Fasting Recipes

2»

Comments

• Is anyone here finding fasting a bit hard due to work committments?
  • I don't think it is meant to be easy. I am sure many of us are finding it hard. But what the Church asks of us, generally speaking, is quite clear.

When we struggle we should speak with our FOC. He will provide advice tailored to your situation.
  • I just noticed your question Joseph.

It was St Basil who said that a fast without love was the fast of demons.

Blessed are those who both engage in the fast with rigour and seriousness and seek always to gain spiritual benefit rather than the praise of others, or worse, the praise of self.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10934.msg132359#msg132359 date=1299584940]
    I personally love foule medames with oil, salt and tomatoes.

I don't think I can ever get bored of that.

There's also bamia (Ocra) - which is just marvellous.

Spoken like a true man of Shoubra. Only thing your missing is some "3esh Balady" (the bread that ISN'T "feno" from the "forn" around the corner).

That's all you need really.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10934.msg132415#msg132415 date=1299611215]
    Is anyone here finding fasting a bit hard due to work committments?

Fasting is hard in general...but I don't think due to work commitments.  I start fasting from 12am the previous night and I have work and school starting at about 7am, I don't get home until 5pm and I generally eat then or at 6pm.  Is it hard?  O yeah, definitely.  But talk to your FOC and he will be able to determine how much you should fast or when you should break your fast.  If you pray about it and ask God to help you, He will.  I generally have a problem with fasting, I've never been able to fast before.  But through the Grace of God, I have been able to do it.  Just ask Him for help.
  • Dinner tonight:  2 day old Chinese vegetable fried rice mixed with 8 day old ziti and vegetables; microwave 1.5 minutes; a glass of apple juice and a mini-cucumber.  This is what I call gourmet eating.

I don't think there were any vitamins left.  The vitamins were all killed off, but it hit the spot.  I will take a vitamin supplement before I go to sleep.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10934.msg132415#msg132415 date=1299611215]
    Is anyone here finding fasting a bit hard due to work committments?

I usually dont eat anything till 3pm, but the only trouble I meet is during lunch break.  At time of this social gathering, my colleagues for sure will notice that I'm not eating anything at all, and therefore, I'm trying to avoid those gatherings as much as possible, so people won't know I'm fasting. Mt 6:17-18. 
    I might even prefer to interrupt my fasting (@noon) and eat some small things (ie. bread and water) during lunch, in stead of announcing to everyone that I'm fasting. Sounds paradoxal I know.

Fr. Peter, what is your opinion about fasting during social gatherings??? Am I doing it all wrong??And would you easily tell that ur fasting or do u prefer to keep it private?
  • I think that there is a difference between announcing that we are fasting to direct attention to ourselves - which is what the Pharisees did - and just saying that we are not eating during lunch because it is a time of fasting in our Orthodox Church. This sometimes gives us an opportunity to speak about our Faith and need not direct attention to ourselves.

I would not break your fast just to cover up the fact that you are fasting. It is not normally a big deal just to let those who ask why we are not eating know that we are not eating for a spiritual reason. This is not the same as pridefully drawing attention to ourselves. We can even just say, I don't want to eat anything this lunchtime, and then just tell those who ask 'why?' that we are in the fast. Many people know that some Christians fast during Lent, they just probably have not met many. There is no need for it to be a secret, just as we would not need to hide the fact that we spent last night at a prayer service, or last Sunday at the Liturgy, or that we read the Bible.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10934.msg132610#msg132610 date=1299711309]
    I think that there is a difference between announcing that we are fasting to direct attention to ourselves - which is what the Pharisees did - and just saying that we are not eating during lunch because it is a time of fasting in our Orthodox Church. This sometimes gives us an opportunity to speak about our Faith and need not direct attention to ourselves.

I would not break your fast just to cover up the fact that you are fasting. It is not normally a big deal just to let those who ask why we are not eating know that we are not eating for a spiritual reason. This is not the same as pridefully drawing attention to ourselves. We can even just say, I don't want to eat anything this lunchtime, and then just tell those who ask 'why?' that we are in the fast. Many people know that some Christians fast during Lent, they just probably have not met many. There is no need for it to be a secret, just as we would not need to hide the fact that we spent last night at a prayer service, or last Sunday at the Liturgy, or that we read the Bible.

