• St.Abanoub he is my favorite. :D
  • btw when u sed in the first comment it says veronica
    the catholics believe that veronica wiped the faceof Christ and it appeared
    veroica is not a true person
    even the meanin in latin of veronica means true icon
    which they say the towel is the true icon of Christ
    so she is  not a real saint
  • Kyrollos -- My Patron Saint and my fav saint :D

Karas -- Anba Karas the hermit was a great saint, humble and devils feared him!
  • just an interesting thing about Anba Karas, at the moment of his death, Jesus appeared to him and some events happened and then Jesus said that whoever calls for the intercession of Anba Karas will be blessed, and whoever writes his life story and stuff like that will be blessed. He is an amazing saint that Jesus admired and called him my beloved Karas. read his story, it's amazing, especially what happens when Jesus appears to him right before he dies with Anba Pemwa there recording everything.
  • Greek names are really cool.. Demetrius, Vassilios, Athanasious, Theodossios, Theophilos, Helena, Maria, Panagia, Parthenia, Stavros, Ioannis, Petros, Pavlos, Georgios, Antonious, Macarious...

Italian names are really nice also: Mateo, Pietro, Paulo, Cristiano, Stefano, Angelo, Marco, Antonio,

You have a lot of choice..

• Mary/Mariam, Andrwes, Phelopateer or Markorius, Mikhail, Erene, Kyrollos, Marina, Demiana, Bishoy, Abanoub, Moses/Moosa, George/Gerges, Mark, Shenouda, Mina, Thomas, Anna-Simone, Joseph, Yostos, Abraam, Boulos/Paul, Theodorus/Tadros, Ibrahim, Samuel, Ilaria, Athanasious, Lucia, Mohreal, Simon/Samaan, Kirakos, Steven, Sofia...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Can I ask, as an English man, do Copts in Egypt tend to give Coptic or Arabic versions of names for their children.

I mean if someone wanted to name their son after St George, which version of his name would usually be given?

Father Peter
  • It differs. Some would call him George, others Girgis (the arabic version) but this might be more for the older generation or people from traditional families. Most people nowadays would probably go for George.
  • Thats true it depends on the family, some names are kept in coptic because the original name was never "translated" if you will. Such as pishoy, or Kyrillos. So it depends on the name and the prefrence.
  • Jibrahim and Hos Erof,
    [coptic]Nem ounis] `ntaio Gergec an pe `nouran `nAraboc@ `n;of ourem`n<ymi pe. Gewrgios pe oumetercaji efwyou et]tot `nnihwc `nrem`n<ymi, alla qen nijincaji `mmyni `mmyni vai `fswpi Gerges (Vilo;eoc kata Vel;ec - Iwannyc kata Iwnec).[/coptic]
    With all due respect Gerges is not Arabic for George; it is still Coptic. Gewargios is a long pronunciation that serves the Coptic hymns, but in everyday conversations it is transformed into Gerges (as Philoteos has into Phaltas - Ioannes has into Yohnes).
    [coptic]qen oume;myi `mmon oun oujineraraboc e;be niran `nrem`n<ymi - anon `ntenercaji `n]rem`n<ymi qen ousoft ]nou icjen `pjinerhytc `n]lac `nGregobohyri hina ]metercaji `mmyi autwmtf.[/coptic]
    In fact there is no Arabicisation for Coptic names as such - we just pronounce Coptic wrongly nowadays since the introduction of Greco-Bohairic that even the correct pronunciation is confused (as Shenooti which should be Shenouda - Pavlos which should be Bowlos (or for short Bolos (Boles being a variant due to absence of vowels in Egyptian language before Coptic)), and Vassilios which should be Wasilios, or Basilios)
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • [coptic]qen ououw e;be paiwt Petroc `mmon - oumys `nhi ]nou mou] enoualwou`i qen ourem`mBritanni`a qen ]helpyc je tounaswpi cabol qen ni,wra `nsemmo[/coptic]
    In reply to Father Peter no - many of the families now name their children in English on the hope that they will live outside in foreign countries
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • how about eggnog?
  • for boys: john
    for girls: mary; monica; maria; veronica :)
  • I have a new one to add.
    Tekla- the saint of Ethiopia depicticed with 6 wings
  • Girls: Arapsima, rebecca, helena, madonna, omnea, barbara, anastasia, muhrail, mariam, irini, christina, demiana, theodora, elizabeth
    Boys: badaba, michael, aresinus, benjamin, immanuel, karas, george, tadros, maximus, maurice, moses, isaac, elia, cyril, pavli, kyriakos, stefanos, yostos, anthony, dimitrios, boles, malak, samson etc
  • eluzai - hebrew for "God is my strength" used this one as my stage name as a musician
    Hippolytus - after St. Hippolytus of Rome who was actually Coptic, and criticized the "Popes" of the day for their errors. Wrote extensively and has probably some of the most influencial writings on just about everything, including the antiChrist.
    Stephanos - after steven the deacon
    Sabea - after the queen of Sabea (sheba) also known in Ethiopia, where she is from, as Makeda
    Hermina - probably one of the greatest, yet unknown, saints in Coptic history. A great ascetic who went toe to toe with satan, and was taught by a mysterious monk who turned out to be St. John the Apostle.
    Xenia - a Russian saint but a saint none the less. She was married to a soldier who died in battle. Stricken with grief she renounced everything and wandered the streets of St. Petersberg for years, many described her as insane, but the true Orthodox knew it was foolishness for Christ.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=7440.msg131582#msg131582 date=1298644753]
    eluzai - hebrew for "God is my strength" used this one as my stage name as a musician
    Hippolytus - after St. Hippolytus of Rome who was actually Coptic, and criticized the "Popes" of the day for their errors. Wrote extensively and has probably some of the most influencial writings on just about everything, including the antiChrist.
    Stephanos - after steven the deacon
    Sabea - after the queen of Sabea (sheba) also known in Ethiopia, where she is from, as Makeda
    Hermina - probably one of the greatest, yet unknown, saints in Coptic history. A great ascetic who went toe to toe with satan, and was taught by a mysterious monk who turned out to be St. John the Apostle.
    Xenia - a Russian saint but a saint none the less. She was married to a soldier who died in battle. Stricken with grief she renounced everything and wandered the streets of St. Petersberg for years, many described her as insane, but the true Orthodox knew it was foolishness for Christ.

