General Funeral Prayers UPDATE!

13»

Comments

• As I mentioned the rite of the funerals on Sundays are annual .. this is mentioned in the deacon's books as well as the other ritual books.

The original rite of the General Funeral was after 5:00 and was annexed to the ninth hour of Sunday (paschal tune). The ritual books say that the priest absolve the congregation to go to their homes and then they return for the General Funeral.

As you may know the day according to the Church's rite ends at 5:00 and the new day begins. That is why it is permissible to pray the General Funeral in the Paschal tune.

However, the practice today is to pray it right after the Hosha3na (Palm Sunday) Liturgy which is before 5:00 pm. That way, it should be considered as any funeral and should be prayed in the annual tune.

Hope this helps
  • But for example, funerals prayed between Nativity and Circumcision or funerals prayed in the Holy Fifty are prayed in joyous tune...so why not joyous?
  • This is a very good question. I am afraid the answer may cause lot of stir.

May be it is just better to keep the peace. If you like I can pm you.
  • [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=11208.msg136672#msg136672 date=1303949277]
    But for example, funerals prayed between Nativity and Circumcision or funerals prayed in the Holy Fifty are prayed in joyous tune...so why not joyous?

those because they are ENTIRE festive days. in the holy fifties, the festive period begins by the feast and ends on the 1st sagda (where the 2nd and 3rd are prayed in annual tune).