EO Lenten Services

Forgive me, a sinner.

I greet you all with a sincere and thankful heart that we are ever closer to restored communion, and that one day soon we will be able to receive the most Holy Mysteries in each others' churches.  In keeping with the theme of unity and sharing of hymns and texts, I thought I would share with you a service that the EO uses every day in the first week of Great Lent, and then every Monday evening for the rest of the Fast: Great Compline.  This is served with portions of the Canon of St. Andrew of Crete, which is the most beautiful hymn of repentance in the Church (not to mention one of the longest).  Here it is: http://www.antiochianladiocese.org/files/service_texts/great_lent/great_compline/Great-Compline-LENT.pdf

Also, you may find a copy of the Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete here: http://www.monachos.net/content/patristics/patristictexts/484.  It is broken up in four parts, so you'll need to view each one separately. 

Enjoy, and hopefully we'll get some discussion about these services.  Also, if the OO has particular services that are specific to Great Lent (and hymns), please post them too in another topic, because it would be so great if we could learn each others' services for future, since we will one day reunite. 

Comments

• Actually, a good part of what you posted is what Coptic christians pray everyday, in and outside of lent. We have a book of prayers called the agpeya, and there are hours to be prayed at all times of the day (Dawn, morning, noon, afternoon, sunset, compline, midnight). A good part of what you posted is various prayers from the agpeya taken from all hours of the day. A good example of our past unity.

PK
  • It's really interesting you bring up the Agpeya!  We in the EO have the Agpeya too, only in English we call it "The Hours," which consists of First, Third, Sixth, Ninth, Compline, Vespers, and Midnight Hours.  We also have Orthros (Matins), which has a daily and weekend form.  Compline, as mentioned as one of the Hours, is prayed as either "Little Compline" or "Great Compline," with Great Compline typically prayed in Great Lent, the Dormition Fast, and the Nativity Fast, with Little Compline being the regular service used throughout the year.  I downloaded nearly two years ago the Coptic Agpeya in English and have used that on occasion, and I like it a great deal more in many respects because there are many more Psalms--this reflects the monastic practice in the EO, actually--but most of the prayers are the same. 
    But you are most certainly correct, most of the prayers and hymns in the Great Compline service are found in the Agpeya, both EO and OO forms, which is why it would be "Great," since it is an extended service of the Hours.  A typical Great Compline service with canon would take just over an hour and a half if the hymns are sung. 

Are there any specific Lenten services and/or prayers in the OO, or more specifically, the Coptic tradition of the OO?  For example, a prayer in the EO that is usually only prayed during Great Lent is the "Prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian":

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of pride, meddling, lust of power, and idle talk.  (prostration)
    But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant.  (prostration)
    Yea, O Lord and King, grant that I may see my own sins and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou unto the ages of ages.  Amen.  (prostration)
  • I attended service with my Eastern Orthodox friends last night as they started lent today, and they prayed this prayer. It was a great service very similar to our Ninth hour in the Agpeya! I loved the response of St. Ephraim, I though it encompassed the spirit of the fast in a very practical fashion.

In the Coptic Rite, what changes during Lent are the weekday liturgies. Since it is traditional to fast with abstinence from food for most of the day during lent, early morning Wednesday and Friday liturgy are moved to the end of the day. Also, during these weekday liturgies, there are readings from the Books of Moses, and some prophecies according to the day, which doesn't really happen any other time of the year other than Passion Week. Lastly, from what I can think of, the last Friday of Lent has prayer dedicated to the Unction of the Sick before the Liturgy begins.

Of course the tunes and context of the hymns and prayers change to a Lenten "theme". Since the Agpeya is more of a personal prayer book, it is still done at the normal times on your own, and the appropriate hours are prayed when liturgy is later in the day. If anyone can correct or add to my post, please do.

