What are we supposed to sing?

Hello all,

What are we supposed to sing during communion after psalm 150 in the annual Sundays?

Please be specific.
I have asked many servants in the church and all they told me is that we are supposed to sing the annual melodies which I don't know.
Can you please provide me some of the hymns besides: night of the last supper, our savior called upon us. Because we sing these two almost every Sunday.

God bless.
Ebnyasoo3

Comments

• There is a book for seasonal melodies to be sung during the distribution of the holy mysteries.
    I think that your local church would have it.  ;) :D
    Cyril
  • we sing 'sons of God' a lot. and sherne maria too! sometimes they'll sing the same song in arabic too...but thats because communion takes almost an hourrr...
  • Here is what our hymns teacher told us:
    After Psalm 150, you sing Pioik, then if there is a saint for that day, you sing a tamgeed for them.
  • minatasgeel,
    Thank you for that. This is really helpful. But how do these three go?
    1) O Lord have mercy on Your creation
    2) O Mother of Light,
    3) Osana Ya Ebn Dawod (Hossana O Son of David)

Cyril97,
    Are you talking about the book that looks like the black book with the three liturgies. The one by the SUS.

GODLOVESme,
    what if there are no saints to be celebrated that day?

Thanks all
    God bless.
  • Hmm...well, usually by the time we finish singing Pioik, we start Ekesmarout and start saying O Kyrios and Shashf ensop and normally we have to stop in the middle, we usually don't get far into the tamgeed...if there is no saint, we would usually sing the tamgeed hymns for St. Mary and St. Verena (the patron saints of our church).
  • Tamgeeds are technically not supposed to be done during communion, but are supposed to be done after the synixar. But seem to become a trend. The order is what mina posted. Psalm 150, Pioik, Our Father and night of the last supper. That should usually take up all of communion. Especially if you do each in English/Arabic and Coptic
  • Hmm...well, usually by the time we finish singing Pioik, we start Ekesmarout and start saying O Kyrios and Shashf ensop and normally we have to stop in the middle, we usually don't get far into the tamgeed...if there is no saint, we would usually sing the tamgeed hymns for St. Mary and St. Verena (the patron saints of our church).

GODlovesme,
    We usually do that during St. Mary's fast and Kiahk. I didn't know that we could do the same thing during Annual Sundays as well!

jydeacon,
    So, there are no other Annual melodies than the ones that mina posted?

• Not that i know of, but you don't have to rush through them. If you say communion takes an hour, you have plenty to say. Psalm 150(all three languages)-Long piou fa pennoti pe at the end. Pioik(in more than one language if you please). Our Father and night of the last supper in English and Arabic. Thats plenty.
  • How about:  The Star-Spangled Banner?
  • Congrats on your 1700th post. Very wise and well thought out.
  • How about:  The Star-Spangled Banner?

hahahaha  ;D ;D ;D
  • Dear ebnyasoo3,

I would like to add to what has been said above.

If you can read Arabic, you will find many Annual Communion hymns in Muallem Farag's "Communion Hymns" book and in Muallem Albair's "Deacon's Service" book. Some of them are:
    -Our Father who art in heaven
    -Listen O people of Christ
    -Glory to He who raised the heavens
    -I begin with the three Hypostases
    All of the above have the same tune.

Some others are:
    -Praise God in all His saints (this hymn, not the psalm)
    -Our Saviour called us
    -The night of the Last Supper
    -Hosanna, Son of David

If you only read English, then the "Distribution Melodies" (published by SUS Diocese, I think) is the best reference to use.
  • [quote author=ebnyasoo3 link=topic=10583.msg128958#msg128958 date=1296426244]
    ..But how do these three go?
    1) O Lord have mercy on Your creation
    2) O Mother of Light,
    3) Osana Ya Ebn Dawod (Hossana O Son of David)

1) This has the same tune as "Our Father who art in Heaven"
    http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Hymns/Annual/Congregation_Responses/Ibrahim_Ayad/part5.html

2) Muallem Farag chants it here "Ya om anoor"
    http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Hymns/Annual/Congregation_Responses/Cantor_Farag_Abdelmessih.html

3) I am not sure of the tune of this one. I think I heard it once and it had a really long tune but I am not sure if this is the one that is said during Communion. I am interested to see minatasgeel's reply. If anyone has a recording of it, please upload it onto the site.