Censing the Oblation

So I was watching this video and saw that the priest entered the church while censing the oblation. Is this an African custom or is this a traditional Coptic custom? I have never seen this before:

Comments

• [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=10743.msg130839#msg130839 date=1297896092]
    So I was watching this video and saw that the priest entered the church while censing the oblation. Is this an African custom or is this a traditional Coptic custom? I have never seen this before:

I've never seen anything like this before.

Why would it make any sense to offer incense before the offerings anyway? The Lamb has not yet been chosen.
  • we do this at my church on the feasts of the resurrection and the nativity. This is how we start the mass, the deacons come in to the tune of Eporo and the priest at the end while incensing to the oblation. Is this not done at other churches?
  • [quote author=Pi Onkh link=topic=10743.msg130847#msg130847 date=1297898336]
    we do this at my church on the feasts of the resurrection and the nativity. This is how we start the mass, the deacons come in to the tune of Eporo and the priest at the end while incensing to the oblation. Is this not done at other churches?

this is not done in my church.
  • [quote author=Pi Onkh link=topic=10743.msg130847#msg130847 date=1297898336]
    we do this at my church on the feasts of the resurrection and the nativity. This is how we start the mass, the deacons come in to the tune of Eporo and the priest at the end while incensing to the oblation. Is this not done at other churches?

On feast days in my church, we enter with a procession while singing epouro and the priests are holding the oblation basket and the cruets. thats it. no one is censing anything. which church do you go to?
  • That's from the Byzantine rite. It's called the Great Entrance.
  • Just a side note, Abouna Abraham in the video is not African but Egyptian American. He was trained by a Coptic Priest after his ordination. And to be honest there isn't really much of an "African tradition". They follow our exact liturgy, with the hymns in Swahili, Luo, Lua depending on where you are, but all the priests, African or not are either trained normally in Egypt or in the Monastery in Maseno, Kenya.

Oh, how I miss it.
  • [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=10743.msg130868#msg130868 date=1297900933]
    That's from the Byzantine rite. It's called the Great Entrance.

So why does it seem like this is the only church that does this? The Pope does not even do this in his liturgies
  • I thought everybody does it this way...? I will try find out why we do it this way. We also do it on Palm Sunday.
  • [quote author=Pi Onkh link=topic=10743.msg130889#msg130889 date=1297909815]
    I thought everybody does it this way...? I will try find out why we do it this way. We also do it on Palm Sunday.

the procession of the Lamb is not as emphasized as much in our Church....even though the hymn of blessing, Ten-o-osht is considered the hymn of the "procession of the Lamb"
  • It is incorrect to raise incense with the Procession of the Lamb.

There is no indication for any such tradition, even in Jerusalem.

It is not mentioned in the Book of the Traditions and Rites.

It is not mentioned in the descriptions in the Liturgy Book of the Monastery of the Moharraq.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10743.msg130927#msg130927 date=1297954566]
    It is incorrect to raise incense with the Procession of the Lamb.

It is not mentioned in the descriptions in the Liturgy Book of the Monastery of the Moharraq.

hehe.....i like.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10743.msg130927#msg130927 date=1297954566]
    It is incorrect to raise incense with the Procession of the Lamb.

But why do some churches do this?
  • copticuser20,

You are asking a dangerous question.  You may not like the answer.
  • I have 2 guesses:
        Guess 1:
    What does incense represent?
    A: Our prayers
    Don't we asky abouna to remember us(or someone else) on the
    offering, as a kind of prayer?
    A: Yes
    This could be a way of symbolizing our prayers on the oblations.
        Guess 2:
    Just so the oblation will taste good ;)
    I don't really like this but I am just guessing. I like the last guess.
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10743.msg130995#msg130995 date=1297975963]
    I have 2 guesses:
        Guess 1:
    What does incense represent?
    A: Our prayers
    Don't we asky abouna to remember us(or someone else) on the
    offering, as a kind of prayer?
    A: Yes
    This could be a way of symbolizing our prayers on the oblations.
        Guess 2:
    Just so the oblation will taste good ;)
    I don't really like this but I am just guessing. I like the last guess.
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril

i doubt it's guess 2 :D  :D. guess 1 sounds logical but that goes back to the question: why don't most churches do it if that is the case?