Evidence for female leadership in Church

I am going to present some evidence that shows females as leaders in the Early Church. It was presented to me by a professor of mine. To those who endure through this long post, I thank you. I think this is an important issue. The implications are that women were leaders of the early church so there is no reason why they shouldn't be now.

1) Galations 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

2) 1 Corinthians 11:10 "For this reason a woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels."

3) Acts 2:17-18 “‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy."

---The three passages above are normative and lead to behavior documented in the descriptive texts below:

1. Romans 16:1-2 "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae. I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of his people and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been the benefactor of many people, including me." Phoebe as a 'minister' and as patron]

2. Romans 16:6-7 "Greet Mary, who worked very hard for you. Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was."
[Junia as an outstanding apostle]

3. Philippians 4:1-3 "1 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends! I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life."
[Euodia and Syntuche as 'co-workers']

4. Acts 18:1-3 "After this, Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. There he met a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had ordered all Jews to leave Rome. Paul went to see them, and because he was a tentmaker as they were, he stayed and worked with them." [[Priscilla and Aquila as 'co-workers' and house-church leaders]

5. Acts 18: 24-26 "Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor[a] and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John. He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately."
[Priscilla and Aquila as 'co-workers' and house-church leaders]

6. 1 Corinthians 11:5 "But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved." [Female prophets]

7. Acts 21:9 "He had four unmarried daughters who prophesied." [Female prophets]

8. 1 Corinthians 7:13-16 "And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?" [Christian wife as spiritual leader in a mixed marriage]

9. Colossians 4:15 "Give my greetings to the brothers and sisters at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house."
[Nympha as house-church leader]

---1 Corinthians 14:33-35 and 1 Timothy 2:8-15 are taken to be corrective texts that address specific time-limited pastoral problems; had they been normative instructions, no women leaders would have been mentioned in the writings of the NT.

St. John Chrysostom
- "Homilies on Romans 31" on Romans 16:6-7

"Think how great the devotion of this woman Junia must have been , that she should be worthy to be called an apostle!"

Theoderet - "Interpretation of the Letter to the Romans" on Romans 16:7

"These people were companions of Paul in his sufferings and even shared imprisonment with him. Hence he says that they are men and women of note, not among the pupils but among the teachers, and not among the ordinary teachers but among the apostles!"

Origen - "Commentary of the Epistle to the Romans" on Romans 16:1-12

"This passage teaches that there were women ordained in the church's ministry by the apostle's authority."

---I would appreciate your thoughts. What is the church's response? Why aren't women allowed to be leaders in the church? Please use evidence from the first century. I am trying to prepare a counter-argument to my professor who believes that males just want to dominate and Jesus and Paul were working to reform the gender roles and power in society and there is no reason a woman could not be a priest. They were, in the first century, he would say.

Comments

• I am sorry.....but i don't see how this changes anything about the Church's standing concerning "Ordination of women in priesthood"
    A leadership position (or a teaching, a service a ministry or even apostleship/discipleship of some kind) is not forbidden in the Church....but a position on the priesthood is. There is a very important differnce here.
  • LOL Unworthy1,

You put a smile on my face :)

Junia might be a man...check on that, or not, just read the note on St. John Chrysostom.  I know for sure Aquila and Priscilla were men (yes, they sound like girls' names, but they were in fact men).  Unworthy1, all these verses show that indeed men and women are equal in the eyes of God and the church, however, I fail to see how women are given a role of leadership in the church?

[edit] And when I say role of leadership, as Mina pointed out, the priesthood or anything like that.

As a side note, to all the ladies out there...and to whoever has this problem...the problem of women's roles in the church comes up in every single confession with my father of confession, without fail, it's a problem that I struggle with...I wanted to share my father of confession's advice: Even if God intended women to have roles in the church or there are "unfair" things (I'm not going to say whether there is or isn't, just saying), obedience is always required, men or women, obedience is key to a lot of things.  By blindly obeying authority figures in the church, we are freed from judgment.  We may think that something is unfair but we may not understand anything about it, therefore it's better to obey God, the church, and the authority figures he has set in place to guide us on our way to salvation.
  • Khristos Anesti!

