Amazing voice

2»

Comments

• [quote author=lvnvrfails13 link=topic=10814.msg133832#msg133832 date=1300918276]
    [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=10814.msg133831#msg133831 date=1300917957]

would you have your dad as your father of confession, lvnvrfails13?

well...who better to ask for advice and guidance than someone who knows and understands you best?
    just my opinion ;)

God bless

Sorry to go off topic, but I thought that you weren't supposed to have your own father as your FoC?! Or any family member, for that matter. Asking for advice makes sense, but confessing??! Just curious.

Pray for me.
  • [quote author=Mansour89 link=topic=10814.msg133862#msg133862 date=1300928707]
    Sorry to go off topic, but I thought that you weren't supposed to have your own father as your FoC?! Or any family member, for that matter. Asking for advice makes sense, but confessing??! Just curious.

Pray for me.

why? just wondering?? i mean, they see you everyday, they know everything about you, they know your strengths and weaknesses, you've lived with them all your life so they've seen every stage you've been through, and they know what's best for you...its your DAD man!! :P
    why not??
  • Well, that's exactly it... he's your dad! Doesn't that mean he would have some biases towards you with some of the stuff you tell him? Aren't there things that you would feel uncomfortable telling him? I don't know, that's just what I thought.

Pray for me.
  • Mansour89,

I am not my priest's biological daughter, but he treats me the same as lvnvrfails. He's strict on the both of us, trust me :P

Priests are obliged to treat everyone the same. There are no favorites in confession. We are all working towards our salvation.
  • T✞TL,

I don't disagree with you on that one. But priests are human, too. So they will still have their weaknesses. But I was just curious because that's what I had heard in the past. But I suppose it's better to confess to your own dad than not to confess at all.

Pray for me.
  • [quote author=Mansour89 link=topic=10814.msg133865#msg133865 date=1300930275]
    Well, that's exactly it... he's your dad! Doesn't that mean he would have some biases towards you with some of the stuff you tell him? Aren't there things that you would feel uncomfortable telling him? I don't know, that's just what I thought.

Pray for me.

I completely understand your view, and honestly, I kinda hoped I'd get the easy side because I EXPECTED him to be biased ;) boy was I wrong :P TITL is completely right and it's also because I'm his daughter that makes him so strict...a sin is a sin; doesn't matter if the person who committed it is your best friend or your enemy, they still need strict guidance to get them back on track and bias should have no place in the situation.

God bless,
    lvnvrfails13
  • I don't get the problem.

Someone wants to confess they go to confession.

In confession there are three people present:  priest, penitent (confessor), and more importantly--the Holy Spirit.  They work together to find a cure to an illness that is presented.  I would not undermine or underplay the Power of the Holy Spirit in such a process as being minimal or with the potential for bias.

Because of the immigrant situation (the diaspora) and the limitations of age and distance travel, one may be in a situation to confess to their own father.  What's the problem?  We all do that in one way or another to our own parents; given a good relationship.

My spiritual father, actually, is tougher on me because of our close relationship.  A spiritual father has to always way out his advice and exercises to the penitent relative to their measure to accept either.  No different than an athletic coach, he is obliged to push the person to higher limits for their own path to the Heavenly Father.

I laud lvnvrfails13 for having the courage to do so.  Another person may neglect their spiritual life relative to using the proximity in relationship as an excuse to avoid confession.

Joke:  I hope he doesn't cut off your allowance, ground you, or take away the car if your incursions are too bad.
  • I definitely agree with Mansour89, great minds think alike! Have we met?  ;)
    Except I'd rather not confess at all than to confess to my dad!

I believe it is not right at all to confess to your own dad who is a priest.. I remember asking some of Abounas' kids' about this and I remember getting answers saying how that's against the church (as they've been told by higher authorities), and they'd never do it if they had the choice to anyways because of the reasons Mansour89 mentions. I'm sorry, I don't think it's healthy for one's spiritual life... the relationship between the member of your family and yourself is most certainly different than that of yourself and confession father - Definitely different. I know many people who would agree with me when we say we can confess so much crap that we'd never tell a soul except for our confession father and would NEVER tell our parents, especially.

In fact, I know it's so wrong that I am going to ask about it again, and do some research.

I don't agree with you ILSM.
  • Mikhail,

You will not find any church teachings to support your view.

Avoiding confession rather than confessing to your father is a dangerous idea; one's eternal life is a stake. When weighing out all considerations, I would say there it is nothing in the world more important (than ur eternal life).

It takes a lot of courage from a PK, but if one has no other alternative (as most of us dont in the diaspora), then it must be done rather than avoided.
  • Your FOC is your dad.

The same shame or distraught aspect would be applicable.  You see them.  You encounter them.

Given a person who does not have facility to get to a priest (other than their own biological father--being a priest), what other solution is there?

We don't have a confessional booth.

We don't have tele-conference confessions.

What solution would be proposed?
  • (raising right hand up) Preach it brutha.
  • Mikhail,

I'm not sure I completely understand how confessing to your father is "unhealthy." As ilsm mentioned, the closer relationship you have with your father of confession actually makes them more strict on you. And if the issue is embarrassment or shame of having to tell your father something you would much rather prefer not to, ilsm also mentioned this point, shouldn't we have felt that shame while committing the sin? Therefore, confession, whether to your (biological) father or any other priest is in both cases the same path to repentence.
    And finally as TITL said so well, choosing to not confess at all when the only option is your father is most definitely not a good idea. On the contrary, I think confessing to your parent makes you even more repentant to not commit that sin again in order to not have to tell it to them again! :D

God bless! :)
  • lvnvrfails123,

You did not comment about:  allowance, grounding, car privileges.

...Just jokingly--of course.
  • She disciplines herself. Her parents have an easy job. I think I'm the one that suffers more after confession.

Being a PK is too easy.

...Not joking--of course.
  • The unhealthy thing is:  not confessing.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10814.msg134017#msg134017 date=1301016256]
    lvnvrfails123,

You did not comment about:  allowance, grounding, car privileges.

...Just jokingly--of course.

Hahaha :D well, let me put it this way; i don't get an allowance (although I used to be so bad about making my bed that my dad offered me $5 for every morning I did it, and if I didn't, then he would take $5 back....that stopped the first time I didn't make my bed..i didn't feel like doing it anymore for some reason :P )
    I don't grounded...aaaannnd, I don't have a car :P
    soooo..thats my side of that :D
    [quote author=T✞TL link=topic=10814.msg134018#msg134018 date=1301016621]
    She disciplines herself. Her parents have an easy job. I think I'm the one that suffers more after confession.

Being a PK is too easy.

...Not joking--of course.

Nuh uhhh!!!! Don't listen to her....come on, who u gonna trust? the actual PK?? or the one who doesn't know what 10% of 10% is?? i think i've made a point :D
  • Ok.

First of all, you're embarrassing me in front of all my friends.

Second, you didn't know what ILSM meant either.

Third, I'm going to send ebnyasou3 a recording of your dad, so I end up being the hero of the day.

• Well.

First of all, you did that well enough on your own with the 10% thing :P

Second, I still got it before youuu!! so HA!!  ;D

Third, you gotta wait till I get approval, so i guess your gonna have to put ur heroics on hold for a little while :D
  • Actually yeh btw, me too also heard from friend whose dad is a priest that he is not allowed to have confession with him... soo yeh thats all i wanted to say... soo yeh cya