Father Peter

Thanks father, you are right.
    I do agree, but still find it difficult to put into practice.
    Please pray for me so I will find the correct way to deal with this.
  • You know, I just had a thought. I realized that fasting food makes you feel "lighter"... doesn't it?
    When you eat buttery foods, you feel "full" - but fasting food itself is high in carbs and low in fats, so in essence, you should have more energy than less? No?

• I don't think fava beans make you feel light.
  • My mom and I were talking about this the other day. We noticed that during fasting, its easy to go without breakfast, and you function fine. but for some reason, if we try to skip breakfast during non-fasting times--its like impossible!!! I get SOO hungry. I think God gives you grace during times of fasting if you try.
  • btw guyss. I HAAATTTEE fool w ta3mya (beans and falafel).
    I just got back from uni, and I don't know what I can eat here!
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10934.msg132674#msg132674 date=1299775916]
    I don't think fava beans make you feel light.

If you're G6PD deficient you certainly won't.
  • I have another question, probably one that needs to be asked lol...
    If one wants to fast until 3pm daily or 12pm - whatever your confession father discusses with you... Do you still fast until that time, even if you wake up at 12pm or 3pm? You can't say this isn't practical for anyone to wake up this late.. but I do at times such as today I woke up only 30 minutes ago (it is now about 2:30pm). But this is because my university timetable is pretty retarded and hectic.. I don't have anything too important until 6pm.. so I slept at 6am this morning..
    So how does the fasting work in this situation?
    What if someone goes to an early liturgy that finishes at 10 or 11am? like on Sundays. Does the Holy Communion break our fasting for us or do we still continue to fast until 12 or 3pm? I know on Sundays no one does this because there's food after church... but what about weekdays? I remember having a discussion with a friend about this and it'd be good to get an answer  :P

GB
  • Mikhail, I'll leave it to others to answer your main question but as for Saturday and Sunday, there is no strict abstinence until 3 or 6 PM, that's only during the week.
  • how do people go without water for a long time (eg till 3pm or whenever)? i find it really hard, and can't usually do it when i'm working as i tend to get really faint. my work (like a lot of people's) is physically and mentally very demanding, so it's not possible to be at work and be faint.
    on Good Friday, i can do it, coz if i pass out in church, i know someone will wake me before the end of the service. does anyone else have this problem?
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10934.msg133986#msg133986 date=1301003185]
    how do people go without water for a long time (eg till 3pm or whenever)? i find it really hard, and can't usually do it when i'm working as i tend to get really faint. my work (like a lot of people's) is physically and mentally very demanding, so it's not possible to be at work and be faint.
    on Good Friday, i can do it, coz if i pass out in church, i know someone will wake me before the end of the service. does anyone else have this problem?

Its practise. last year I couldn't get to 10am without eating something, but as lent progressed, and there were those days where you had liturgy till 6pm, I somehow made it?
  • Fr.

You mentioned earlier that if we eat breakfast, we are not fasting. Does that mean we're not allowed to eat in the morning? I'm not quite sure. I'm a little confused.

Thanks

God Bless.
  • [quote author=fanp94 link=topic=10934.msg136258#msg136258 date=1303184271]
    Fr.

You mentioned earlier that if we eat breakfast, we are not fasting. Does that mean we're not allowed to eat in the morning? I'm not quite sure. I'm a little confused.

Thanks

God Bless.

Dear fanp94,

Although your question comes at bad timing (only a few days left!) it is never too late I guess. You addressed your question to Fr. Peter but my hands compel me to type a response. One of the things fasting consists of is abstaining from food. So everyone should, under the guidance of his/her FoC abstain from food until a certain time. Usually that means not eating breakfast - which means not eating in the morning. One should feel hunger and remember the weakness of the flesh and focus on the nourishment of the spirit.