Result of Egyptian Protest

Comments

• [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10572.msg128791#msg128791 date=1296267968]
    [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10572.msg128790#msg128790 date=1296267820]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=10572.msg128779#msg128779 date=1296265223]
    He'll never be president. If Mobarak gets shot (God willing.. I mean, God forbid..) then Gamal, his son, will take his place. Fact.

You do realize that if mubarak leaves, the only power able to take hold of this void will be the brotherhood correct? I'm sure you know what that means...

The Iranian Revolution...O the horrors :'(

Exactly.
  • I guess Obama isn't so bad after all.

Ok, I need to get off tasbeha now, lol I've been procrastinating enough!

Goodnight everyone :)
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=10572.msg128776#msg128776 date=1296263345]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10572.msg128765#msg128765 date=1296257675]
    Muslim Brotherhood = Satan in charge
    Mubarak = Son of Satan in charge

But there's always ElBarad3i ... someone who is actually sane and cares about little things like human rights and democracy.

I'm under the impression that ElBaradei is more widely known outside of Egypt than within.  I've been told that if you were to ask common citizens who live in cities outside of the major ones (such as Cairo, Alexandria, etc.) that they really couldn't tell you much about him.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10572.msg128779#msg128779 date=1296265223]
    He'll never be president. If Mobarak gets shot (God willing.. I mean, God forbid..) then Gamal, his son, will take his place. Fact.

I could be incorrect, so I apologize if so, but I've heard that Gamal has stated (prior to the protests beginning) that he doesn't want to be president.
  • dont you guys just love politics?
  • [quote author=jfarag92 link=topic=10572.msg128798#msg128798 date=1296270820]
    dont you guys just love politics?

lol totally...
  • [quote author=jfarag92 link=topic=10572.msg128798#msg128798 date=1296270820]
    dont you guys just love politics?

of course.....that's why we left egypt and came to the states (or to any other place) to watch it from far away.
  • NEws now less tentative than before: both gamal and Alaa president's sons are in London now with their families, following the swearing in of Omar Suliman as vice president, who was/is the head of the intelligence services. He's loved by Egyptians in general, but not sure about the Christians' positions...
    Oujai
  • Omar Suleiman got rid of bin laden's second hand man, al zawahiri. he banned him from egypt basically so i think its safe to say that omar suleiman is not "e7'wangy" lol
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10572.msg128788#msg128788 date=1296267556]
    Boy, am I confused!

So, who is Elbarad3i?

El barad3i is someone who announced that he wants to run against Mubarak in the 2011 presidential elections last year. The problem with him though is that he's lived in the west for most of his life. He's got a gold spoon in his mouth. He doesn't know anything about the hell the egyptians live in. How could he change anything? The things he's got going for him is that he's not Mubarak, and he's not MB brainwashed.
  • Oh ok, so I was somewhat right.. just off by 31 years.

Thanks epiphania!
  • The stock markets are going wild, I read, due to the turmoil in Egypt. Since when does Egypt matter in global world affairs? This got to be some kind of joke.
  • [quote author=Mozes link=topic=10572.msg128856#msg128856 date=1296351517]
    The stock markets are going wild, I read, due to the turmoil in Egypt. Since when does Egypt matter in global world affairs? This got to be some kind of joke.

are you kidding me......it's the central of all businesses in the middle east. petrol in general....other industries that are centralized in egypt as part of global trade. the Suez canal in itself is on the highest important...when i was in egypt, i was taught that 1/3 of the capital of egpyt comes though the Suez canal. if it closes of any reason (new government or even "war") business will be wrecked do to the fact that the canal is used to transfer almost all asian products to Europe. this without considering the fact that we are, still, the only arab country that established peace with Israel.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10572.msg128857#msg128857 date=1296351871]
    [quote author=Mozes link=topic=10572.msg128856#msg128856 date=1296351517]
    The stock markets are going wild, I read, due to the turmoil in Egypt. Since when does Egypt matter in global world affairs? This got to be some kind of joke.

are you kidding me......it's the central of all businesses in the middle east. petrol in general....other industries that are centralized in egypt as part of global trade. the Suez canal in itself is on the highest important...when i was in egypt, i was taught that 1/3 of the capital of egpyt comes though the Suez canal. if it closes of any reason (new government or even "war") business will be wrecked do to the fact that the canal is used to transfer almost all asian products to Europe. this without considering the fact that we are, still, the only arab country that established peace with Israel.

