If I feel guilty for something, should I not take communion before I confess?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hello,

I think the question is pretty straightforward.

PPFM

Thanks.

Comments

• if, eg. u shouted at someone on the way to church, u can apologise to them during the prayer of reconciliation (that is why we have it). if u had a disagreement with someone who is not in church, u can promise God to sort it out after church. these sorts of things should not stop u taking Holy Communion, as we repent of our sins during the service.

if, however, u keep falling into some sort of sin, eg. stealing from college or getting drunk, or being physically intimate outside of marriage, and especially if your priest does not know about it (in other words, has not given you advice about when to take Holy Communion), then you should wait for confession first.

it depends on lots of things, these are just examples, and only your priest can really answer that question.
    so you need to ask him.
    may God have mercy on us all, as we are sinners.
  • What about if, lets say, someone is mad at me like on wednesday, and I talked to them but they won't forgive me until I prove something to them?

You know?

Like Someone lost respect for another person or trust or dependability and they won't let you go free unless you prove that they are wrong?

In this case, would I repent and take communion, or what do I do?

These are general questions, but its really important for me to understand them.

PPFM
    CopticStrength
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10756.msg131113#msg131113 date=1298112246]
    these sorts of things should not stop u taking Holy Communion

I agree with mabsoota, in general you should try not to skip communion, so sort things out before or during church if possible.
    If you still feel guilty or not able to correct your mistakes on time, my personal opinion would be that not taking part in communion can never be in your benefit. (Maybe someone can state the correct tchurch teachings about this subject?)
    Ofcourse one should always keep in mind the value of the Holy communion and only participate when he is prepared for it, but I would never decide not to take communion without discussung it with my FOC.

Regarding your situation:
    [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10756.msg131113#msg131113 date=1298112246]
    it depends on lots of things... and only your priest can really answer that question.
  • communion is a must in everyone's life, if someone is upset with you and you tried to fix things but they did not except it... you have done your part you are not held by them anymore.

now you should usually confess every three weeks to a month (on average) so if between something happens, you can take abouna to the side and ask him for absolution.

but in the situation you mentioned, you are absolved by your actions... remember repentance is not only feeling sorry, but it is an action also... and by you trying to speak to the person, you have done your part!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka
  • we must examine ourselves first and foremost, and when we know that we are unworthy and that we do not deserve the Great Blessing and Eternal life given to us then we must approach The Holy One for Him to make us holy!
  • [quote author=Marenhos Epchois link=topic=10756.msg131149#msg131149 date=1298137439]
    we must examine ourselves first and foremost, and when we know that we are unworthy and that we do not deserve the Great Blessing and Eternal life given to us then we must approach The Holy One for Him to make us holy!

Well said :)
  • "WE ASK daily for bread, for fear that being deprived of it, and by not receiving it in
    Holy Communion, we should be deprived of the mystical Body of Christ.
      He who abstains from receiving Holy Communion, and separates himself from the
    body of the Lord, has much reason to fear, for he withdraws himself, at the same
    time, from eternal salvation; for does not Christ say, "Unless you eat of the Son of
    man you shall not have life in you?""

ST. CYPRIAN
    On the Lord's Prayer