Tonia Generator??

2»

Comments

• so it would be wrong to wear them in the occasion that I mentioned above, since there were no sacraments there, correct?

What about when an older person gets baptized? I think they were tonias too. Is this right?
  • In the case of the adult baptism it is for a two-fold purpose:  modesty and to signify a new beginning/life.  In this case, although it looks like a tonia, it is not a vestment but a robe or covering.  In a sense, the deacon's tunic activates in the functional aspect relative to the blessing from the priest.  The blessing is a commissioning to vest and to carry on the Sacramental and Liturgical duties.  The issue of the adult baptism attire, is that we do not have someone that actually tailors that type of garment, so the priest will just grab one of the deacon's tonias or ask the catechumen to procure one for that purpose.  I guess it would be easier if something was button down the front or so on.

It used to be that all adults coming to church would be dressed in white and equivalent type garments to a "tonia".  This attire would be special.  The only people to retain this amazing tradition are the Ethiopians and Eritreans.  Coptics generally look like slobs when they go to church.

I do not know the pertinent aspects of this "function" that you mention.  How it was sanctioned or the imposition of attire relative to a bishop's command or instruction.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10942.msg132502#msg132502 date=1299626808]
    I don't make tonias for sale or profit.  I make them as an offering to God.  My diaconate is a presentation and return of sacrifice for the magnificent gift in Him allowing me to be ordained.  I have made vestments for myself, my brother, and one priest--no one else.  These vestments are a part of my being (at least for me).

so you made a tonya for yourself, your brother, and a priest... and you should make one for SuperMAN(B.A.M)?
  • If I made one for Superman, it would have an "S" on the front instead of a Cross, and then I would get branded as a heretic and be deposed.

I guess that is a trap for me to be thrown out of the Coptic Orthodox Church.  Never.  I will not fall for it.
  • you caught onto my evil scheme... I was going to have you do a cape too... but oh well it was worth a try!