No, I am not kidding you. Basically, what you are saying is we are important because we are located in a strategically important area other then being world class producers and economic masters. That much I do know. All we have to show to the world is our God given location without having the need to produce what passes in and out. We are not on the map as far as political ,economic and social power is concerned.That is why I do not feel we matter.We live on handouts.Beggars never matter.
  • [quote author=Mozes link=topic=10572.msg128860#msg128860 date=1296352301]
    No, I am not kidding you. Basically, what you are saying is we are important because we are located in a strategically important area other then being world class producers and economic masters. That much I do know. All we have to show to the world is our God given location without having the need to produce what passes in and out.

no one teaches in school which countries specialize in what in the global trade movements but they teach the concept. no one teach the companies that do trade but they are there. if you hear about EVERYTHING that happens in companies across the globe, than how will things be done; what i mean is that business deals almost every aspect and industry are done mostly in secrecy and that is against the laws of the land, they are made with very little knowledge to the public. it's better that way so revenue can increase to all participants in a business deal.

We are not on the map as far as political ,economic and social power is concerned.That is why I do not feel we matter.We live on handouts.Beggars never matter.

no one understands their status in the world til they actually test it. some might not see themselves to matter but in reality, they do. they just fail to because it's just not effecting them...and if it is, they might just be hungry for more.

• just wondering,
    what is the Christian view of "revolution"?
    I wont pull the exact quotes up, but i know there are verses for standing up for what is right, and there are verses that say to not meddle with it because it is in God's hands
    is there a point where we should stand up, not only for religious rights etc as we have before, but also for more oppressive regimes such as the one in egypt and other countries
    or should we just live our life
  • Mubarek is supported by US and Jews alike. This is why Obama is taking such a sissy stance, which will end up hurting us in the long run. Amazing how you can be a dictator and receive billions of dollars as long as you support US interests. This is going to destabilize the whole region once he inevitably leaves or is killed. I personally feel that the next regime will be much worse.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=10572.msg128867#msg128867 date=1296357765]
    Mubarek is supported by US and Jews alike. This is why Obama is taking such a sissy stance, which will end up hurting us in the long run. Amazing how you can be a dictator and receive billions of dollars as long as you support US interests. This is going to destabilize the whole region once he inevitably leaves or is killed. I personally feel that the next regime will be much worse.

YES!! THANK YOU!
    Finally someone who understands the severity of the issue... if mubarak leaves, the most organised group will take over... and guess who that is?? the muslim brotherhood! and we know what that means!! more fatalities and a true genocide of the Copts in Egypt!
    DO NOT BE FOOLED! the muslim brotherhood has been behind this and they will take control of this chaos and cause destruction as they already have.

Lord have mercy!
  • Personally, i still can't call the guy to be "a dictator"....i just can't. yes he's not the best....yes the government is corrupt.....but he's just not a dictator.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10572.msg128869#msg128869 date=1296359172]
    Personally, i still can't call the guy to be "a dictator"....i just can't. yes he's not the best....yes the government is corrupt.....but he's just not a dictator.

When you hold absolute power and refuse to share any, that is a dictator. This revolt was funded by someone, it wasnt the Jews, who need stability there, and it wasnt the US who also need stability. Stability in the sense that a guy is running things that is friendly to both. I am assuming that some islamic state has been funding this and the muslim brotherhood, which most likely will take over. In the beginning of the rule they will probably portray themselves as friendly to all but that wont last long. This will spread like wild fire to other countries, possibly places like Ethiopia and maybe Eritrea, maybe Jordan or other places in order to create Islamic strongholds. Just a thought.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=10572.msg128877#msg128877 date=1296365369]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10572.msg128869#msg128869 date=1296359172]
    Personally, i still can't call the guy to be "a dictator"....i just can't. yes he's not the best....yes the government is corrupt.....but he's just not a dictator.

When you hold absolute power and refuse to share any, that is a dictator. This revolt was funded by someone, it wasnt the Jews, who need stability there, and it wasnt the US who also need stability. Stability in the sense that a guy is running things that is friendly to both. I am assuming that some islamic state has been funding this and the muslim brotherhood, which most likely will take over. In the beginning of the rule they will probably portray themselves as friendly to all but that wont last long. This will spread like wild fire to other countries, possibly places like Ethiopia and maybe Eritrea, maybe Jordan or other places in order to create Islamic strongholds. Just a thought.

good....it's just a thought.....not reality that is based proof.
    by your definition of a "dictator" i can call almost every president or prime minister of a country today "a dictator"
  • you probably could, politics are a cruel joke. Its too bad the Jews control everything.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=10572.msg128867#msg128867 date=1296357765]
    Mubarek is supported by US and Jews alike. This is why Obama is taking such a sissy stance, which will end up hurting us in the long run. Amazing how you can be a dictator and receive billions of dollars as long as you support US interests. This is going to destabilize the whole region once he inevitably leaves or is killed. I personally feel that the next regime will be much worse.

You are correct in asserting that whatever form of government evolves in Egypt, if Mubarak is removed, will not be very pro-Western.  There are two key factors in this: a) the sting of colonialism exists in the collective memory of not only Egypt but the Arab world and b) following the end of colonialism, the U.S. has supported corrupt, authoritarian governments all in the interest of American policy.  While I do not believe these sentiments will be helpful for these countries to progress, I can truly understand the basis for these feelings towards the West. 

