Coptic Church Funds

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi I have an inquiry and I hope I am not being ignorant , if so I'm sorry. Anyways I notice churches spend a lot of money these days on improving church technology and trips. My issue with that is I feel that money would be better spent on the poor specially Egyptians. I've gone to small poor churches in Egypt where the building is disintegrating, the priest and deacons are all wearing ripped and stained tonias. The congregation is poor and donations I'm sure don't come often. Many Copts live in awful conditions in Egypt and need help. Instead I see churches installing new projectors, sound systems, microphones, computers and so on. Even in the churches in Egypt in the high society neighborhoods I see this. Although I know some donations are already made, why not give more. For instance, my church just put in a new sound system, the old one wasn't absolutely perfect but it's not worth a few thousand dollars that could have helped poorer churches in Egypt. My fear is that we our substituting essential needs of the poor for our own luxuries that we could very easily do without.

Comments

• Good point.
  • You should say this to the priest running things at your church. Say it nicely though, and ask him what he thinks of your idea.
  • in general, i want to say that necessities for different people in different societies do differ greatly.

"Although I know some donations are already made, why not give more."
    Well that's always the question and none can answer this with a good answer. people can get prideful in what they d; that includes donating or buying something for the church or servicing and showing others what you do.

"For instance, my church just put in a new sound system, the old one wasn't absolutely perfect but it's not worth a few thousand dollars that could have helped poorer churches in Egypt."
    But someone probably donated specifically for a new audio system or the system was really needed. in the first case, we can't do much about....if people want to donate for something specific, for as much as i hate that, we can't stop them. it's better than them not doing anything at all. in the second case, the church needed that system. and that just shows the first thing i said in this post.

"My fear is that we our substituting essential needs of the poor for our own luxuries that we could very easily do without."
    you might think so, but not everyone else in church.

I am not discouraging you...i am just presenting the reality. you can definitely speak to your church priests to find ways to "giving more money" and i am sure they'll support you in every way they can.
  • One of the priest in my church addressed a similar issue a few months ago. He said "look at our church with projectors and microphones and lights and computers and many icons etc. Look at our brothers and sisters in Egypt and how they barely make a weekly meal in some parts of Egypt. Why can't we let our church flourish and also give to Egypt?" Then he went on how if everyone gave their tithe, we would not be in this situation. Just think about it, if every Coptic Orthodox gave their tithe in the US, can't we provide for the needs of the church and our brothers and sisters in Egypt? I think this issue can be taken care of if everyone gives their tithe, from child allowances to the biweekly paycheck, including myself... Just my thought.
  • copticuser20,

I bet it was Fr. Michael Tobia who gave that commentary.

I agree.  Where are the tithes?  I think I have already made my views on that abundantly loud.
    Don't blame the priests.  They are trying to keep things going, and find some formula that works.
  • I'm not at all blaming priests. It just bothers me that someone would donate money to the Church for a sound system while that money could feed a few families in Upper Egypt. Just a few weeks ago at a Coptic Church in a city close to me I saw they installed a projector system. It's great and allows people to follow the services but I know that same Church just published and printed dozens of books for every service and season and there was never a shortage of books in the Church. So again the books weren't perfect but there was no need to spend all that money making them and then spend more on a projector system. The books are basically unused now and it bothers me that Coptic families will go hungry tonight so we can have our projectors, new books, mics etc. Jesus himself was a simple man and dedicated his life to helping the poor and needy. 
  • I have no comment beyond what I have babbled in other threads on tithing.  I try to specifically set aside donations for the poor in Egypt.

Sometimes, as it relates to my American Friends, I ask that they write out checks for the poor in Egypt rather than bestowing a birthday or Christmas gift upon me.
  • It is even a way to get others to think and remember the poor.

Unfortunately, Our Lord reminds us that we will never run out of poor people.  'The poor you shall have with you always.'
  • [quote author=pharoh123 link=topic=11197.msg135206#msg135206 date=1301953326]
    I'm not at all blaming priests. It just bothers me that someone would donate money to the Church for a sound system while that money could feed a few families in Upper Egypt. Just a few weeks ago at a Coptic Church in a city close to me I saw they installed a projector system. It's great and allows people to follow the services but I know that same Church just published and printed dozens of books for every service and season and there was never a shortage of books in the Church. So again the books weren't perfect but there was no need to spend all that money making them and then spend more on a projector system. The books are basically unused now and it bothers me that Coptic families will go hungry tonight so we can have our projectors, new books, mics etc. Jesus himself was a simple man and dedicated his life to helping the poor and needy. 

But at times, they are necessities. If you go to a church with a poor sound system and it always crackles and the obnoxious sound that makes everyone goes deaf comes on often, would you want to pray in that church if it is distracting? Also, the projectors have become a necessity. With the cost of printing and shipping, especially in large churches like mine, having a projector is easier and cheaper (eventually) than continuing to buy and resupply books for the whole congregation. As I said before, if everyone gives their tithe, and if those who can give more than their tithe give more, we can provide for our church and for our brothers and sisters in Egypt.