Tonia Generator??

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Hello All! Is there a church that creates custom tonias and ships them? I really need a new tonia but my church only has children ones. Thanks!

Comments

• I make my own.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10942.msg132450#msg132450 date=1299619023]
    I make my own.

I am not as skilled as you ILSM  :-\
  • That creates an opportunity to learn.  It actually teaches a discipline, and it allows one to appreciate the vestments, and the fact that they are a gift from God (in so many respects).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • As I have said many times:  I don't exist.  I am an internet phenomenon.  I was created in a Microsoft Laboratory.
  • I think we should start a ILSM fanclub. Who's with me?
  • Amen
    How do you make your own tonia? Isn't there specifications and stuff?
    That is sooooooooooo cooooooooooool!
    Cyril
  • No one taught me.  I just did.  My mom doesn't even know how to sew.  I do the alterations in the family; hemming, etc. 

You can take a given article, examine it, emulate, learn, refine.  It's not hard at all.
  • Wait but seriously...is there such a website?
  • There used to be ... but I think it closed down.
  • We need to get it opened up!!
    Who's with me.
    "Give me Tonia Maker or give me death"  ;)
    GB, PFM,
    Cyril
  • Um, how about we just work on getting an ILSM fanclub going, then the silly tonia site? Deacon clothing isn't important.
  • Excuse me! Deacon clothing is very important especially when it is cool like homemade tonias.
    I got mine from my church.
    We have everythinh.
    GB, PFM,
    Cyril
  • Ok, it's a little bit important, but an ILSM fanclub will benefit both genders. It isn't sexist or racist. And since I thought of it, I'm the president of the club! ILSM can be the secretary or something.

I think someone with facebook should start this. I'll think about creating an account just to join. I love my great ideas :)
  • Quit the fanclub stuff.  Actually, Lent would be a good exercise time to make a new tonia for the Resurrection Feast.  It would occupy time and avoid, radio, tv, etc.
  • i want a tonia from the Monastery of El-Amir Tadrous in haret el-roum in Cairo....the best tonai in the world.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10942.msg132488#msg132488 date=1299623673]
    i want a tonia from the Monastery of El-Amir Tadrous in haret el-roum in Cairo....the best tonai in the world.

I know what your talking about. I went there and bought one actually. I've outgrown it though. But all their church supplies are extraordinary.

PK
  • It's a dangerous place to go to visit.  It is next to Al-Azhar.  The alleyways are quite small and some interesting characters hang out in those alleys.
  • Fr. Abraam Sleman of St. Mark (in Jersey City, NJ) has good connections with that monastery.  He did a lot of their engineering/planning relative to renovations and construction.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10942.msg132491#msg132491 date=1299624080]
    Fr. Abraam Sleman of St. Mark (in Jersey City, NJ) has good connections with that monastery.  He did a lot of their engineering/planning relative to renovations and construction.

OMG.....so that's why. all of his tonai and vestments are from there. i know Abouna well  ;D.

but i would never take advantage of that to get a tonia. maybe when i visit egypt.....
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10942.msg132490#msg132490 date=1299623953]
    It's a dangerous place to go to visit.  It is next to Al-Azhar.  The alleyways are quite small and some interesting characters hang out in those alleys.

Well that's every Christian place in Egypt now....more a reason to sell tonias in the US. ILSM, why don't you custom make tonias for everyone and sell them online?
  • I don't make tonias for sale or profit.  I make them as an offering to God.  My diaconate is a presentation and return of sacrifice for the magnificent gift in Him allowing me to be ordained.  I have made vestments for myself, my brother, and one priest--no one else.  These vestments are a part of my being (at least for me).
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10942.msg132490#msg132490 date=1299623953]
    It's a dangerous place to go to visit.  It is next to Al-Azhar.  The alleyways are quite small and some interesting characters hang out in those alleys.

Thoroughly beautiful though. Like a small enclave, an oasis in the middle of a empty desert.
  • I would agree with that description.
  • I have a tonia question: When exactly are they supposed to be worn (Liturgies, weddings, funerals...). I've seen them worn before on Vespers especially saints' feasts?

Also, about a month ago, the youth from all around here organized something to commemorate the 40th day memorial of the 'Martyrs of Alexandria' and they had a few deacons wear their tonias and chant some hymns at various times. I was kind of against this (the wearing the tonia part) but I didn't have enough knowledge to explain to them why (if there actually is something wrong with that). ILSM, I was actually thinking of contacting you to get some insight. lol
  • Any liturgical function pertaining to the Holy Sacraments; this is inclusive of vespers.
  • However, it does not include:  stupid skits or plays, joking around, etc.