Just think, the typical Egyptian not only blames Mubarak for the current stat of Egypt, but will most likely put blame on those who have empowered him to do so for the past 30 years: namely the U.S. and the West.
  • Abu, wonderful asessment of the situation. I think the Egyptian people really could have gotten passed a lot of things had the west stepped up and demanded reform long ago, even like a year ago. But for the simple fact that Obama was essentially still supporting Mobarek, the US has lost any kind of foothold in Egypt. There is not much the US can do from here either, getting involved will probably escalate things. Whatever happens it is not going to be in the interest of the Copts, and we should have expected that. In my opinion this is only the beginning of things to come.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=10572.msg128882#msg128882 date=1296367692]
    you probably could, politics are a cruel joke. Its too bad the Jews control everything.

and what's sad is it took the holocaust of 6 million of them to be in that position.....not that i condemn them.

maybe you guys know something i don't, what else ties egypt and US (and Israel i guess) other than economics and the Camp David WHICH WAS good for us even if alll go against that. we, as egyptians, don't always have to have EVERYTHING.
  • [quote author=Marenhos Epchois link=topic=10572.msg128868#msg128868 date=1296358473]
    [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=10572.msg128867#msg128867 date=1296357765]

YES!! THANK YOU!
    Finally someone who understands the severity of the issue... if mubarak leaves, the most organised group will take over... and guess who that is?? the muslim brotherhood! and we know what that means!! more fatalities and a true genocide of the Copts in Egypt!
    DO NOT BE FOOLED! the muslim brotherhood has been behind this and they will take control of this chaos and cause destruction as they already have.

Lord have mercy!

The Muslims themselves wouldn't want the Muslim Brotherhood...I mean just look at what happened in Iran...
  • Ya but the MB, even though they're not popular, have financial and outside support. that's why they're powerful.

speaking of the muslim brotherhood, Nitenyahu (Israel's prime minister) has just announced that if they take over, he's going to break the camp david agreement. Israel and Egypt will be at war again...
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10572.msg128918#msg128918 date=1296420519]
    [quote author=Marenhos Epchois link=topic=10572.msg128868#msg128868 date=1296358473]
    [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=10572.msg128867#msg128867 date=1296357765]

YES!! THANK YOU!

Lord have mercy!

The Muslims themselves wouldn't want the Muslim Brotherhood...I mean just look at what happened in Iran...

I agree.  Although I do believe that whatever form of government assumes power following this revolt, it will have an Islamic and slightly anti-Western strain throughout since Egypt is a primarily Islamic nation.  However, I am not convinced that the Muslim Brotherhood will be the ones to take control of the government as some fear.  I do believe that the Muslim Brotherhood will be able to participate in the new government just as the other political parties.  
  • [quote author=Mozes link=topic=10572.msg128856#msg128856 date=1296351517]

You have to think in terms of Geopolitics (not wealth or economic might), that is, the political policies in certain geographical area in the world. In this case, Egypt counts because it is located in an area where, if things go wrong, could have serious ramifications for the world.To get an idea,go back to history and think of the arab- israeli war and its impacts on the world economy in the 70's.As already has been identified,the Suez Canal is a vital route for arabian,persian gulf oil shipments.The Suez -Mediteranean Oil Pipeline runs from the gulf of suez in the red sea  to Sidi kerir on the Mediteranean side . It serves as an alternative to the Suezcanal and transports around 1 million barrel of oil a day. Imagine what happens, if this oil flow or transport is suddenly disrupted!! In the event of political upheavals,oil speculators jump in and start to predict future oil prices.They just bet on it like gangsters.For example,they instill fear and insecurity by predicting that the conflict may spread to real oil producing countries such as Libya, Algeria and others.When this happens Oil producing countries take advantage of the situation  and withhold their supplies in order to sell it at a later time when there is an actual increase in price.The effect is that there would be more demand of oil than actual supply in the market, driving the current prices higher. And that is exactly what is happening.Stocks are falling,cos those who invest in them choose to invest in secured assets such as Gold.They run away with their money from insecure markets ,causing the stocks to fall.In other words, Egypt may not be as rich and as powerful as germany or any other rich nation,but the fact that it is located in the right place (Israels neighbour) is an asset and power itself; a respected 'beggar' that counts, to use your terminology.
  • [quote author=Abu Muqawama link=topic=10572.msg128883#msg128883 date=1296368197]
    You are correct in asserting that whatever form of government evolves in Egypt, if Mubarak is removed, will not be very pro-Western.  

How about if El Baradei takes over? It appears that he came back to egypt not out of the blue but at the behest of the americans. The americans are never going to allow the formation of a  government that is hostile to Israel. Now,elbaradie has worked with the US in the past and they know that he is their lackey and will continue to do so in the event he takes over an interim government. I am not sure, his arrival looks to me pure opportunism, not of someone who has the welfare of the country at heart ,but to take advantage of a looming crisis.The only thing that is going for him is that he won the noble prize for peace.