Have a blessed Lent, my brothers and sisters.
  • Also, the Coptic church has three liturgies:

The Liturgy of Saint Basil
    The Liturgy of Saint Cyril
    The Liturgy of Saint Gregory

The Liturgy of Saint Cyril is rarely prayed outside of lent. It has become tradition that this liturgy be used at the weekday liturgies of lent. Saint Basil's liturgy is the one most commonly used in the Coptic church, the standard annual one. Saint Gregory's liturgy is prayed on master feasts such as Resurrection and Nativity.

PK
  • This is also so very interesting!  The EO has several liturgies as well, and three of which are the three you mentioned, but we also have a few more.  It is very rare for the EO to use the Liturgies of St. Cyril or St. Gregory the Theologian, however I have heard of the latter being used by some churches on occasion.  As someone pointed out in another post on this site (well, it's been said several times), the EO uses St. John Chrysostom's Liturgy most of the time, with St. Basil's Liturgy being used in some seasons, like the Nativity and Lenten Fasts.  There are also a couple more liturgies that we use that I don't think the OO Churches use:
    1.  Divine Liturgy of St. James - used by churches named after this saint on special occasions, and by some on the feast of St. James. 
    2. Divine Liturgy of St. Gregory the Dialogist (aka "Divine Liturgy of the Presantified Gifts") - used almost exclusively during Great Lent in the mid-week Liturgies that occur usually in the evenings, and also during Great and Holy Week in the mornings Monday through Wednesday. 

This is great dialogue so far--let's keep it coming!  Thank you to all who have posted!
  • The Syrians use a variant of the Liturgy of St James, and my own diocese of the British Orthodox Church in the Coptic Orthodox Church uses Greek St James as our usual liturgy.

Father Peter
  • I thought this thread would be a good place to post this. Please let me know though if I should have started another thread.

joseph.vandenbrink,

do you know where I could find a good video of the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom on the internet? I've been looking to find one, and I haven't been able to. Also, if it isn't too much trouble are there any videos of the EO rite for the liturgy of St. Basil.

Thanks!
  • [quote author=anba bola link=topic=10927.msg132613#msg132613 date=1299712773]
    I thought this thread would be a good place to post this. Please let me know though if I should have started another thread.

joseph.vandenbrink,

do you know where I could find a good video of the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom on the internet? I've been looking to find one, and I haven't been able to. Also, if it isn't too much trouble are there any videos of the EO rite for the liturgy of St. Basil.

Thanks!

I second that.
  • I'll get on that for you folks.  It may take a bit of time, but I'll find it. 
  • I am actually surprised finding videos for the liturgies would be this difficult!  I have a video on DVD, but not way of getting it onto the computer (only a netbook).  I did find this site, though, which may be helpful: http://www.myocn.net/index.php/The-Divine-Liturgy-Broadcast-from-St.-Demetrios.html  Almost halfway down the page on the right hand side of the middle (still in the white part) you'll see "Archived Divine Liturgy" and below it "Watch archived services on demand," and you'll probably want to click on that.  Other than that, I'd recommend going to an EO church if you're able to and when you don't have a Divine Liturgy at your church.  I know some OO churches celebrate the Divine Liturgy on Saturday if they don't have a regular priest, or at least this is how it's done in my part of the world.  So, that would be a great opportunity to go see an EO Liturgy.  If you can go to a church, however, that actually has a deacon, you'll see a little more closely what the service should look like.  The role of the deacon is quite a bit different in the EO than in the OO, at least Liturgically. 
  • Dear Joseph

I would be very interested in hearing more about the role of the deacon in the EO, and the differences with the role in the OO?

God bless

Father Peter

• I would actually be more interested in watching (or hearing) a BOC Liturgy!  ;D

Do you have any?
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10927.msg132666#msg132666 date=1299769912]
    Dear Joseph

I would be very interested in hearing more about the role of the deacon in the EO, and the differences with the role in the OO?

God bless

Father Peter

Certainly, Fr. Peter. 

The deacon intones the ektenias, and essentially leads the people in prayer.  The deacon also serves at the altar of God with the priest and/or bishop.  In the absense of a priest, the deacon may administer communion (but may not preside over a Divine Liturgy, since he is not ordained to preside over the consecration), and also assists in the administration of communion during the liturgy.  The deacon is also responsible for a majority of the censings during the services of the Church.  The Deacon is an actual ordained position, not that of the tonsure, and the ordination of a Deacon occurs at the altar.  The typical minimum age for a deacon is 30, but there have been instances of Deacons being ordained at 25 or a little less (though not very common). 

