The Muslim Brotherhood and Coptic Christians

1235»

Comments

• [quote author=Stavro link=topic=10626.msg130679#msg130679 date=1297738282]
    It seems that the military committee, after consultation with the kids who were in Tahrir square, has taken active steps to write a new constitution for Egypt. News about the constitutional committee members confirm the appointment of Tarek EL-Ashry, who is known for his clear radical islamic convictions and his insistence on an islamic state. The committee also includes Sobhy Saleh, a former Parliment member who is also a prominent member of the Islamic Brotherhood.

I anticipate to appoint a Judas to this committee to make it look "balanced".

oh no...If we get stuck with sharia, it'll be like hell in egypt for christians...
    where r u reading from?
  • [quote author=Stavro link=topic=10626.msg130679#msg130679 date=1297738282]
    It seems that the military committee, after consultation with the kids who were in Tahrir square, has taken active steps to write a new constitution for Egypt. News about the constitutional committee members confirm the appointment of Tarek EL-Ashry, who is known for his clear radical islamic convictions and his insistence on an islamic state. The committee also includes Sobhy Saleh, a former Parliment member who is also a prominent member of the Islamic Brotherhood.

I anticipate to appoint a Judas to this committee to make it look "balanced".

Stavro,

Everyone in this forum has their finger on the pulse with respect to what's going on in Egypt. Your post deeply worried me. This wasn't the view I was getting. I'm not saying its not true.. it may very well be the case. But this is worrying.

Where are you getting this information from?

Are there any opinion polls on where Egypt is heading? I used to work in Egypt a few years ago, and most of my colleagues there were part of the Muslim Brotherhood. So, I can believe that they want this.

its extremely difficult to reconcile democracy, freedom of speech, equality and human rights WITH a Legal System based on Sharia law , or even Islamic Law. Its literally an oxymoron.

Islam and democracy don't mix. I think we could be heading for another Iran.. and the worst part is, the Iranians revolted in 1979 to remove the Shah of Iran and the people, by their own will, they then voted in a national referendum to make Iran into an Islamic State.

This was also on the 11th of February, 1979.

Today, the Iranians regret this decision. I hope Egyptians can learn from them. Today, Iranians are protesting and its literally impossible to overthrow a government that is inter-twined with a legal system run by Imams. You CANNOT!

We will be totally ruined if this happens.

I hope Egyptians are not stupid and decide to make Egypt into an Islamic State.

Please check your sources Stavro.

Thanks
  • I just heard some news that naguib ghobraial, a Coptic businessman, has publicly opposed the man appointed to head the constitution changes.
  • This is one of the links from El-Wafd magazine. El-Wafd is the magazine of El-Wafd political party. It is in arabic, unfortunately. 

http://www.alwafd.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16583

It just details what epiphania summarized above. tarek EL-beshry is the man heading the committee, by the way.

The liberal website Elaph has reported the same news. Their site is down now.

El-youm el sabe3, EL masry el youm and other independent magazine have reported the same. It is official.

In any case, I did not know that Tarek El-Beshry holds an office in the brotherhood legal group as their top advisor. I just thought that he is a fanatic islamist by his radical views documented in his books and writings. His most recent attack against the Coptic Orthodox Church came in the wake of the court ruling that aimed at forcing the Church to re-marry divorced couples. He insisted that the Church is subject to the court ruling as part of the nations government institutions.

And this person is going to write the constitution which regulates such relations.

If we concede the fact that by egyptian standards, Tarek El-Beshry has some law credentials that might justify his presence on this committee, although he is totally eclipsed by others not selected in this committee (Dr. Yehia El-Gamal) in terms of competence, we cannot understand the appointment of a lawyer from the islamic brotherhood to the same committee. He is just a lawyer in Divorce / marriage courts without any constitutional experience. His only credentials is his alliance with the brotherhood.

The decision was taken by the military committee based on discussions with the Tahrir kids.

Lesson:

Always listen to the big boys who lived in these parts of the world. Never apply western standards on our part of the world. And listen to CNN.
  • Correction to my last post, last sentence:

Never ever listen to western media outlets, including CNN.

