iPhone app for Confessions

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Here's a new iPhone app for confessions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12391129

Although this was for catholics - can Coptic Christians also use this to help them in their confessions also?

Of course it doesn't replace confessions, its just meant to remind you of EVERY single sin you could have ever possibly committed.

What do u all think?

Thanks

Comments

• Nice idea, I like it!  :)

Gb
  • You know what's missing from this app?

A point's feature: so you can compare yourself with your friends - have a kind of score board to see who has the lowest points.

The more sins you have, the lower you are on the scoreboard.

Then you can have the app change colour depending on your spiritual status:

Before confession: App is Red - you are dead.
    After Confession: App is green - you are clean.

But i feel the scoreboard could help motivate others to confess.

So, lets say if you swear - that's -10 points. However, stealing could be - 20 points?

Not sure.. but its missing something this app. Perhaps it needs a button to emergency dial your favourite Father of Confession, it it could geolocalize the NEAREST PRIEST closest to you, and make an appointment to get your sins wiped off the record books??

• I just received dispensation for saying a bad word from the App.

I also received dispensation not to Fast the Great Lent.

Maybe I can get a dispensation to have four wives.  I guess what would be easier is I become a Muslim.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10669.msg130058#msg130058 date=1297184495]
    You know what's missing from this app?

A point's feature: so you can compare yourself with your friends - have a kind of score board to see who has the lowest points.

The more sins you have, the lower you are on the scoreboard.

Then you can have the app change colour depending on your spiritual status:

Before confession: App is Red - you are dead.
    After Confession: App is green - you are clean.

But i feel the scoreboard could help motivate others to confess.

So, lets say if you swear - that's -10 points. However, stealing could be - 20 points?

Not sure.. but its missing something this app. Perhaps it needs a button to emergency dial your favourite Father of Confession, it it could geolocalize the NEAREST PRIEST closest to you, and make an appointment to get your sins wiped off the record books??

Hahahahahahaha Lol!  :)
    I think it's not good to give points to sins, sins are sins. But I like the idea.
  • in case there are any new-comers here, these guys are NOT serious!
    do not try this at home!!
    confess, using words, to a physically-present priest!
    ;)
  • this idea is OLDDD.......we thought of it almost 5 yrs ago....just using a blackberry.  ;D
  • I want to start a Confession Thread; where we all confess one thing about ourselves.

I will start:  I care too much.  It is a major problem I have.  Is there someone to help me with this problem?
    Is there someone that can annoy me enough so I can stop caring.

I guess it is my only fault.

O, I have another fault, I'm too funny for my own good.  It gets me into trouble a lot.
    Is there a way I can stop being funny?  I would like someone to annoy me enough so I can stop being funny.

Since I have gotten those sins off of my chest.  I would like someone to take up the cause and list their sins.

Do you want to go next, Minagir?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10669.msg130107#msg130107 date=1297198704]

i judge tooo much. also i kind of have that ability to "know people." many would think it's a good thing, but it's really not. brings on more sins that i just don't like to have. and what makes it worst is that most of the time, i am right on what i say about people. and is that bad?! it encourages....
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10669.msg130119#msg130119 date=1297201989]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10669.msg130107#msg130107 date=1297198704]

i judge tooo much. also i kind of have that ability to "know people." many would think it's a good thing, but it's really not. brings on more sins that i just don't like to have. and what makes it worst is that most of the time, i am right on what i say about people. and is that bad?! it encourages....

...can you elaborate? I think I am just like you in this.

Anyway, I was walking to the bus stop on the last Friday the 13th, and I stepped on a crack. My mother has not walked since. I have, but in shame.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=10669.msg130164#msg130164 date=1297210077]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10669.msg130119#msg130119 date=1297201989]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10669.msg130107#msg130107 date=1297198704]

no sure how to elaborate.

judging is not a sin.....that is clear enough. but you judge people, and based on that take every action....that sometimes brings sins.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10669.msg130107#msg130107 date=1297198704]
    I want to start a Confession Thread; where we all confess one thing about ourselves.
    O, I have another fault, I'm too funny for my own good.  It gets me into trouble a lot.
    Is there a way I can stop being funny?  I would like someone to annoy me enough so I can stop being funny.

Since I have gotten those sins off of my chest.  I would like someone to take up the cause and list their sins.

I wish I had that "sin"; being funny...
    If I did, I would be a devil. LOL.

