Egoism: related to the story of queen isabela (help appreciated before saturday)

edited February 2011 in Youth Corner
Hi all,

Next saturday (19/02) we have to prepare workshops for high-school teenagers. The theme is "Royalty", where we will discuss several story's about the kings and queens in the old testament. This workshop will take about 30 min Another servant and me, have to prepare the story of queen isabella in the old testament, which we will discuss the topic "egoism'.

I need strongly idea's about how to transfer this topic in a good, nice, not boring way to teenagers from about 12 - 16 years?
Some points we can discuss: - What is egoism?
                                        - How not to be selfish to my brother, sister, etc
                                        - Why is it important not to be selfish, and what will I benefit?

And I can´t find the story of queen isabella in the bible, i know its in 1 kings, but not exactly where i can find her story?

Please, could you help me?

Any funny, creative, useful, nice ideas are welcome!

Gb

Comments

• I didn't know there was an Isabella in the Bible.  Maybe you have it confused with Columbus in the voyage of 1492.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10752.msg130989#msg130989 date=1297973111]
    I didn't know there was an Isabella in the Bible.  Maybe you have it confused with Columbus in the voyage of 1492.

haha, lol.
  • I think you mean "Queen Jezebel" the wicked wife of Ahab the king during the time of Elijah and the rest of that story....
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10752.msg130994#msg130994 date=1297975838]
    I think you mean "Queen Jezebel" the wicked wife of Ahab the king during the time of Elijah and the rest of that story....

ooh yeah that's who i meant, I am sorry.

• [quote author=+marmar+ link=topic=10752.msg131005#msg131005 date=1297982061]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10752.msg130994#msg130994 date=1297975838]
    I think you mean "Queen Jezebel" the wicked wife of Ahab the king during the time of Elijah and the rest of that story....

ooh yeah that's who i meant, I am sorry.

The arabic translates her name Isabella, doesn't it?
  • [quote author=epiphania link=topic=10752.msg131021#msg131021 date=1297992622]
    The arabic translates her name Isabella, doesn't it?

إِيزَابَلَ
    yeah.
  • okay, does anyone now have ideas? (its tomorrow)..

If u don't have ideas about Jezebel, then have u got ideas about egoism?
    How do u tell that to teenagers from 12-16 years?

anyone?
  • And I must  tell the story of Queen Jezebel. But the story isn't all about Jezebel, but the heart of the story is about king Ahab who desired to have the vineyard of Naboth which was nect ahab's palace. Jezebels did this, when she saw her husband didn't want to eat and told her that Nabot refuses to give him the vineyard: "You now exercise authority over Israel! Arise, eat food, and let your heart be cheerful; I will give you the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite." 8 And she wrote letters in Ahab's name, sealed them with his seal, and sent the letters to the elders and the nobles who were dwelling in the city with Naboth.  She wrote in the letters, saying, Proclaim a fast, and seat Naboth with high honor among the people;  and seat two men, scoundrels, before him to bear witness against him, saying, "You have blasphemed God and the king." Then take him out, and stone him, that he may die.

So the sin is that she helped Ahab to steal the vineyard by letting Naboth get killed.
    What more can I tell? How can I clarify, without necessary saying the word "selfish" (to let them find out by themself what she did wrong) that she was selfish?

???

How can I transfer the story to them in 10 min in a nice and clear way? What should I tell them more?

Further, another servant is going to do the game 'hints' with them. They have to represent someone of the story (bedoen kalam/without talking). Also we are going to play a egoism-game, which contains that the kids have to make groups, (eg groups of 4, or 5) and they are with more than the number of kids, so they have to pushing of 1 of them. Then we are going to let them know by telling it by themself, that this is egoism.

Anyway, any ideas about how to tell the story??

Thanks in advance
  • Hey marmar :-)

I have a good idea. How about you call up the people you're giving the lesson with (I'm assuming you're not the only teacher because you said "WE have to prepare") and decide with them. It'll be easier to plan it with them, instead of us, since you're all giving the lesson together. That way if one of you disagrees with an idea, you can easily make changes and compromise before class. I think you should break up the work evenly and discuss the story together.

If all of you get stuck on a part of the story, then you can post your specific questions here and we'll try our best to help! But since it's really short notice, I think it would be best to contact other servants by phone or email with your questions.

I think the main idea of being in service is deciding how you're going to give the lesson yourself. No offense, but if people are always going to tell you what to say and how to say it, then how will you ever learn and become a better teacher? I think it would be best if the work was done independently, then had someone older (like a parent or older servant) check it before giving the lesson.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10752.msg131062#msg131062 date=1298048297]
    Hey marmar :-)

I have a good idea. How about you call up the people you're giving the lesson with (I'm assuming you're not the only teacher because you said "WE have to prepare") and decide with them. It'll be easier to plan it with them, instead of us, since you're all giving the lesson together. That way if one of you disagrees with an idea, you can easily make changes and compromise before class. I think you should break up the work evenly and discuss the story together.

If all of you get stuck on a part of the story, then you can post your specific questions here and we'll try our best to help! But since it's really short notice, I think it would be best to contact other servants by phone or email with your questions.

I think the main idea of being in service is deciding how you're going to give the lesson yourself. No offense, but if people are always going to tell you what to say and how to say it, then how will you ever learn and become a better teacher? I think it would be best if the work was done independently, then had someone older (like a parent or older servant) check it before giving the lesson.

Yeah, I already talked to her, but we didn't get more far..
    And to be honest..i rarely read the old testament, I just find the new testament more beneficial for my life, and the Old testament is pretty extensive and not really pleasant to read, i know i should read it more, but yeah, that's one of the reasons i asked for help.
    Also, this is the first time I will work with teenagers, I am used to give lesson to 6,7 year old kids, and that's much different than this age.

I am still working on elaborating the story and trying to put the most important things in it (like her origin, parents: her father was a priest who worshipped Baal and other "gods' and he was a king of Israel?. and that she was selfish and stuff..)

Well, I will try to continue the rest now on my own, don't worry

prayers are appreciated, thx