The Sub-Deacon, however, is a tonsured position, and this position does not have much to do with serving at the Altar of God, but rather being an assistant to the Deacon (hence, Sub-Deacon).  The SubDeacon usually looks after the "menial" duties in the church and in the services (I don't mean menial quite so literally), and is in charge, more or less, of the acolytes. 

I can post more on this later, but I'm afraid I have to get to work. 

• Actually, this isn't much different from what the OO church rites call for. The ACTUAL deacons and archdeacons are allowed to administer communion, just like in the EO church. They used to be the only ones allowed to serve with the priest in the altar. What you see nowadays is a distortion of the rank unfortunately. Most OO churches do not have any deacons or archdeacons serving. The ones you see in the altar with the priest are chanters and readers. I would say that chanters and readers are closest to altar boys, or altar servers in the EO church. The rank of sub-deacon also exists in the OO church.

PK 
  • PopeKyrillos is right, its not as common in our church since not many are willing to commit themselves to the church in the manner a deacon is supposed to be committed so they are never ordained full deacons. The full deacons that are ordained are usually elderly people or people that are eventually going to be ordained priests. As mentioned, full deacons are allowed to distribute the communion, but ONLY the Blood, they are not allowed to touch the Body. I have however seen a rejuvenation of the proper rites and more churches who have people willing to take this commitment and be ordained deacons.
  • The Ethiopians use the Liturgy of St. John the Beloved by the way.
  • [quote author=joseph.vandenbrink link=topic=10927.msg132664#msg132664 date=1299768296]
    I am actually surprised finding videos for the liturgies would be this difficult!  I have a video on DVD, but not way of getting it onto the computer (only a netbook).  I did find this site, though, which may be helpful: http://www.myocn.net/index.php/The-Divine-Liturgy-Broadcast-from-St.-Demetrios.html  Almost halfway down the page on the right hand side of the middle (still in the white part) you'll see "Archived Divine Liturgy" and below it "Watch archived services on demand," and you'll probably want to click on that.  Other than that, I'd recommend going to an EO church if you're able to and when you don't have a Divine Liturgy at your church.  I know some OO churches celebrate the Divine Liturgy on Saturday if they don't have a regular priest, or at least this is how it's done in my part of the world.  So, that would be a great opportunity to go see an EO Liturgy.  If you can go to a church, however, that actually has a deacon, you'll see a little more closely what the service should look like.  The role of the deacon is quite a bit different in the EO than in the OO, at least Liturgically. 

Thanks! I found one with HAH Patriarch Bartholomew present from 2003, but I sort of forgot about it. I hope to be able to watch both.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=10927.msg132671#msg132671 date=1299775425]
    Actually, this isn't much different from what the OO church rites call for. The ACTUAL deacons and archdeacons are allowed to administer communion, just like in the EO church. They used to be the only ones allowed to serve with the priest in the altar. What you see nowadays is a distortion of the rank unfortunately. Most OO churches do not have any deacons or archdeacons serving. The ones you see in the altar with the priest are chanters and readers. I would say that chanters and readers are closest to altar boys, or altar servers in the EO church. The rank of sub-deacon also exists in the OO church.

PK 
    [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10927.msg132675#msg132675 date=1299776135]
    PopeKyrillos is right, its not as common in our church since not many are willing to commit themselves to the church in the manner a deacon is supposed to be committed so they are never ordained full deacons. The full deacons that are ordained are usually elderly people or people that are eventually going to be ordained priests. As mentioned, full deacons are allowed to distribute the communion, but ONLY the Blood, they are not allowed to touch the Body. I have however seen a rejuvenation of the proper rites and more churches who have people willing to take this commitment and be ordained deacons.

