marriage to cousins

2»

Comments

• I seriously doubt that. If they didn't approve of it, then they would have stopped it by now (they can do that). Also, if the Coptic Church didn't approve of it, why haven't I ever heard of any type of contradiction to the issue? Are you absolutely sure that the church is against it Akhenaton? If so how did u know? Did someone tell u or did u read it in a book or something? Let me know, I'm very interested about that bit of info.
  • Hi, Actually, the church does not look down upon it, however it does not promote it. It seems, that the church has taken a neutral stance on this issue. I just want to clarify, that having children with a cousin, does not institue retardation, or other deffects. This only occurs, when it is a third or fourth generation of first cousin marriages (their parents, grandparents, great grandparents... have married their first cousin). The issue is looked down upon, here in the States, because of cultural differences. However, in Europe and many places in the Middle East, marriage to a cousin is quite common. Unfortunately, the reasons for this were not originally heartfelt, marriage to cousins, was originally instituted, to keep wealth in the family, or simply because, the two families already knew each other. Im not saying, that it would be great to marry a cousin. Just that I would rather marry someone, that is knew to me!

• Yeah Peter, that's what I thought, that it wasn't looked down upon. I live in a really Jewish community and they are all (and I mean all) married to their cousins because of their wealth. Unfortunately many many children come out with retardations, especially downs syndrome. Maybe that is because of what u mentioned.
  • i think this whole topic has taken a weird turn somewhere... everyone must understand that no1 can take OWNERSHIP of a forum just because they started it, and it also gives no right to anyone posting to feel free to bash (harsh word.hehehe) another's opinion.. i guess what i'm trying to say is... why can't we all get along? before we go lookin to get married to cousins or not, let's look to be good,whole, well-rounded adults... take it easy..
    -mary
  • As marys has already said... this is yet the oddest forum to come! (my words taken from hers...if u dont mind marys)
    anyways... to sum this up
    it really depends on what culture and generation u were raised in, or on... :o
    anyways... plz stop argueing ppl!
    wut happened to 'brotherly love' agape?!
  • Okay, honestly, aside from religion for a moment, would anyone really want to marry their cousin? I mean, honestly people...
  • It doesn't really matter who started the forum, or whatever. The topic is odd, however, as people with egyptian families, it is something that is not overlooked when the time comes to marry. So, I think its great that we have an opportunity to learn more about the topic. Instead of complaining from each others responses, a simple criticism would be more than great. Lets keep our minds on the topics at hand, instead of how to demean others! Thanks, Peter