Shopping for a new Holy Bible: A Few Questions

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello all,

It is time now for me to get a new Bible. I have only the NAB that was given to me by the Roman Catholic Church (it is the version used by English-speaking Catholics in the USA) and my mother's old NIV Bible, which I have never used but keep because it was her most cherished personal possession.

I have been told that the only English translation that is officially sanctioned by the Coptic Orthodox Church is the NKJV. Is this true? How are the "apocryphal" books handled, then? Are they included in the NKJV somewhere? I had been told that they are not, but I don't own it, so I don't know.

If this is true, I will buy one as soon as I can. But it also confuses me, because so many Coptic Orthodox websites I have seen also sell the "Orthodox Study Bible". Is this also acceptable? Is one preferred over the other?

Also, I have been told by some EO friends that the Orthodox Study Bible has some problems, mostly in the footnotes that are in some places a little questionable. I don't know why that is, but those who don't like it have recommended to me the RSV ("Common Bible" with apocrypha, published by Collins). Do any of you have experience with the RSV? Is it acceptable? Would it be acceptable or helpful to perhaps buy a few Bibles -- the NKJV (as it is in common use), and perhaps also the RSV or OSB for comparative or other purposes?

Finally, what do I do with the old NAB that was given to me by the RCC? I don't really want to keep it, as I've never liked it to begin with (no, not even when I was RC), but I don't know what to do with it. Do I give to charity? Do I keep it anyway even though it is not reliable or helpful to me?

Thank you and God bless you for any help. Please pray for me, a sinner.

Comments

• i love the orthodox study Bible, it is very useful in personal study and when discussing things with friends, and i didn't find a better one so far.
    there will probably be a better one coming out in the next few years, but don't wait.

as for the other Bible, you could donate it to a church, hospital, hotel, homeless shelter etc. it's better to have a slightly inaccurate translation than none at all.
  • The orthodox study bible is in NKJV and it has the "apocryphal" books.
  • Hi all,
    While the Orthodox study bible is a very good translation (at least in my eyes) and it has some very valuable commentaries, it makes it difficult to have a bible study of some books. The problem is that they used different sources when prparing books like proverbs and the book of Jeremiah. Their are a lot of parts that are placed differently within books then they are in other bibles, so if you are the person who likes to have group bible studies, and is itending to use your bible for such meeting, i would not go with the orthodox study bible.

Im not of much help as to hwat to buy, i personally would not buy the orthodox study bible if you meet the above conditions. Other than that, its a great bible.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • I have the Orthodox Study Bible and I like it a lot. Most of the valuable commentaries are quotes from saints (St. John Chrysostom is quoted a lot as well as many other saints). But even without the commentaries, the Septuagint translation of the OT is pretty good. The NT is NKJV which is also good since it is what we use in church so there is no mixed translation between what we hear in church and what we read on our own.

God Bless
  • I believe that the Orthodox Study arranges the books in accordance with the Orthodox tradition rather than the Protestant one.

It would be a good idea for all members of a Church Bible Study to be encouraged to use the Orthodox Study Bible, or other Orthodox Bible rather than a protestant one.

Father Peter
  • Thank you everyone for your wonderful insights. Really I just want to get whatever one is most likely to be used in any Coptic church I visit, and then perhaps another one for comparative purposes and additional study.

If I understand correctly, the OSB is NKJV so there would no point in buying both because they're the same. Is that right? The OSB is essentially the NKJV plus the apocrypha, with (generally) Orthodox footnotes? If that's the case, I suppose I could just buy that.

If I were to buy the OSB and show up to liturgy or Bible study and find everyone using the NKJV, would I be able to follow along? (I'm thinking of possible problems in such a situation like ordering of the books, pagination issues, etc.)

Also, is there anything that might be objectionable in the OSB from a non-Chalcedonian standpoint? I was listening to Fr. Thomas Hopko's podcast on Bible translations last night (he recommends the RSV) and he mentioned the fact that Roman Catholic bibles have a very "Catholic" slant to them. Since the OSB was prepared (I think) for Eastern Orthodox, not necessarily Oriental Orthodox, I worry about getting into a similar situation. I know that the faith shared by the OO and EO is much more substantial than whatever is shared between RCs and Orthodox of either position, but I just don't want to be nudged away from my path in the process of trying to follow it more closely.