I thank you both for the correction!  I thought there was something amiss, especially with regards to the "distortion" of the Holy Diaconate's role in the Liturgy--I much appreciate the clarification. 
    My observation, mind you, regarding the Deacons and leading prayer, comes from observing parts of the Liturgy in each tradition.  For example, at the beginning of any Divine Liturgy in the EO, the first Deacon (usually an Archdeacon, Protodeacon, or the most senior Deacon) will come out through the North Deacon's Door and will stand before the Royal Doors, and after privately petitioning God for mercy thrice, he will raise his orarion in his right hand and intone, "Bless, Master."  After this, the celebrant Priest or Bishop will then raise the Gospel Book high above the Antimension and while making the sign of the cross over the Antimension, he will intone, "Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages."  To which the congregation/choir/both will respond with "Amen."  Then, the Deacon, having not left his position from before the Royal Doors, will raise his orarion and begin the "Great Ektenia," making the sign of the cross after each petition: 

Deacon: "In peace let us pray to the Lord." 

People: "Lord, have mercy." 

Deacon: "For the peace from above and for the salvation of our souls, let us pray to the Lord."

Peope: "Lord, have mercy." 

Deacon: "For the peace of the whole world and for the welfare of the Holy Churches of God, let us pray to the Lord." 

This dialogue continues for the rest of the Great Ektenia, and all ektenias (aka "litanies") follow this pattern.  The Deacon is also responsible for censing the church during most services, including Orthros (the OO "Raising of Incense," if I'm not mistaken), which is supposed to be prayed immediately before the Divine Liturgy, and also every day in monastic communities or in churches where there is a full-time priest. 

In regards to serving Holy Communion, I forgot yet again that the OO does not administer the Holy Mysteries together (ie: in the EO, the Body of Christ is placed in the Holy Chalice with His most Precious Blood and is administered with a liturgical spoon into the mouths of the faithful and minor clergy, instead of administering the Immaculate Body from the hand of the celebrant directly into the mouth of the communicant). 

I think my demonstrated ignorance of the OO role of a Deacon is indicative that we need to be visiting each others' churches and learning from each other and together. 
  • DEar all,
    I'm interested in knowing how many days the EO congregation fast? I learnt that they have a preparation week similar to us, but not necessarily part of the counted days. May someone explain please...
    Oujai
  • The EO Lenten Triodion starts three Sundays before Clean Monday (first day of the Fast), and that week we do not fast at all (not even Wednesday and Friday), because it follows the Sunday of the Pharisee and the Publican and we don't fast so that we may not be like the self-righteous Pharisee.  The week before Great Lent, following the Sunday of the Last Judgement (aka, "Meatfare Sunday"), we fast only from meat, but can still have eggs, dairy, oil, and wine.  The Great Fast starts on Clean Monday, which follows the Sunday commemorating the Expulsion of Adam and Eve from the Garden.  So, technically, it's kind of fasting, but only from meat. 
    Other than that, we fast every Wednesday and Friday throughout the year, the fifteen days before the Dormition of the Theotokos, the 40 days before the Nativity of Christ, as well as the Apostles' Fast (varies year to year), the fast for the Beheading of St. John the Baptist, and other such feasts.  All in all, I'd say we are fasting anywhere from just over half to two-thirds of the year (this depends largely on how long the Apostles' Fast is, mind you, but it's still well over half!). 
  • dear Joseph,
    the answer wasn't very clear, I'm talking about how many days you fast during the LENT, and the HOLY WEEK if you do... thanks
    Oujai
  • they do all lent like us, just the 1st week they only fast from meat.
    they are more strict than us about using less oil (it varies very much from one community to another and from one country to another).
    some days in lent they are allowed disgusting shellfish (i never liked them!), and in some churches they are allowed beer during lent (i know, i can't imagine it either!). but if they are very strict they use hardly any oil at all, and, personally i would rather eat oil than drink beer anyday!

some eastern orthodox people do extreme fasting during Holy week, i think maybe more than some of us. they have loads of special services which i would love to go to some day.
    actually i would love to go to our services too, usually i am working.