How long do you have until you plan on responding? It is a large topic with several articles having been written over the years. If this is simply a discussion in passing, that is one thing. If it is a topic that will be discussed for the remainder of the semester, for example, or a question that you personally would like to research for your own knowledge, then you have a few options.

As a quick follow up, Priscilla is a woman; Aquila, a man.

Pray for my weaknesses,
    Childoforthodoxy
  • I will discuss the topic 'mano y mano' with him on tuesday. He is a well-renowned historian so I don't want to go in their unarmed. He will make me look foolish.

Well if women were on equal footing with men in regards to the service than there is no evidence in the early church that they were given lesser roles. That means that the arguments that women cannot be priests are fabricated and come back to males wanting to dominate.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11375.msg137240#msg137240 date=1304474843]
    I am sorry.....but i don't see how this changes anything about the Church's standing concerning "Ordination of women in priesthood"
    A leadership position (or a teaching, a service a ministry or even apostleship/discipleship of some kind) is not forbidden in the Church....but a position on the priesthood is. There is a very important differnce here.

Much of the church's arguments rest on the fact that Christ's 12 disciples were all male.
  • There are obvious reasons for the disciples being male.  However, there were female "disciples" if you will.  Mary Magdalene and the other Mary's...service is not only vested in the priesthood, there are many ways to serve.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11375.msg137245#msg137245 date=1304476081]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11375.msg137240#msg137240 date=1304474843]
    I am sorry.....but i don't see how this changes anything about the Church's standing concerning "Ordination of women in priesthood"

Much of the church's arguments rest on the fact that Christ's 12 disciples were all male.

and the most important is that JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF, the High Priest is male.
    even if i follow that argument.....none of the quotes say anything otherwise about he 12 disciples.
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=11375.msg137241#msg137241 date=1304475230]
    LOL Unworthy1,

Junia might be a man...check on that, or not, just read the note on St. John Chrysostom.  I know for sure Aquila and Priscilla were men (yes, they sound like girls' names, but they were in fact men).  Unworthy1, all these verses show that indeed men and women are equal in the eyes of God and the church, however, I fail to see how women are given a role of leadership in the church?

[edit] And when I say role of leadership, as Mina pointed out, the priesthood or anything like that.

Actually, it is hard to find any evidence of males as priests in the New Testament, let alone women. But what is clear is that there were some who were looked up to as elders and leaders.
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=11375.msg137246#msg137246 date=1304476237]
    There are obvious reasons for the disciples being male.  However, there were female "disciples" if you will.  Mary Magdalene and the other Mary's...service is not only vested in the priesthood, there are many ways to serve.

Haha, what are these "obvious" reasons?
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11375.msg137247#msg137247 date=1304476275]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11375.msg137245#msg137245 date=1304476081]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11375.msg137240#msg137240 date=1304474843]

and the most important is that JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF, the High Priest is male.
    even if i follow that argument.....none of the quotes say anything otherwise about he 12 disciples.

That is why I said that is one of the major arguments of the Church

• [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11375.msg137248#msg137248 date=1304476456]
    [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=11375.msg137241#msg137241 date=1304475230]
    LOL Unworthy1,

Actually, it is hard to find any evidence of males as priests in the New Testament, let alone women. But what is clear is that there were some who were looked up to as elders and leaders.

True...but not in the sense that you are thinking of leadership.  I would assume that one of the many services these women could offer was through their wealth or letting the disciples use their homes for proselytizing and prayer meetings, etc.  Leadership is not only through the priesthood.
  • Here is a nice lecture i listened to about this issue:
    http://peterkreeft.com/audio/09_priestesses.htm

Peter Kreeft, Ph.D., is a professor of philosophy at Boston College and at the King's College (Empire State Building), in New York City.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11375.msg137249#msg137249 date=1304476636]
    [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=11375.msg137246#msg137246 date=1304476237]
    There are obvious reasons for the disciples being male.  However, there were female "disciples" if you will.  Mary Magdalene and the other Mary's...service is not only vested in the priesthood, there are many ways to serve.

Well, the most obvious one is that the apostles had to travel, they could have met anyone on the way...how about the problem of rape or defending themselves?
  • Thanks for the link Mina.