Nice names & interesting story´s!
  • Adding to the list I had before:

Theodore (boy)
    Theodora (girl)

Both mean God's gift.
  • fr girl : Karma - I like this so much :) it is arabic word mean (Vine)
  • [quote author=crosslover link=topic=7440.msg131603#msg131603 date=1298662379]
    fr girl : Karma - I like this so much :) it is arabic word mean (Vine)

It also has  a pagan meaning and will most likely be misunderstood by every single person.
  • How is it pagan meaning ? :)

- But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom. [Matt.26:19]
    - Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
    [Mark 14:25]
    - For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.[Luke 22:18]
    - I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. [John 15:1]
    - Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. [John 15:4]
    - I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. [John15:5]

why do u think it is pagan one ? :)
  • I love the super coptic names. Ones that shout I'm COPTIC!!

boys: Athanasious, Dioscorus, sergious, epiphanious, philopateer, armanious, arsanious
    girls: Evronia, Mahraeel, epiphania, philomina, Avrusini, Anaise
  • [quote author=crosslover link=topic=7440.msg131620#msg131620 date=1298672687]
    How is it pagan meaning ? :)

- But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom. [Matt.26:19]
    - Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
    [Mark 14:25]
    - For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.[Luke 22:18]
    - I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. [John 15:1]
    - Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. [John 15:4]
    - I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. [John15:5]

why do u think it is pagan one ? :)

Because everyone knows what the word Karma means in the pagan sense. Karma is a pagan doctrine. In Indian religions is the concept of "action" or "deed", understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra) originating in ancient India and treated in Hindu, Jain, Buddhist and Sikh philosophies. Nobody, except maybe those that know arabic, would have a clue that Karma means vine.
  • crosslover, I hope you understand I was not trying to attack you or anything. It is a wonderful name in the Christian context, its just that unfortunately that is not what people would think of when they hear the name. Then again it could be good because people would always ask if thats what it means, in the pagan context, to where she could then explain what it means in the Orthodox sense thereby exposing them to Orthodoxy.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=7440.msg131658#msg131658 date=1298743985]
    crosslover, I hope you understand I was not trying to attack you or anything. It is a wonderful name in the Christian context, its just that unfortunately that is not what people would think of when they hear the name. Then again it could be good because people would always ask if thats what it means, in the pagan context, to where she could then explain what it means in the Orthodox sense thereby exposing them to Orthodoxy.

Crosslover, no need to take offense. Ioannes is right. While it has a meaning in Arabic, in the USA it's widely known as the Hindu belief of "What goes around comes around." But then again, naming your child is your own choice. We're just saying reality.

[quote author=the_least link=topic=7440.msg103957#msg103957 date=1244520171]
    just an interesting thing about Anba Karas, at the moment of his death, Jesus appeared to him and some events happened and then Jesus said that whoever calls for the intercession of Anba Karas will be blessed, and whoever writes his life story and stuff like that will be blessed. He is an amazing saint that Jesus admired and called him my beloved Karas. read his story, it's amazing, especially what happens when Jesus appears to him right before he dies with Anba Pemwa there recording everything.

Very interesting! I will look up his story. You made me consider naming my child that now! But there are plenty of other wonderful saints too. I love the story of Anba Arsanious personally, he was the son of the Emperor and forsook all his wealthy and luxury to live an austere life in the desert, If you all have time, his story is most definitely worth reading also!