i am wondering, if i go to church on good friday after a (usually very busy) night shift, whether i should go late (like about 1pm) after 2 hours sleep, or if i should go on time and then try to stay awake the whole service.
    is it worse to go late or to snore during the 400 kyrie eleison?
    also is it ok to ask the person next to me to wake me up for the kyrie eleison (my favourite part) or is that rude (as it assumes i will sleep which i will try not to!)
    or should i just sleep all day and then go for apocalypses (revelation all-night service) where i will be the only person really awake while everyone else is trying not to sleep?
    i really wish i could go to both services, but i think i will have to choose!
  • OK, I was told by a Romanian colleague that she doesn't fast the first preparation week unlike us, but she denied fasting the Holy week; she wasn't very sure though: that said, she will celebrate EAster on the day we do as well, how come?!
    Mabsoota,
    IF you're asking my personal opinion I'd go at 13.00, and try to stay awake, but even if you doze off you can ask someone who knows you well to wake you up, no problem with that, besides also trying to go to apocalypse night...
    Oujai
  • Ophadace,

It is my understanding that when the Eastern Orthodox (not all though, some still go by the Julian calender) switched to the new calender, they made it so that the date of Easter would be celebrated on the same day as it would be on the old calender.
  • Can't understand it still... they fast forty days, start a week later than us and still celebrate Easter on the same day as we do... how come?
    Oujai
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10927.msg132675#msg132675 date=1299776135]
    As mentioned, full deacons are allowed to distribute the communion, but ONLY the Blood, they are not allowed to touch the Body.

jydeacon: on this point concerning deacons, I have seen a deacon who was distributing the Blood pick up the Body with his hands when some children accidentally drop it from there mouths. When I asked him about it he said the deacon IS allowed to distribute the body - at least historically, and that he has an understanding with the priests in special situations such as the one I witnessed.

Is this correct?
  • Unworthy1,

As far as I know they are only allowed to distribute the blood so long as there is a priest present, but if the priest lets say, passes away in the middle of the liturgy and the bread and wine have become Body and Blood, the highest ranking deacon will take his place and finish the liturgy. However, if the priest is present and gives the deacon permission I suppose they could pick up the body in that circumstance. I'm not 100% on if they can for sure give it out with the priests permission. In the ordination rites it says Blood but does not mention Body. I will need to do more research.
  • In the ancient times the laity themselves would commune themselves at home from reserved sacrament, and the deacon could lead the congregation in the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts which was composed by St Severus, and the laity received the body of our Lord into their hand to commune at the Liturgy.

The deacon should not handle the body of our Lord as a matter of good order, but that is all. Is it more respectful to God for a deacon to catch a fragment, or to let it fall to the ground?

We are all of us given the blessing of receiving the body and blood into our very bodies. Therefore it is not a matter of harm to a person to touch that which he will receive but a matter of order and reverence.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10927.msg132916#msg132916 date=1300121890]
    In the ancient times the laity themselves would commune themselves at home from reserved sacrament, and the deacon could lead the congregation in the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts which was composed by St Severus, and the laity received the body of our Lord into their hand to commune at the Liturgy.

Interesting, I never knew that. Maybe that is why I never understood why Catholics were allowed to hold the Body in their hands and drink from the Blood themselves.

[quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10927.msg132916#msg132916 date=1300121890]
    The deacon should not handle the body of our Lord as a matter of good order, but that is all. Is it more respectful to God for a deacon to catch a fragment, or to let it fall to the ground?

Certainly, it is more respectful to pick up the Body then to leave it lying on the ground. I am unclear about what you mean by "good order," father.

Why was the ritual changed and the laity no longer allowed to handle the Body and Blood for themselves? And the deacon as well?

• also, historically, did the churches in egypt and syria and armenia have presanctified liturgies?
    when did we oriental orthodox churches stop doing that?

ophadece, thanks for your advice, i'll bear it in mind.

by the way, if the priest dies during a service and a deacon finishes handing out the Body and Blood, he has to stay at the altar until a bishop can be found to consecrate him a priest (that's what my priest told me a few years ago).