Orthodox eBooks

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I recommend the site www.orthodoxebooks.org. It is a wonderful site full of good Orthodox books. Although the site does have its flaws, it still has a lot of good free books. If you have a kindle or another kind of e-reader, it is great.

Comments

• This site awesome!!! I am using them to put books in my ipod
  • Hey Ioannes,

if (when :)) you find a flaw please post them and we'll see what we can do. It's really a help when you report something. I make a lot of mistakes most of which I eventually notice, but some do get through so it helps when you let us know. We also have a code that allows you to search just patristics which can come in handy.

Here it is:
    inauthor:"St. Alexander " | inauthor:"St. Athanasius" | inauthor:"Barnabas" | inauthor:"Clement " |inauthor:" Cyril"| inauthor:"Dionysius" | inauthor:"Gregory" | inauthor:"Justin" | inauthor:"Asheia" | inauthor:"Papias" | inauthor:"Benedicta" | inauthor:"Mathetes" | inauthor:"Samaan" | inauthor:"Peter" | inauthor:"Chrysostom" | inauthor:"Ignatius" | inauthor:"Polycarp" | inauthor:"Hippolytus" | inauthor:"Irenaeus" | inauthor:"Theophilus"

just paste this in to the search bar after your search query and it'll search only patristics. You can also search just one author by searching something under the search tab, and then going to the bottom of the page and clicking on advanced book search, and typing something under author or title, which will specify where you want to search.

Thanks Ioannes for starting this thread I was just about to post this new information under a thread.

Please pray for me.
  • Ioannes, what were the flaws you found?

If its uploading books you can email them to us (I can pm you my email or the official email.) I know the way we have set up isn't the best, but it is necessary because of copyrights and so we can review that a book is Orthodox. Sorry for any frustration.
  • I also found an Orthodox Translation of the New Testament that is published, and it's really quite good.  You can download it as a PDF file here: http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/download/eobntpublic.pdf, and you can visit the website for the project here: http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/index.asp.  This would be a great addition to your library. 

If I find any other good eBooks that are Orthodox, I'll try to remember to post them. 

Blessed Fast!
  • http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/download/eobntpublic.pdf
    Would the Coptic church  switch to the Orthodox Translation of the New Testament for Liturgy once it is published?
  • Thanks Joseph.vandenbrink,

I'll try to upload it to the site. Please pray for me that God may give me time. I'm very behind on the site and the site director has left us for 3 months. We have many more books including works by St. Athanasius and many others and because I have gotten so busy I've been unable to do any work on them.
  • Thanks Joseph for the link to the Greek Orthodox Bible.

I have one question,though. In Mark 6:50 ,Jesus says "or they all saw Him and were terrified. But immediately He spoke with them and said to them, “Take courage; it is I, do not be afraid.”. The Lord says ' 'it is I' and not 'It is I am',that is, His Name. I thought the 'am' was missing due to faulty translation. Apparantly that does not seem to be the reason, as the link you provided has the same version as the other English translations. That Jesus is God is mainly revealed in the John's gospel ,but also to some extent in Marks, but in this particular situation why would Jesus say 'it is I'? 
  • Because that is the way we identify ourselves in English. It is I. Why do you think this doesn't make sense?
  • I think I understand why Hezekiel is confused.

In the English normally spoken we usually say its me, but in proper written English it we write it is I.
  • I think ,I did not properly explain what I mean.My issue is not with Grammar.

In Exudos 3:14 ,God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

Note,God did not tell Moses  to "tell them 'I' has sent me, but 'I AM'. I believe there is a difference between 'I' and 'I AM'.God's name thoroughout the OT is 'I AM'. In the Gospel according to John, Jesus makes it very clear that He is 'I AM', because that is His Name. Whereas in Mark 6:50 ,the Lord says; 'It is I', when he could have said  "Take courage; do not be afraid, I AM'. I am rather asking why  He would say that,unless either something was lost in translation or St Mark's account emphasizes less on the divinity of Christ.My understanding is He is "I AM' not 'I',eventhough one may argue 'I AM' and 'It is I' may mean the same thing.
  • I don't think you can say that our Lord never used the normal personal pronoun 'I'. Sometimes he says 'I AM' but there is no reason why he should not just use 'I'.

I think you are possibly trying to make more of things than is required.

Our Lord is both I and I AM. He says 'I have come.. etc' He doesn't say 'I AM have come'
  • I am not trying to make an elephant out of a fly,but I posed the question to find out if there is any orthodox view on the verse as I have come across writings that claim the translation was faulty and that it should read 'I AM'. Of course,our Lord may have used 'I' in some instances,but not when it is about His Identity or Name.In this particular verse, when He says 'it is I', He is revealing to them who He is,that is, His Name. "I AM" suggests His Divinity.Therefore, the argument is that St Mark does not reveal the divinity of Jesus. I also learned that the divinity of  Jesus is revealed and more pronounced only in St John's gospel.I am not sure if these ideas are correct, because in the three Gospels, we have Jesus forgiving sins,something that only God can do. Anyway,it is not a big deal;I apologise, if my questions came across as mere nuisance or unnecessary.
  • Dear anba bola,

I am not sure if this is something that you can correct, but I will point it out. Page 39/53 in the section of Spiritual Gifts and Speaking in tongues of HH Pope Shenouda's Comparative Theology the translation is: The Apostle says: "Therefore Jet him who speaks in a tongue..."

I believe it should read "LET"
  • Hey Unworthy1,

Unfortunately we aren't the ones who translate the books. We just collect the PDFs and upload them, so we can't really do anything about it. It should be let though. I'll see if I can find a way to fix it.
  • Any idea what happened to the site?
  • God willing, it will be back up by Wednesday at the latest.
  • THANK GOD. I CAN'T STAND IT BEING DOWN. God speed.
  • Anba Bola! Are you by any chance from Queens, and DC, and Kenya, and Philly, and almost everywhere else in the world? If you're not who you think I are, this is not going to make any sense :)