Lent Weekday Liturgy

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Does anyone have any communions songs in english to sing after psalm 150 during the lent weekday liturgy?

Comments

• Blessed are those who have mercy... (for that week)
    Our father
  • [quote author=Kiro7 link=topic=11137.msg134519#msg134519 date=1301448341]
    Does anyone have any communions songs in english to sing after psalm 150 during the lent weekday liturgy?

actually, i don't like that. toba lel-rohma 3ala el-masakeen is in a weekend tune. it must not be said on weekdays. you have to say pi-mairoumi or the doxologies (or it's english or arabic) IN THAT SAME TUNE and not toba lel-rohma.
  • Yea, my priest doesnt like that either.... But we always say Our Father in arabic in the lent tune or something along those lines, does anyone have the translation in english?
  • [quote author=Kiro7 link=topic=11137.msg134548#msg134548 date=1301449796]
    Yea, my priest doesnt like that either.... But we always say Our Father in arabic in the lent tune or something along those lines, does anyone have the translation in english?

if the priest doesn't like...and it's not right to do....than why do it?!
  • I think the hope of the Reverend Father is to find a hymn that the entire church would be able to participate in rather than wandering with thoughts or even side discussions during the offering of the Holy Eucharist to the communicants.
  • My priests really like it, so they insist on us saying it.
    That is basically, they only thing we sing.
    Imagine communion with Psalm 150 in arabic, and english (maybe coptic too). Then Toba lel rohama in arabic then in english, then our father in arabic and in english too.
    We don't know anything else. We is the deacons at my church including me.
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=11137.msg134662#msg134662 date=1301482693]
    We don't know anything else. We is the deacons at my church including me.

than learn.....what stops you from searching.
  • You can chant Bi mayromi in the days tune like the doxologies.
  • Does anyone have the communion hymn "Our Father" for lent weekdays in english?
  • It is in the Made7 (Distribution Melodies) book published by the SUS diocese. You can get it at

http://suscopts.org/diocese/bookstore/

Thanks.
  • Does anyone have an online version for free of it :)
  • [quote author=Kiro7 link=topic=11137.msg134713#msg134713 date=1301513171]
    Does anyone have an online version for free of it :)

the book was just done....you'll never find it online.....I KNOW that for a fact. but lucky you, i have the book and i update/post the hymns here: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/cat/186
  • Kiro,

The book is advertised on the website for a reason. It has copyrights and we as Christians must respect that.

It would be ironic to use a stolen copy to do God's work.
  • Minatasgeel,

Is it the first one?
  • [quote author=Kiro7 link=topic=11137.msg134719#msg134719 date=1301517635]
    Minatasgeel,

Is it the first one?

define the first one?

there are a madeha for every week of lent that have an arabic origin. there are also ones that are originally written in english. and i think one or 2 for the whole fast. they are all on the page.
  • the book was just done....you'll never find it online.....I KNOW that for a fact. but lucky you, i have the book and i update/post the hymns here

I am wondering if you got permission to publish online?

ihab
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11137.msg134833#msg134833 date=1301580634]

the book was just done....you'll never find it online.....I KNOW that for a fact. but lucky you, i have the book and i update/post the hymns here

I am wondering if you got permission to publish online?

ihab

i am not publishing anything....i am not printing a book. i am taking the text that is already printed on paper and placing it online for everyone to use. the BOOK, as a hard copy and a format is copyrighted.....but the text in the books belong to the Coptic Orthodox Church.....am i not a Coptic Orthodox member of the Church?!
  • the BOOK, as a hard copy and a format is copyrighted

I do no think you understand what a copyright is. You can read all about it at http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

but the text in the books belong to the Coptic Orthodox Church

I am not arguing that point.  But to get the text, you need to purchase the book.

Why would you treat the Church material any different? You need to get permission from the publisher(s) to make the work available for free. If it is their wish not to have it available for free then so be it and we must obey.