Does't Jesus say: Judge not that you may not be judged.?
    So according to Minagir (still not on the "minatasgeel") and that verse, judging is not neccesarily a sin
    but it is something that you might want to avoid. lol. :D
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10669.msg130174#msg130174 date=1297211605]
    judging is not a sin.....that is clear enough. but you judge people, and based on that take every action....that sometimes brings sins.

I remember having this debate with you. I'm still determined that judging is a sin. You need to do a better job of convincing me otherwise buddy.

I will go next in confession-- I make people show pity for me too much and they are, therefore, forced to love me out of their will and sympathy. I am starting to feel pitiful for my sin.
  • I guess, I will go.
    I thin kone of the things I don't like about myself is that, I sometimes feel proud.
    Thanks God, everytime I do, someone, or something big knocks me down, to humble myself. Only for a while.
    BTW, I used to confess every week then my father of confession litterally told:
    Don't come again until after 4 weeks. Since the I haven't seen him, at all.
    That was about two months ago. My church is blessed to have 12 priests. Should I change
    my father of confession? I am pretty sure he does not "hate" me or anything, but I don't like living in sin.
    I need a father that is less bus. I think!?!
    God bless, Pray for me and my sinful self,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10669.msg130324#msg130324 date=1297299890]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10669.msg130174#msg130174 date=1297211605]

I remember having this debate with you. I'm still determined that judging is a sin. You need to do a better job of convincing me otherwise buddy.

I will go next in confession-- I make people show pity for me too much and they are, therefore, forced to love me out of their will and sympathy. I am starting to feel pitiful for my sin.

I think judging is a sin too. Actually, I can't stand how quickly people are to judge sometimes. It drives me crazy. And so I try very hard not to do it myself.
  • cyril97, go see your FOC, maybe he meant you were doing ok, and know how to progress in your spiritual life so you can confess less often. you could ask him.
    like, if you shout at someone on monday, ignore someone on tuesday and laugh at someone on wednesday, these might be all part of the same problem of being selfish and not caring for other people and their feelings. so u could tell your priest, 'i am mean sometimes to people, how can i change?'
    every day we should pray to God and repent of our sins and worship Him for His great glory and love. the priest advises us on our spiritual life and absolves us, as often as we need it. it's something you can discuss with your priest.
  • The thing is, I haven't seen him for about 2 months.
    I really, badly need to confess. Should I confess with a different priest? (Our church has 12)
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10669.msg130395#msg130395 date=1297373041]
    The thing is, I haven't seen him for about 2 months.
    I really, badly need to confess. Should I confess with a different priest? (Our church has 12)
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril

I think that if there is no other solution, you should confess with another priest, so you can take Holy communion when u are going to attend the Holy Liturgy. Rather confess with another priest, than not confessing at all.
    2 months is not short (Me to, I must also confess very fast).
    Then when you see your FOC again, you can tell him that u went confessing with anouther priest and explain the situation.

Remember me in ur prayers pls! God bless ya
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10669.msg130174#msg130174 date=1297211605]
    [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=10669.msg130164#msg130164 date=1297210077]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10669.msg130119#msg130119 date=1297201989]

no sure how to elaborate.

Judging others is a sin. When judging others you make yourself equal with God. By judging, a person would assume the worse about someone when he isn't aware of their circumstances. Only God can judge, as He is the only one aware of all our circumstances.

• [quote author=jshouk link=topic=10669.msg130483#msg130483 date=1297458174]
    Judging others is a sin. When judging others you make yourself equal with God. By judging, a person would assume the worse about someone when he isn't aware of their circumstances. Only God can judge, as He is the only one aware of all our circumstances.

when you assume the worse about someone, you are "condemning". they are two different words 2 different meaning.
  • http://www.thefreedictionary.com/judging

'To form an opinion or an evaluation [of someone].'

Also, condemning would be part of a judges role. Condeming is a part of judging. Judging is huge. Not all types of judgement is a sin. But in general, judgment/making yourself a judge is a sin. I have been taught this by my church and priests since childhood.

• [quote author=jshouk link=topic=10669.msg130525#msg130525 date=1297493403]
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/judging

'To form an opinion or an evaluation [of someone].'

Also, condemning would be part of a judges role. Condeming is a part of judging. Judging is huge. Not all types of judgement is a sin. But in general, judgment/making yourself a judge is a sin. I have been taught this by my church and priests since childhood.

ok