But the question has still not been addressed. If women were counted equal with apostles and had the gifts of of prophesy, etc., why should they not be allowed into the priesthood today? Please limit evidence to that from the NT.

Also, what is the counter-argument to the professor's claim that the passages found in 1 Corinthians 14:33-35 and 1 Timothy 2:8-15 are taken to be corrective texts that address specific time-limited pastoral problems, and are thereby NOT normative?

• None of these refer to the priesthood. Certainly there were women who were Apostles, certainly there women who were deaconesses, that is undisputed. Men and Women are equal in the Church but are appointed different roles. In fact the greatest saint in our Church is the Holy Theotokos, St. Mary, who is a woman.

Anyway here is a quote by St. John Chrysostom about the priesthood of women:

Will you, then, still contend that you were not rightly deceived, when
    you are about to superintend the things which belong to God, and are
    doing that which when Peter did the Lord said he should be able to surpass
    the rest of the apostles, for His words were, “Peter, lovest thou me more
    than these?” Yet He might have said to him, “If thou lovest me practice
    fasting, sleeping on the ground, and prolonged vigils, defend the wronged,
    be as a father to orphans, and supply the place of a husband to their
    mother.” But as a matter of fact, setting aside all these things, what does
    He say? “Tend my sheep.” For those things which I have already
    mentioned might easily be performed by many even of those who are
    under authority, women as well as men; but when one is required to
    preside over the Church, and to be entrusted with the care of so many
    souls, the whole female sex must retire before the magnitude of the task,
    and the majority of men also; and we must bring forward those who to a
    large extent surpass all others, and soar as much above them in excellence
    of spirit as Saul overtopped the whole Hebrew nation in bodily stature
    : or
    rather far more. For in this case let me not take the height of shoulders as
    the standard of inquiry; but let the distinction between the pastor and his
    charge be as great as that between rational man and irrational creatures, not
    to say even greater, inasmuch as the risk is concerned with things of far
    greater importance. He indeed who has lost sheep, either through the
    ravages of wolves, or the attacks of robbers, or through murrain, or any
    other disaster befalling them, might perhaps obtain some indulgence from
    the owner of the flock; and even if the latter should demand satisfaction
    the penalty would be only a matter of money: but he who has human
    beings entrusted to him, the rational flock of Christ, incurs a penalty in the
    first place for the loss of the sheep, which goes beyond material things and
    touches his own life: and in the second place he has to carry on a far
    greater and more difficult contest. For he has not to contend with wolves,
    nor to dread robbers, nor to consider how he may avert pestilence from the
    flock. With whom then has he to fight? with whom has he to wrestle?
    Listen to the words of St. Paul. “We wrestle not against flesh and blood,
    but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness
    of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Do you see the
    terrible multitude of enemies, and their fierce squadrons, not steel clad, but
    endued with a nature which is of itself an equivalent for a complete suit of
    armor. Would you see yet another host, stern and cruel, beleaguering this
    flock? This also you shall behold from the same post of observation. For
    he who has discoursed to us concerning the others, points out these
    enemies also to us, speaking in a certain place on this wise: “The works of
    the flesh are manifest, which are these, fornication, adultery, uncleanness,
    lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulation, wrath,
    strife, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults,” and many more
    besides; for he did not make a complete list, but left us to understand the
    rest from these. Moreover, in the case of the shepherd of irrational
    creatures, those who wish to destroy the flock, when they see the guardian
    take to flight, cease making war upon him, and are contented with the
    seizure of the cattle: but in this case, even should they capture the whole
    flock, they do not leave the shepherd unmolested, but attack him all the
    more, and wax bolder, ceasing not until they have either overthrown him,
    or have themselves been vanquished. Again, the afflictions of sheep are
    manifest, whether it be famine, or pestilence, or wounds, or whatsoever
    else it may be which distresses them, and this might help not a little
    towards the relief of those who are oppressed in these ways. And there is
    yet another fact greater than this which facilitates release from this kind of
    infirmity. And what is that? The shepherds with great authority compel
    the sheep to receive the remedy when they do not willingly submit to it.
    For it is easy to bind them when cautery or cutting is required, and to keep
    them inside the fold for a long time, whenever it is expedient, and to bring
    them one kind of food instead of another, and to cut them off from their
    supplies of water, and all other things which the shepherds may decide to
    be conducive to their health they perform with great ease.

