Am I responsible?

Comments

• zoxasis, i think you don't find my 'agenda' boring. i think you quite like it!! otherwise you would not reply with so much pathos.

the misunderstanding about 'the question' .. you are either being facetious or a complete nutter who cannot understand good english.

i like your sense of humour that betrays your unloving heart and most of all ... the orthodox spirituality.

now, since you are so kind to kick me out of any orthodox church, would you go a step further and advice me to separate (divorce) from my wife (she is orthodox!!!) just to keep the church clean?.. what's your wisdom on this?..
    (now, you cannot fail to notice that this is a question to you..., it's got a question mark...or 2!!!)

• cefas and anba bola,
    thanks for your comments.

there are a few people here who need to chill out.
    Jesus Christ died for sinners. He loves sinners, so we need to teach about the Body and Blood of our Lord in a loving manner. we are all sinners, and unworthy.
    imagine you are in heaven, giving account for why you offended your protestant, or orthodox brother so much that they spend time away from the church and sinned more. what would you say?

i am not suggesting we give communion to those who don't believe it is the Body and Blood of our Lord, simply that we discuss these things in a way that brings peace.
    also calling someone a 'nutter' will not bring you or him any closer to God.

as for the original poster, i would suggest you speak first to the priest (without saying any names) and ask generally advice about what to do if people tell you they disrespect the Holy Communion.
  • mabsoota, who are you to tell off these orthodox nutters? do you think they will listen to you? soon they will tell you that they did not find the question  mark. so ...you may be next in line, kicked out of THE CHURCH, and the orthodox heaven.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Don't you think you're being a little over the top now? Some people here may not have shown you proper Christian charity, but does that give you the right to milk the whole martyr complex?
  • Epchois_nai_nan,

Try this: http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/father/fathers.htm

Most of the ones at this link are Orthodox Fathers. Just watch out for Theodore of Mopsuestia and Aphraates the Persian Sage (I have no idea who he is)

Lightening,

if you haven't already read the post I wrote at reply #17
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=10973.msg132955#msg132955 date=1300136623]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

Don't you think you're being a little over the top now? Some people here may not have shown you proper Christian charity, but does that give you the right to milk the whole martyr complex?

i don't have much to say about the post but i am just happy that Cephas is back.  :)
  • [quote author=lightening link=topic=10973.msg132946#msg132946 date=1300132483]
    zoxasis, i think you don't find my 'agenda' boring. i think you quite like it!! otherwise you would not reply with so much pathos.

the misunderstanding about 'the question' .. you are either being facetious or a complete nutter who cannot understand good english.

i like your sense of humour that betrays your unloving heart and most of all ... the orthodox spirituality.

now, since you are so kind to kick me out of any orthodox church, would you go a step further and advice me to separate (divorce) from my wife (she is orthodox!!!) just to keep the church clean?.. what's your wisdom on this?..
    (now, you cannot fail to notice that this is a question to you..., it's got a question mark...or 2!!!)

Your wife could not be Orthodox. If she was Orthodox, she would have had to marry you in the Coptic Orthodox Church, which would mean that you would be Coptic Orthodox yourself. But this is not the case. Is it!?

I suggest in all sincerity, in all lovingness that you do not bother with the Orthodox Church. Its not to kick you out, nor is it an attempt to rid you from giving others a headache, but its just because we are not desperate for trouble makers, nor people who are hell-bent on teaching us protestantism NOR attacking our faith.

If its OK with you, I'd prefer not to deal with you. My bible teaches me to flee from evilness... I will try and apply that to this conversation.
  • That's not true.

When I became Orthodox my wife was not. So I was Orthodox and she was not. This is the same for a great many converts.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10973.msg132973#msg132973 date=1300140549]
    That's not true.

When I became Orthodox my wife was not. So I was Orthodox and she was not. This is the same for a great many converts.

Yes, OK.. but they obviously got married outside the Coptic Orthodox Church.. which means that if she had done this, she would have been excommunicated from the Coptic Orthodox Church.

If you got married in the Catholic Church 10 years ago, the Coptic Orthodox Church would have excommunicated you.

She'd have had to repent, and remarry in the Orthodox.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=10973.msg132890#msg132890 date=1300081661]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

Meena,

If you have already presented evidence from Scripture about the real Presence in Communion, then you should defer the matter to your priest.  You have done your part. Now just pray for your friends, that the Light of Christ enlightens their hearts and minds.

Hey,

Small note - the term 'real presence of Christ' is a catholic one; you may want to use a different expression.

God bless,

LiD
  • Why would she have to repent for marrying someone before being Orthodox?

She has nothing to repent of at all and is not liable to any excommunication.

