and who will then support you.

i know there can be a problem with our community, and people can judge without knowing the harm they are doing. this is wrong. if both of you have repented from your previous sins (and we all sin) and are following God, then you both should have some support. but wait and let God build you both up and make you more like our Lord Jesus as you patiently endure the hardship of waiting.

i had a long argument with a friend who said he would never marry someone who is not a virgin. i told him just because he is a virgin, it doesn't mean he is better than someone who is not. he did not have her life experiences so he can't say he would have done better. and also God forgave her. i hope he becomes more forgiving, as God has forgiven him (and all of us) so many sins.
  • we all sin you are right but the fact i am a former muslim raises a big red flag before they even know me or try to even get to know me our lord jesus does not command judgement toward one anthor and this is the case with me  and some might confues it with gods will when truly it is the persons opinion on me through there un rightous judgement

so to say rebuild some friendships and get support the suport is supposed to be from the same people who judge in the begging that is why i do not care what they say cause they do not view me as a christian striving toward our lord jesus christ just like them but i am the former muslim by up to something in there heart and there is always this big red flag in there hearts and eyes toward me

every situation is different if the whole world hates us for example is that not a blessing cause we have the lord jesus christ we are fighthing for him in our lives praying doing whatever it takes to please him

people judge esspecialy cause what happens in egypt but it is still not right the judgement of a human is not the will of our lord jesus christ!
  • i believe if you are very patient and try to do God's will all the time, you will have friends and support for the marriage.
    sometimes God wants us to love our enemies until they become our friends. sometimes He wants us to look somewhere else for friends.
    how long did you have to wait so far? (feel free to send pm if you don't want to give so much public details) many times in the psalms we are told to wait on the Lord. in the waiting we become stronger and more beautiful inside.
    may God give you and mahraeel and everyone in this situation great peace and patience.
  • I have been in this relationship for only 5 months however i have known him for almost 3 years where we developed a strong bond &; eventually developed feelings for each other. However, i am so afraid because my mother is completely against this altogether. I can't give up because i have loved with my mind not only my heart. Yet, i cannot distinguish what God truly wants.

+mahraeel+
  • god wants you to do the right thing involve god in the relationship and everything will be ok !  bring gods will into it and you will be blessed ok first comes lord 2nd comes relationship  no christ no love
  • &; if parents do not approve of the marriage then how can it be blessed ?

+mahraeel+
  • just cause the guy is a former muslim they wont agree but if you do the right thing and pray and take communion and encourage each other to bring yourselfs closer to the lord jesus christ that is blessed ! gods will is not the judgement of what a person use to be  but the will of god is bought into the relitonship by following his rules and laws!
  • does anyone else agree with bigeee ? Because a decision cannot be made now . As mabsoota said ,  it takes prayer &; patience.

+mahraeel+
  • marhaeel did u get my personal message? i meant it i have to go now
  • Listen to the wisdom of your lovely parents!!They know and see things that you can not know and see.You surely know,they always want the very best for you.Read some chapters in Genesis to find out how God led Abraham,Isaac and others to find their spouses.

My 2 cents.
  • my parents turned on me cause of religon ok nd if your gana be mad he chose jesus over them then thats your issue but jesus is number 1 and  what a shame he chose jesus and your parents will turn on you for chosing him just cause he use to be muslim? cause he is doing the right things striving to christ is that right? tell me marheel ?