I bolded the most relevant parts. It does appear that St. John Chrysostom places men above women here. Perhaps it is merely because the characteristics needed to "preside over the church" are found more often in men? This doesn't mean women have a lesser role, our role is just as important as the bishop's role (at least I think so? Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

• [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=11375.msg137253#msg137253 date=1304476908]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11375.msg137249#msg137249 date=1304476636]

Well, the most obvious one is that the apostles had to travel, they could have met anyone on the way...how about the problem of rape or defending themselves?

Valid point. But I doubt Christ chose men as disciples because He was worried about women's safety. But then again, I could be wrong.

However, I am going to be debating a historian. I need to bring in facts not mere speculation that seems plausible. Is there concrete evidence that women did not travel to minister? Is there evidence that it was only men?
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11375.msg137254#msg137254 date=1304477229]
    Thanks for the link Mina.

But the question has still not been addressed. If women were counted equal with apostles and had the gifts of of prophesy, etc., why should they not be allowed into the priesthood today? Please limit evidence to that from the NT.

Also, what is the counter-argument to the professor's claim that the passages found in 1 Corinthians 14:33-35 and 1 Timothy 2:8-15 are taken to be corrective texts that address specific time-limited pastoral problems, and are thereby NOT normative?

i think you are misunderstanding the equality between a man and a women. they are equal in being both human beings but each have their own duties; own ways of serving God and glorifying His name on earth.
    think about a rich man and a poor one. both are equal in being a human being. in matters of judging considering the aspect of existence (humanity), they are equal, but in the aspect of richness of worldly gains, the rich man is higher in status.
  • Just want to throw in there, most of the social service organizations in our diocese are run by majority females.

Women and their role in the church is no less than that of men. The role is just different. Just like the whole body of Christ metaphor. If women could have roles as deacons and priests, who would be the ones to take care of everything else, like educating the children, social service, etc?
  • [quote author=anba bola link=topic=11375.msg137255#msg137255 date=1304477252]
    None of these refer to the priesthood. Certainly there were women who were Apostles, certainly there women who were deaconesses, that is undisputed. Men and Women are equal in the Church but are appointed different roles. In fact the greatest saint in our Church is the Holy Theotokos, St. Mary, who is a woman.

Anyway here is a quote by St. John Chrysostom about the priesthood of women:

Will you, then, still contend that you were not rightly deceived, when
    you are about to superintend the things which belong to God, and are
    doing that which when Peter did the Lord said he should be able to surpass
    the rest of the apostles, for His words were, “Peter, lovest thou me more
    than these?” Yet He might have said to him, “If thou lovest me practice
    fasting, sleeping on the ground, and prolonged vigils, defend the wronged,
    be as a father to orphans, and supply the place of a husband to their
    mother.” But as a matter of fact, setting aside all these things, what does
    He say? “Tend my sheep.” For those things which I have already
    mentioned might easily be performed by many even of those who are
    under authority, women as well as men; but when one is required to
    preside over the Church, and to be entrusted with the care of so many
    souls, the whole female sex must retire before the magnitude of the task,
    and the majority of men also; and we must bring forward those who to a
    large extent surpass all others, and soar as much above them in excellence
    of spirit as Saul overtopped the whole Hebrew nation in bodily stature
    : or
    rather far more. For in this case let me not take the height of shoulders as
    the standard of inquiry; but let the distinction between the pastor and his
    charge be as great as that between rational man and irrational creatures, not
    to say even greater, inasmuch as the risk is concerned with things of far
    greater importance. He indeed who has lost sheep, either through the
    ravages of wolves, or the attacks of robbers, or through murrain, or any
    other disaster befalling them, might perhaps obtain some indulgence from
    the owner of the flock; and even if the latter should demand satisfaction
    the penalty would be only a matter of money: but he who has human
    beings entrusted to him, the rational flock of Christ, incurs a penalty in the
    first place for the loss of the sheep, which goes beyond material things and
    touches his own life: and in the second place he has to carry on a far
    greater and more difficult contest. For he has not to contend with wolves,
    nor to dread robbers, nor to consider how he may avert pestilence from the
    flock. With whom then has he to fight? with whom has he to wrestle?
    Listen to the words of St. Paul. “We wrestle not against flesh and blood,
    but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness
    of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Do you see the
    terrible multitude of enemies, and their fierce squadrons, not steel clad, but
    endued with a nature which is of itself an equivalent for a complete suit of
    armor. Would you see yet another host, stern and cruel, beleaguering this
    flock? This also you shall behold from the same post of observation. For
    he who has discoursed to us concerning the others, points out these
    enemies also to us, speaking in a certain place on this wise: “The works of
    the flesh are manifest, which are these, fornication, adultery, uncleanness,
    lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulation, wrath,
    strife, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults,” and many more
    besides; for he did not make a complete list, but left us to understand the
    rest from these. Moreover, in the case of the shepherd of irrational
    creatures, those who wish to destroy the flock, when they see the guardian
    take to flight, cease making war upon him, and are contented with the
    seizure of the cattle: but in this case, even should they capture the whole
    flock, they do not leave the shepherd unmolested, but attack him all the
    more, and wax bolder, ceasing not until they have either overthrown him,
    or have themselves been vanquished. Again, the afflictions of sheep are
    manifest, whether it be famine, or pestilence, or wounds, or whatsoever
    else it may be which distresses them, and this might help not a little
    towards the relief of those who are oppressed in these ways. And there is
    yet another fact greater than this which facilitates release from this kind of
    infirmity. And what is that? The shepherds with great authority compel
    the sheep to receive the remedy when they do not willingly submit to it.
    For it is easy to bind them when cautery or cutting is required, and to keep
    them inside the fold for a long time, whenever it is expedient, and to bring
    them one kind of food instead of another, and to cut them off from their
    supplies of water, and all other things which the shepherds may decide to
    be conducive to their health they perform with great ease.

I bolded the most relevant parts. It does appear that St. John Chrysostom places men above women here. Perhaps it is merely because the characteristics needed to "preside over the church" are found more often in men? This doesn't mean women have a lesser role, our role is just as important as the bishop's role (at least I think so? Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

That quote by St. John, will be meaningless when discussing with a historian. It will just provide evidence to his theory about how drastically the church changed after Constantine and that women were put under men, which wasn't how it was in the early church.

• [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11375.msg137257#msg137257 date=1304477529]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11375.msg137254#msg137254 date=1304477229]
    Thanks for the link Mina.

i think you are misunderstanding the equality between a man and a women. they are equal in being both human beings but each have their own duties; own ways of serving God and glorifying His name on earth.
    think about a rich man and a poor one. both are equal in being a human being. in matters of judging considering the aspect of existence (humanity), they are equal, but in the aspect of richness of worldly gains, the rich man is higher in status.

Now provide me historical evidence that the duties of women were different than that of men. I have showed you that they were equal in duties and you agreed. Now you say they are different. You are using the mindset of TODAY. Put yourself in the 1st century.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11375.msg137256#msg137256 date=1304477469]
    [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=11375.msg137253#msg137253 date=1304476908]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11375.msg137249#msg137249 date=1304476636]

Valid point. But I doubt Christ chose men as disciples because He was worried about women's safety. But then again, I could be wrong.

However, I am going to be debating a historian. I need to bring in facts not mere speculation that seems plausible. Is there concrete evidence that women did not travel to minister? Is there evidence that it was only men?

Well...considering that the 12 disciples were men and the 70/72 apostles were also men, I doubt you will be able to find convincing evidence for either argument, whether they did travel or not.  In any case, it's not important...the point is that women don't have to be priests in order to serve and while priesthood is strictly reserved for males, females also have a role in the church, which I have only begun to understand and plan to look at it in depth more, but it's there...women DO have a role in church.
  • Just a note for all future posts. I am not attacking anyone personally and I might even agree with your argument. I am merely playing 'devil's advocate' so as to weed out the good arguments from the bad ones and reach a solid conclusion on the issue to present to my professor.  :)

• As it seems that you would not have sufficient time to receive the book I had in mind, read it sufficiently in detail to be able to present to the "historian," and so forth, I refer you to this post...

http://www.monachos.net/forum/showthread.php?6780-Woman-and-the-holy-Liturgy&p=89047&viewfull=1#post89047
  • Thanks for the link. Out of curiosity, what book did you have in mind?
  • "Women and the Priesthood" by Fr. Thomas Hopko, amongst others.
  • Dear childoforthodoxy,

I have skimmed over the thread you referred me to (that is the first 2 pages at least). The pattern that keeps returning is quotations starting from about the 3rd century (which aren't helpful for me).