Sorry for all these questions! I figure this is an important enough issue that I should ask everything I can think of before I make a decision. Thanks again for all of your help.
  • Hey Dzheremi!

The OSB uses the NKJV for the new testament and the Septuagint for the Old Testament. In the Septuagint the Chapters are sometimes arranged differently than in Hebrew manuscripts and some verses present in Hebrew aren't there in the Septuagint (Greek) and vice versa.

On the most part you would be able to follow along, but there is always some points where a verse isn't in the Hebrew and then the whole numbering for the Chapter is different. Also in the Psalms all of the verse numberings are 1 higher, because they include the introduction line (like: "A Psalm of David" or "A Psalm of the Sons of Korah"). On the most part, it is quite easy to follow along as you can usually use common sense to figure out which verses correspond to which.
    [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=11235.msg135755#msg135755 date=1302464674]
    Also, is there anything that might be objectionable in the OSB from a non-Chalcedonian standpoint? I was listening to Fr. Thomas Hopko's podcast on Bible translations last night (he recommends the RSV) and he mentioned the fact that Roman Catholic bibles have a very "Catholic" slant to them. Since the OSB was prepared (I think) for Eastern Orthodox, not necessarily Oriental Orthodox, I worry about getting into a similar situation. I know that the faith shared by the OO and EO is much more substantial than whatever is shared between RCs and Orthodox of either position, but I just don't want to be nudged away from my path in the process of trying to follow it more closely.

I don't think that is a problem at all. Other than references to the two natures of Christ (which I would say is ambiguous terminology, but not necessarily wrong) there is little that can be objectionable. There are certain footnotes (which are very few: maybe 2 or 3) that may be debatable (about the antichrist and the abomination of desolation) but other than that I haven't found anything.

Overall having used the NKJV and the OSB, I'd highly recommended the OSB.

• Orthodox Christian should use a version of the Bible that uses the Septuagint if they have a choice, and there are more and more versions of the LXX in English. In terms of a Bible Study it would be better for people to have to follow the LXX rather than that those using an Orthodox version of the Bible should have to adopt a Protestant one.
  • Thank you, everyone. It seems like the consensus here is pretty solidly in favor of the OSB. I will look into getting one as soon as I can. I must shamefully admit that my spiritual life has suffered considerably lately ever since I realized that I don't really have a good translation of the Holy Bible. It was only a week or so ago when I had a question about a part of a certain psalm in the Agpeya that was not understandable to me, so I went to the NAB and couldn't even find the corresponding line! Such are the differences in the translations that the NAB is at certain points completely useless for me personally.

• What are your thoughts on the NRSV Bible, father? Apparently, it is the most widely used by scholars.
  • I guess that there is a difference between using a Bible version for personal spirituality, and doing proper study. My view is probably that it is better to be reading ANY Bible than none, and as long as a person does not have a protestant attitude of wanting to insist on their own interpretation of Scripture then it is possible to benefit from an easy to understand version, but also submit to the proper understanding of the Bible.

I am using the NKJV, but I also use a variety of translations and commentaries to get a broader patristic understanding of a passage if I am studying it with others in a Bible Study. Sometimes I will use the Greek versions, when using the Old Testament I will turn to the new LXX versions in English.

I think that the OSB is good enough until and if an authoritative OO study Bible is produced. I would say that we probably don't know the Bible well enough in ANY version and so ANY version is generally fine, except for very protestant versions and paraphases which lose too much of the meaning and present a particular non-Orthodox view point. If we all knew the Bible very well then perhaps it would be more reasonable for us to worry too much about generally equivalent translations.

I say this to myself.
  • http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/eob/ vs the OSB

which one would you guys recommend out of those two?

• Here is my two cents on the study Bible.

There is not one study Bible out there that will suffice. If you are looking for historical, geographical, archeological, .. perspective then I recomment the Nelson NKJ is an excellent resource. The caveat is that it has some protestant views like (the angels marrying human girls in Noah's story and St Mary is not an ever virgin)

If you are looking for an Orthodox spiritual Bible strudy, then the Orthodox Septuagint is good except it leans toward the Eastern dogma concerning Christology and the mention of the seven ecumenical councils

Thanks.
  • [quote author=orthodox4ever link=topic=11235.msg135772#msg135772 date=1302482977]
    http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/eob/ vs the OSB

which one would you guys recommend out of those two?