I married my wife long before I became Orthodox. How could I be excommunicated before I was Orthodox for having done something commendable and human before I became Orthodox?
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10973.msg132976#msg132976 date=1300140879]
    Why would she have to repent for marrying someone before being Orthodox?

She has nothing to repent of at all and is not liable to any excommunication.

I married my wife long before I became Orthodox. How could I be excommunicated before I was Orthodox for having done something commendable and human before I became Orthodox?

So Father, let me explain this:

Let's say I am an Orthodox Christian, and I fall in love with a protestant lady.

She's protestant, and I'm Orthodox.

If i get married OUTSIDE the COptic Orthodox Church, I would be excommunicated. That's not my suggestion, its not my opinion, its a sad fact. So, I would have to repent, and get RE-MARRIED in the Coptic Orthodox Church.

This is a fact that most Coptic Orthodox Christians would have realised living in the west where we are bound to have met non-Orthodox women, whose FoC's would have explained to us.

Maybe things have lightened up, but 10 years ago, this was the case, and I do believe it is still the case.

Im not sure if the term Excommunicated is correct, but my FoC explained that I will no longer be able to have the Holy Communion if I chose this path.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

I fail to see what your issue with the expression 'real presence of Christ' is. While it may be used by Catholics, it is certainly an Orthodox concept as far as I'm aware. The bread and wine become the very Body and Blood of Christ Himself, therefore He is truly present in this Sacrament.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10973.msg132977#msg132977 date=1300141038]
    So Father, let me explain this:

Let's say I am an Orthodox Christian, and I fall in love with a protestant lady.

She's protestant, and I'm Orthodox.

If i get married OUTSIDE the COptic Orthodox Church, I would be excommunicated. That's not my suggestion, its not my opinion, its a sad fact. So, I would have to repent, and get RE-MARRIED in the Coptic Orthodox Church.

This is a fact that most Coptic Orthodox Christians would have realised living in the west where we are bound to have met non-Orthodox women, whose FoC's would have explained to us.

Maybe things have lightened up, but 10 years ago, this was the case, and I do believe it is still the case.

i don't know where you are getting your information from...but this doesn't happen.....at all.
  • What has that example got to do with any of the cases mentioned on this thread?

We are talking about people who are non-Orthodox and marry a non-Orthodox and one of them becomes Orthodox later.

• [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=10973.msg132978#msg132978 date=1300141050]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

I fail to see what your issue with the expression 'real presence of Christ' is. While it may be used by Catholics, it is certainly an Orthodox concept as far as I'm aware. The bread and wine become the very Body and Blood of Christ Himself, therefore He is truly present in this Sacrament.

I really admire those who put thought into trying to discern the thoughts of others; in this case the storehouse is quite bare.

I didn't mention anything about the Orthodoxy of the expression and to be honest I don't know wether it is Orthodox or not.

I mentioned it because there might be a more appropriate Orthodox expression to use so you could make your own mind up.

My own peripheral thoughts on the matter is that 'real presence' sounds odd because the confession we make is not that Christ is present in the Eucharist but that He IS the Eucharist.

Please correct me in anything which I may have erred in.

God bless you again,

LiD
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Fair enough.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10973.msg132980#msg132980 date=1300141227]
    What has that example got to do with any of the cases mentioned on this thread?

We are talking about people who are non-Orthodox and marry a non-Orthodox and one of them becomes Orthodox later.

That's your case. My understanding of Lightening's case is that he married a woman who was ALREADY Orthodox. If she was already Orthodox, and she married outside the Orthodox Church, then she would not be allowed to take the Holy Communion in her Church. At least, this was the case in the Coptic Orthodox Church.

Mina, if its changed.. fine.. but I actually know this to be a fact from several priests. Why don't you ask Anba Youssef or David? I'd be interested to know if this policy has changed.
  • No that's not the case. He said he is married to an Orthodox Christian, not that he married one.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10973.msg132986#msg132986 date=1300141546]
    No that's not the case. He said he is married to an Orthodox Christian, not that he married one.

OK.. If she was baptised Orthodox and she married him, she'd need to repent for it, and no doubt re-marry in the Coptic Orthodox Church. If she became Orthodox DURING her marriage, then that is a different matter.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10973.msg132979#msg132979 date=1300141211]
    i don't know where you are getting your information from...but this doesn't happen.....at all.

Check with your priest.