Secondly, most of the quotations refer to 1 COR 14:33-35 and 1 Timothy 2:8-15. Yet they have not adequately proven that those are normative instructions by Paul. The argument that they are time and case specific, which is simply that women are hailed as apostles and praised for prophesying elsewhere (as in the original quotes I posted), has not yet been debunked.

• My dearest brother,

I suppose that you are attempting to find a written account that comments on the Biblical verses within the first century on the specific role of women in the Church. I will venture to say that this will be most assuredly difficult to find, and may even then be "obscure" in the mind of the historian to whom you would present. To exclude that which is not in writing is to exclude a major part of our faith; that is, namely what the disciples and apostles imparted on the followers within the first century by word of mouth. This, by continued transference and growth in Tradition over many years, has been preserved by the Orthodox Church, and only later expounded on by those noteworthy individuals in the decades and centuries to follow, maintaining the mindset that continued undisturbed from the foundation of the Church itself.

To tackle such topics as these without the exegetical commentary by the Fathers is to take a piece of history and separate it from its appropriate surroundings. This, then, is not historical at all; or, it is merely a snapshot of a film which tells a fuller story. If you are confined to the first century writings, then a multitude of teachings which were later expanded on by the Church in more detail in the centuries to come are merely presented in a shadowed sense, whose shadow may be subject to interpretation if presented out of context. It is similar to relying only the teachings of Christ which were explicitly recorded to have come out of his mouth; there exists far too many courses, classes and books on how "Christianity was changed by the Pauline mindset." Though this may provide for a critical, secular interpretation of what it is that occurred and developed, it certainly is not the case.

Those things which were put into place continued as they were unless they were explicitly modified for the benefit of the members of Christ (e.g. the marital status of a bishop). To rely only the a few verses from the Bible to support a larger argument while discounting the continued Tradition of the Church is not religious scholarship; it is an intentional trap set to put one into the mindset of the person explaining the verses in their own personal way, imposing a contemporary mindset on a verse that was written millennia ago.
  • What you say is true.

However, what evidence is there to say that these passages from Paul are normative? His argument is that they were to correct specific problems but were by no means to be applied to all churches. The sayings of the fathers are not authoritative for a historian.

• As the body has but one head, and our Head is Christ Jesus, so, too, would I rationally expect that the Church would have but one, consistent, clear mind about how people are to function within the Church. If this were not the case, then we would see that a particular problem presented itself in one city and was dealt with in one manner, and that it was dealt in another city in an entirely different, opposite manner. This, of course, is not the case, as the Holy Spirit is One, and His guidance is not multiple-minded. The advice, then, given to a local Church in this case could easily be applied to any other Church; indeed, if this were not the case, then we would say that nearly the whole bulk of the Bible is not at all applicable to us, as it was intended for people living in a different culture and time than us. This, of course, is not how any of us approach the Bible.

The direction of the Holy Spirit is, by definition, normative, as it is singular. If this is not acknowledged as being true, then there exists a denial of the work of the Holy Spirit in the Body of the Church, which lessens the Holy Spirit to a Being less than God. If it is suggested that His guidance is multiple in nature, then He, too, must be multiple in nature, which means that there are multiple "Holy Spirits," and therefore, multiple "Gods." Since neither of these is true in the True Faith, we are lead to believe that the words which were spoken then are still applicable today, as the Holy Spirits exists outside of the confines of time.

Therefore, we either negate the Trinity or acknowledge the Oneness of the Faith.
  • Agreed. But, certainly, not everything in the Bible is applicable to us. Such as Christ's instruction to "call no man father". . .