There is production, printing, shipping costs that the Church paid to get the text to you and you do not want to share in that cost. This is not a donation.

Thanks.
  • "I do no think you understand what a copyright is. You can read all about it at http://www.copyright.gov/title17/";
    personally speaking....i believe it is unchristian within the Church. read my signature below.

I am not arguing that point.  But to get the text, you need to purchase the book.
    i do.

Why would you treat the Church material any different? You need to get permission from the publisher(s) to make the work available for free. If it is their wish not to have it available for free then so be it and we must obey.

There is production, printing, shipping costs that the Church paid to get the text to you and you do not want to share in that cost. This is not a donation.

Well...i do work closely the people who published the book.

yes it's not a donation but it is something that is done for the Church BY THE CHURCH. this is not a personal work. the book is a liturgical one that is done for the Church. who am i to limit someone from seeing what's in the book if he simply can't afford it.

As i said above.....by beliefs are a little different. You'd not be the only one who tells me this. I believe in heavenly gain. Respect to everyone but not on the account of pride and ego which we all have when we do some good in Church. we hold it up high, we cherish it more than the purpose it was done for: The service of the Lord. 
  • Let me start with your last quote since it is your belief system

.....[m]y beliefs are a little different.   

I am sorry but your belief means nothing when it comes to respecting the authorities whether they are civil or clerical.

You'd not be the only one who tells me this.

It seems you are stubborn if you were told the same thing and you sill insist on your opinion. Again your opinion is irrelevant. The Bible commands through St. Paul and St Peter to respect the authorities and obey them.

I believe in heavenly gain.

What does that have to do with respecting the publisher's wishes. Are you make the decisions for him ?Are you assuming he is not for heavenly gain by controlling the work and asking for reimbursement?

If you wish to be part of the heavenly gain then ask for permission to use the work for that purpose.

Respect to everyone but not on the account of pride and ego which we all have when we do some good in Church.we hold it up high, we cherish it more than the purpose it was done for: The service of the Lord.

This has nothing to do with ego and pride. Work is done and published freely is different than work that is done under copyrights. If the publisher has the work copyrighted, he means that he needs to keep control of the work. I understand that copyrights are not respected in Egypt and this is a shame.

The book was published under the auspice of Bishop Youssef and he is the one that approved its production. For you to spread the work without permission ia actually robbing the diocese of the reimbursement to cover the costs of production and limiting its ability of future productions.

Again, if it were Bishop Youssef's wish to have the work distributed freely, he would have the work on the diocese's website. I am just asking you to get permission.

Well...i do work closely the people who published the book.

Great!!! Did you get permission to freely distribute the work?

yes it's not a donation but it is something that is done for the Church BY THE CHURCH.

Did you ask the church to distribute the work freely?
    Imagine this, you go to a church bookstore and walk away with a kolajy or psalmodeya without paying and say to the attendant: "I am sorry i cannot pay for it .. This is church work and I am just going to take it." Just because it is the work of Church does not mean it is free.

who am i to limit someone from seeing what's in the book if he simply can't afford it.

Who are you? Who gave you the authority to fight on behalf the poor? Is not the Church's responsibility to take care for the poor? Did you take permission to distribute the work for the poor? Can you limit your website visitors just for the poor?

After all, the book is a church book, meaning used in the church. Is there a church that cannot spare few dollars to get the book legally? Are you also acting on behalf of all the churches out there to distribute the material freely?

I may have been harsh in this message, but I believe there is an element of honesty and submission that are missing in the way you are thinking.

Thanks and God Bless.
  • wait , we usualy say the pslam 150 in coptic , english and then arabic by the time we are finished abouna would be done. is that wrong or what ??
  • No it is not wrong. You may just say psalm 150 in just one language and then follow by something else. This depends on the agreement among the deacons and Abouna and the Bishop if applicable
  • Well in my case, i would say pslam 150 in coptic then english... Then theres still time so we would say "Our Father" in lent tune