Thanks

• Speaking of the Eucharist - I wonder how God will unite us since we seem to be so good at fighting with one another.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=10973.msg132865#msg132865 date=1300064935]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

The idea that the Holy Eucharist is not the true Body and Blood of Christ is certainly a dangerous notion. The Church has taught this from the time of the Apostles.  Even Christ Himself, when He instituted the sacrament of Communion, stated in no uncertain terms, that the bread and wine were indeed His Body and Blood. It is good that you have drawn your friends attention to this and tried to correct their thinking. To further hammer home the notion, refer them to the Gospel of John, Chapter 6 verses 30 to the end. It is abundantly clear that Communion is partaking in the very true Body and Blood of Christ. The people's reaction further verifies this as many found this to be a 'hard saying' and 'no longer walked with Him'. If the sacrament of Communion was merely a symbol as some say, would people have left or found it a hard saying? And if Christ didn't really mean that it was truly His Body and Blood, don't you think He would have clarified and said, 'Wait a second folks, this is strictly symbolic. Y'all don't need to leave.'

Just so we're clear, if I do use the expression 'the real presence of Christ', make sure you read my earlier posts where I qualify what exactly I mean by this expression. I wouldn't say I'm using it without having first qualified it. Reading a single post in isolation is never a wise thing to do.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=10973.msg132991#msg132991 date=1300142235]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=10973.msg132865#msg132865 date=1300064935]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

The idea that the Holy Eucharist is not the true Body and Blood of Christ is certainly a dangerous notion. The Church has taught this from the time of the Apostles.  Even Christ Himself, when He instituted the sacrament of Communion, stated in no uncertain terms, that the bread and wine were indeed His Body and Blood. It is good that you have drawn your friends attention to this and tried to correct their thinking. To further hammer home the notion, refer them to the Gospel of John, Chapter 6 verses 30 to the end. It is abundantly clear that Communion is partaking in the very true Body and Blood of Christ. The people's reaction further verifies this as many found this to be a 'hard saying' and 'no longer walked with Him'. If the sacrament of Communion was merely a symbol as some say, would people have left or found it a hard saying? And if Christ didn't really mean that it was truly His Body and Blood, don't you think He would have clarified and said, 'Wait a second folks, this is strictly symbolic. Y'all don't need to leave.'

Just so we're clear, if I do use the expression 'the real presence of Christ', make sure you read my earlier posts where I qualify what exactly I mean by this expression. I wouldn't say I'm using it without having first qualified it. Reading a single post in isolation is never a wise thing to do.

Even without this post I have absolute confidence in your knowledge dear brother; the ones who generated the term - less so.

Phew!  So much dialoge for such a small comment - as I said the first time - I admire people who read into the intent of the others and yet again this storehouse you're searching - it is very bare.

God bless you,

LiD
  • [quote author=LifeInDeath link=topic=10973.msg132990#msg132990 date=1300141915]
    Speaking of the Eucharist - I wonder how God will unite us since we seem to be so good at fighting with one another.

Can I say the names of the priests and Bishops who told me that I would be excommunicated if I married outside the Coptic Orthodox Church? That way, u can ask them? A few actually mentioned it as a general point, and some was actual direct information.
  • [quote author=LifeInDeath link=topic=10973.msg132990#msg132990 date=1300141915]
    Speaking of the Eucharist - I wonder how God will unite us since we seem to be so good at fighting with one another.

I think you're right - I don't understand why we are fighting. God is far stronger and far wiser than we - denominations and church politics matter more to us than they do to Him, I doubt He gives them much thought - I don't think we should either. The few Protestant people I know are men and women of God who have given massive amounts of their lives to the service of God and His flock. For my part, I love and respect my Protestant brothers and sisters in Christ and I respect their spirituality and worship, even if I think it is lacking in some areas. Our Church is not perfect either - there are undesirable extremes in both our Churches.

New Age religions, the New Atheism and militant agnosticism are all on the rise in Western countries - they are far more serious threats to truth than most forms of Protestantism.

That's my 2c - I just think that we ought to focus more on the massive areas of agreement rather than the (still significant) areas of disagreement. That's the only way positive things can come from our differences, rather than more division.

Pray for me
  • dearest zox,
    you are my favourite blog pal. your replies are oozing with hate and prejudice and i wonder what it would be like to meet you in the church. should i bring with me a body guard to avoid the effects of your unloving welcome?.. surely, my wife would needs one too so that she might be able to take communion before you kick her out (coz she is married to a non-orthodox).
    i think you are not that evil, after all, you just need to chill out, as mabsoota sugested...
  • Lightening

Do as u want.
  • zox, did you know that the priest is allowed to marry more than once?... :o

i am sure you know that.
    ...coz he marries every bride and groom on their wedding day!!
    :D
  • [quote author=lightening link=topic=10973.msg133006#msg133006 date=1300147364]
    zox, did you know that the priest is allowed to marry more than once?... :o

i am sure you know that.
    ...coz he marries every bride and groom on their wedding day!!
    :D

hmmmm....i don't think this is funny. it's more like he "crowns" more than once.