Right now the Eastern Orthodox Bible only has the new testament so it isn't really a full Bible yet.
  • I assume I will stick with the study Bible since I am uncertain about the Eastern Orhodox Bible publishers.

Thanks
  • This is the one that I use; the commentary can be a bit redundant in some parts, but is excellent at explaining verses and giving background info in others. All in all, I would recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Nelsons-Study-Bible-Thomas-Nelson/dp/0718014154
  • Count my vote with OSB please.
  • I use the OSB as my main Bible for studies, devotions and reflections. I also use the NAB,  RSV and Jerusalem Bible (RC version) for historical studies. The RSV is used in many semenaries (esp. RC ones) and have a solid reputation as the most faithfully translated version. The NSRV tend to use 'politically-correct" agendas such as "all inclusive language". The Jerusalem Bible is a scholarly one.
  • why are there so many biblical translations out there? To some people ,specially muslims and atheists, the existance of so many versions of the bible is an indication that it is corrupted and hence no longer the word of God.There are also many who say that the bible has undergone interpolations and distortions.How does one answer these concerns?
  • Orthodox Study Bible... but be careful of the footnotes...

there are many translations out there for everyone to receive the word of God in every language... there is the same thing through the quran, and even the Torah... but for Christianity and Judaism there is a manuscript, where we can find our exact original writings and teachings.... but if you go to Islam they found the manuscript on potato sacks, in Yemen, but when they did the tests, they dated it for before Mohammad by 100-200 years, and it had previous writing and the quran was written after that... not only that but the "original" quran has not "tashkeel" or accent marks, which will give to each word about thirty meanings. so its way different.

now I have a question for you, who appeared on our church? saint mary, right? she appeared on a church which has this bible with the so many translation, so she agrees with it, and she's a worshiper of God, and Christianity... now, you tell me which other place of worship can have such an evidence that is seen by all faiths no matter what they are?!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka
  • [quote author=✞SuperMAN✞(BAM)✞ link=topic=11235.msg138137#msg138137 date=1305684735]
    Orthodox Study Bible... but be careful of the footnotes...

there are many translations out there for everyone to receive the word of God in every language... there is the same thing through the quran, and even the Torah... but for Christianity and Judaism there is a manuscript, where we can find our exact original writings and teachings.... but if you go to Islam they found the manuscript on potato sacks, in Yemen, but when they did the tests, they dated it for before Mohammad by 100-200 years, and it had previous writing and the quran was written after that... not only that but the "original" quran has not "tashkeel" or accent marks, which will give to each word about thirty meanings. so its way different.

now I have a question for you, who appeared on our church? saint mary, right? she appeared on a church which has this bible with the so many translation, so she agrees with it, and she's a worshiper of God, and Christianity... now, you tell me which other place of worship can have such an evidence that is seen by all faiths no matter what they are?!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka

I understand what you are trying to say.The problem is how do you make others understand, unless they are christians like you? I know that St Mary appears,but others dismiss it.I know that our bible is inerrant and inspired,but others speak of corruption and interpolation.I actually do not care what the muslims think about us or the bible ,but I have friends who throw such accusations at me.It is them I want to win back into the churchs fold. Thanks for your contribution.
  • my beloved Mozes,

if you get into discussion with people about the validity of the bible... they will 80% take you to their side... and 100% will not listen, my advice to you is study your bible to the fullest, and grow your friendship with God, my beloved, Peter ran away from God and denied Him, but when He was strengthened by the Holy Spirit He won 3000 people in one sermon.

study your bible and live close to God... and when someone tells you there is somethings taken out, and put in... show them why, and what happened... I speak to people of different faith including atheists on a daily basis, and believe me, when I was not ready it HURT me severely... and I can never say I am ready, but they teach me so much, by the things they say, and I go research it right away.

also remember Saint Mary appears and is videotaped... no atheist can give you an answer to how that happened, how can birds shape the sign of the cross... they disagree or dismiss it... show them the vidoes, the pictures.

neshkor Allah Akhadna el baraka.
  • Superman,thanks. Always a pleasure to read you.

God Bless