Who (or what) comes first? So confused

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I listened to one of Father Peter's Podcast on Luke 14: 25-35, and I was confused on a few things.

My parents told me that Mom and Dad are first before anything because one day I was listening to Coptic Hymns on youtube, specifically Epouro, and my dad asked me a question and I didn't notice it was for me because it was a question that he would rather ask my mom, but anyway he shut the computer suddenly and said that parents are first and anything else comes second if I were to abuse this, then I would not go to church for hymns again.

But in the sermon Fr. Peter said that God comes first before anything, if so, how come I got in trouble for praising Him?

Sometimes, my parents tell me that studies come first and anything else is second.

So I am confused, when spending time who should be first or second or third?

Please pray for me.

Comments

• Parents are funny sometimes.

It's not about first or second, especially since their idea of first changes.  Maybe you should ask them what they're concerned about?  Maybe they feel you're just not listening or respecting them.  God is always first, like Fr Peter said.  Listening to hymns isn't necessarily "God" though, though it is a spiritual activity, I guess.  If it's between washing the dishes and listening to ep-ouro on the internet, you should probably wash the dishes, because that's an act of love and respect for your family, and that of course is what pleases God.

What was it that your dad wanted to begin with?
  • [quote author=MarchMadness link=topic=11100.msg134189#msg134189 date=1301156085]
    Parents are funny sometimes.

What was it that your dad wanted to begin with?

He asked: What should I wear?

Lol! He asks my mom this! I mean really, what do I have to do with it?!

But I guess I should be more attentive.....and definitely more obedient.
  • There is no need to be confused.

GOD ALWAYS COME FIRST

But as a child you are not always best placed to know how you should serve God, and so you are to be obedient to your parents, and to your spiritual father.

As you grow older, God must come first, but you will still rely on the advice of your parents, and will be obedient to your spiritual father.

On Wednesday I am going to spend some time with my own spiritual father, and I will confess, and will discuss my own life with him so that I can receive guidance about how I, even though a priest, can also learn to put God first.

Our Lord was a child and a youth, and we learn of Him,

Luke 2:51  And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.

Our Lord 'was subject to them', that is St Joseph and the Virgin Mary. Even though He was the Wisdom of God. Even though He had complete knowledge of the Will of God. Yet he was obedient to His parents.

So obedience to those in authority over us is not a distraction from serving God, but is a means of serving God and discovering His will.

There was a monk in the desert who had the employment of copying manuscripts. When his spiritual father called him he got up immediately and left the very letter he was working on unfinished. He was doing the will of God both while copying the manuscript and in immediately being obedient to his father.

So it is a mistake for a child to ask whether God, parents or school come first. It is better to be obedient AND to have a proper relationship with a spiritual father so that he can ensure that we are not becoming unbalanced. As we get older we have to take a greater responsibility, but should still be obedient to our spiritual fathers.

In all cases however, GOD COMES FIRST, but the way we put God first will be different and may well involve service and obedience to others, especially our parents, but also to our spiritual fathers, this ensures that if, God forbid, our parents are not entirely able to lead us to the service of God we will still have some one to turn to who will help us be obedient and respectful while also seeking to serve God.

God bless you

Father Peter