Another source from Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/15/egypt-committee-idUSLDE71E1F320110215

Within the article, it mentions the confirmation of the appointment of Tarek EL-Beshry as the head of the constitution committee by Tantawy, the head of Egypt's military committee.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10626.msg130148#msg130148 date=1297207495]

BTW:  Which Bp Macarious do you mean?  The Eritrean?

Sorry brother. Did not take notice of your request until now.

I referred to Bishop Macarious, the general bishop of El-Menia. A great man since his days as Abona Kyrillos in Baramous monastery.
  • I learned this in arithmetic:

Dissolution of Parliament + {suspension of Constitution} = Martial Law

Martial Law + [Public dissent] =  Brotherhood takeover.
  • Many got alarmed from this for obvious reasons, we need though to consider these points:
    - this is a temporary committee composed of many members, whose immediate responsibility is to make limited changes to the current constitution concerning the laws regulating future presidential elections and the scope of presidential authority and responsibility;
    - the majority of the people of Egypt (~80%) demand to stick to real liberal changes;
    - the MB, as an existent group having many wings, will need to publicly modify their known rigid policy: to be capable of adapting to the current widely sought political reforms, to comply to these changes in order to gain the trust of the people, and to be able to sustain a productive positive political involvement;
    - the Armed Forces High Council is still in charge of the country and actively monitors any drift from the will of the people;
    - every body must and will be entitled a representation after the transitional period. The people have much changed, they have assimilated their responsibilities and will never forget their political gains or allow an easy loss of their natural rights anymore.

GBU
  • I've read there are planned meetings by MB related extremist groups in Mansoura governorate to stir divisions against Christians, they want to ensure that Egypt is officially an 100% Islamic state.

It seems thoughts about the committee being biased are well founded. I've also read yesterday there are letters sent to express objections against some members of this committee.

We need to raise a lot of prayers and ask the Lord to abolish all evil plans that aim to divide the solidarity between the Egyptian people.

GBU
  • There has been no solidarity between egyptian people for 60 years now. Persecution of minority was carried by the majority, in the streets, in school, in commercial dealings, in universities, not necessarily by the government. The government found a ripe fruit of fanaticism in the whole nation and took advantage of it, but the ground was ready for these seeds.

There was no solidarity between both factions in the past islamic uprising of January 25th. At most:

a) A minority girl was pouring water for a majority man to perform his "wuduu" before prayers (amazing solidarity, although the sanity of such girl should be checked)

b) A majority youth playing the guitar and a minority girl dancing on his tunes (great solidarity ya3ni reflected in belly dancing)

c) A minority man holding the sign of his faith besides a sheikh holding the Quran and both posing for photos by CNN so the kids in the West (naive as they are) get their daily dose of "peaceful" brotherhood with the song "Hand in Hand" in the background playing.

• Yusuf El-Karadawy, the prominent sheikh of EL-Jazeera, living in Qatar, and the brotherhood leader, is going to lead the Friday prayer tomorrow in Tahrir square among the revolutionists, as reported by AL-Jazeera. 

As a show of solidarity, because we so much love a group hug, Copts should participate in this prayer as well.  8)

Egypt has changed. Even Karadawy, a terrorist who has been denied admission to many western countries, had a change of heart. It is like magic. 70 years of his life, like all other egyptians, have been undone and he is now very moderate all of a sudden. Just like that .....  ;)

• Stavro,

I like your analysis.
  • The union of writers has established a committee to represent her views on the revolution, made up of 73 members. The members were elected "freely". The majority of the members are associated with the brotherhood or more fanatical groups as reported by Sherouk newspaper.

It is the outcome of any free elections in Egypt.

• All pictures of Ex-President Mubarak were taken down from public offices and places, and replaced in many places by the islamic shehada, if you guys know what it means.

• El-Dostor newspaper reported the names of one of the committees formed to represent the revolution in negotiating with the government. It contains 18 members, 14 of them of the brotherhood. It includes one christian lady, who is a "2 in 1" kind of deal, a woman and a copt.
  • Stavro,

I guess my little remembrance of arithmetic is playing out correctly.
  • Is there anything we can do from here to help? Get organized? Do anything at all?
  • Fasting and Prayer.  Lent is coming.

Whatever Fr. Peter has outlined previously in his posts concerning civil responsibility in the Christian Orthodox perspective.

Donate towards the victims.