The Very Rev. Fr. Bishoy Demetrious

edited December 1969 in Prayer Requests
Our Dear Fr. Bishoy, Hegumenos, and Pastor of St. Mary Coptic Orthodox Church in East Brunswick, NJ has reposed and has gone to the sweet rest in the bosom of the Patriarchs:  Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  The Lord, Our Master, and Savior Jesus Christ, grant him a hallowed sleep by the still waters in Paradise.

...Deepest condolences to his wife and family, Fr. Michael, Fr. Mark, Fr. Kyrillos, and the People of God at the Parish of St. Mary, and to every one that has tasted of his fatherhood and priesthood.

We are fortunate for his prayers before Almighty God for all of our sakes.

I miss you Abouna.  Thank you for always making me feel special as a good father with every sincere expression of love and emotion.

Comments

• The Lord repose his soul in the paradise of joy, out of which mourning, grief and sorrow have fled. May God console his family and parish. Paradise is for sure rejoicing. May God make us worthy to one day enter into His promises.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • may God, who sends the comforter, comfort you all in this time.
    may you be inspired by the life of this dear priest to also live your lives as though you have something to die for.
    rabina ma'akum kull
  • Do you have a picture of him? because I might know him! I know there is abona besohy in St. Mark's church in NJ but i am not sure if it is the same one you are talking about or not!
  • There are two St. Mark named parishes in New Jersey:  Jersey City and at Cedar Grove.  None of the priests there have the name Fr. Bishoy.

Fr. Bishoy is the first Coptic Priest ordained on United States soil.  Fr. Gabriel Abdelsayed, of blessed memory, is the First Priest ordained for service in the United States.  Fr. Bishoy was an installed service deacon at St. Mark in Jersey City in the mid-1970's.  He served under Fr. Gabriel for that time period.

If you want pictures of Fr. Bishoy, you may go to his parishes website:  www.saint-mary.net
  • I knew him and i miss him very much. I pray for Sonia Mia, and Monica. God Bless You.
  • I had the pleasure of attending the funeral service today, and HH Pope Shenouda attended and gave a heart warming Eulogy, during which he shed tears for the Beloved Father Abouna Bishoy. A video of the eulogy is available on saint-mary.net In this eulogy we see both HH's great love for his children, and we see how great of a servant Abouna Bishoy was to deserve this love. May God repose his soul
    Pray for me
  • [quote author=guy link=topic=7629.msg121783#msg121783 date=1288936881]
    Does anyone what kind of disease he had. When he became sick? When he had operations. I know that truly abouna Pishoy is a great man of God who was full of wisdom. He brought up his church as a fruitful vine among all churches of North America. God repose his soul in the bosom of our holy fathers: Abraham, Issac, And Jacob.

He had kidney problems. He had both of them replaced before and kept having them cleaned. He then died from Kidney failure. Today we celebrated his 2nd Year memorial. We had a portion of the street that our church is on renamed after him: Very Rev. Fr. Bishoy Demetrious Way.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=7629.msg100211#msg100211 date=1234410729]
    Fr. Bishoy is the first Coptic Priest ordained on United States soil.  Fr. Gabriel Abdelsayed, of blessed memory, is the First Priest ordained for service in the United States.  Fr. Bishoy was an installed service deacon at St. Mark in Jersey City in the mid-1970's.  He served under Fr. Gabriel for that time period.

I hope someone can clear this up for me.
    Fr. Bishoy Demetrius was ordained Feast of Ascension 1977. At that time, Fr. Gabriel Abdelsayed was present, Fr. Mina in Brooklyn was ordained in the 60's. Fr. Antonios Baki was ordained for Queens in 1970 and died a few months later. Fr. Youhanna Girgis was ordained 1973. So doesn't that make Fr. Youhanna Girgis the first priest ordained for service in the United States? Am I getting my chronology mixed up here?
  • I don't know any of these priests but I know Fr Bishoy was the first priest ordained in the US for the US by HH Pope Shenouda.