Coptic Converter

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi all,
Do you guys know where I would be able to convert CS New Athanasius
into New Athanasius? Are they the same font?
Anyways, God bless, Pray for me,
Cyril

Comments

• [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10954.msg132692#msg132692 date=1299797337]
    Hi all,
    Do you guys know where I would be able to convert CS New Athanasius
    into New Athanasius? Are they the same font?
    Anyways, God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril

why would you wanna do that?! we are trying to unify coptic script not disperse.

they are exactly the same font (view-wise) but they are different characters on the keyboard. we have a converter into CS fonts.
  • I was typing something for Albair and he wanted to make it New Athanasius.
    My online ressource is typed in CS New Athanasius.
    Why are they different? They look the same.
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10954.msg132695#msg132695 date=1299798529]
    I was typing something for Albair and he wanted to make it New Athanasius.
    My online ressource is typed in CS New Athanasius.

haha...online resources which i probably provided. not that i care.

Why are they different? They look the same.
    Cyril

to much to write in a text so read this and it'll explain everything: http://www.copticchurch.net/coptic_fonts/
  • Cyril,

I made New Athanasius in 1992 so there would be one font with jencom instead of 3 like Antonios.

The difference is font mapping. Pressing one key with the New Athanasius font may give you a different letter than CS New Athanasius. That's the only difference.

Mina, as much as I appreciate CS fonts. It's not the standard. Unicode is the standard people use. Unfortuneately, a lot of online web email clients, like Gmail and Yahoo, do not know how to encode and process many Unicode fonts. So people don't like using them.

The thing to remember is that all CS fonts and all non-Unicode fonts are actually English fonts that look like Coptic. Unicode uses the Coptic keymap. So it a Coptic font. That is why people use unicode fonts in the publication industry. If you want to use Unicode go to www.danacbe.com or www.moheb.de.

And I know there is a converter from New Athanasius to Unicode. And there is a converter for New Athanasius to CS New Athanasius but I don't think either converter works backwords. There is no CS New Athanasius to New Athanasius. Although there is a big work around.
    George
  • So if I were to type the things in CS New Athanasius, Albair
    would not see a difference?
    GB, PFM,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=10954.msg132698#msg132698 date=1299799570]
    Mina, as much as I appreciate CS fonts. It's not the standard. Unicode is the standard people use. Unfortuneately, a lot of online web email clients, like Gmail and Yahoo, do not know how to encode and process many Unicode fonts. So people don't like using them.

well i didn't state it was the standard but it was created to be. similar to your reason for creating New Athanasius (which i am surprised to know). the difference that they added a couple of extra fonts to. also it was found to be the easiest way for people who who don't know much about computers to deal with. to the point of putting all the fonts in a exe package so it would be as easy as downloading and clicking Next. i read a little about Unicode fonts and i did look at that page of Moheb before.....but I never spent that much time on it simply because i myself do everything on CS (and i have to say i do A LOT to simply change now).
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10954.msg132699#msg132699 date=1299800203]
    So if I were to type the things in CS New Athanasius, Albair
    would not see a difference?

he will need to have the font thoo. the thing is that he might need the text only in New Athanasius for limitations when printing or publishing tell him that.
  • Since we are already talking about the computer coptic....On CS Avva Shenouda, what is the letter that comes up when you press"\" (key under backspace). its an epselon ontop of an o.