WHOA WHOA WHOA--YOU GOTTA READ THIS--SCIENTIFIC PROOF THAT JESUS IS GOD

edited January 2011 in Faith Issues
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

THIS IS SO GREAT! YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT! BUT IT'S TRUE!

It takes the moon 29.53 days to reach the same phase. (It's called a synodic month). This means that it doesn't take the entire year for the moon to do 12 cycles (12 months). Actually it only takes about 354 days.

So why did God make it so stupid? He should have made the solar year exactly 354 days.

AH!!! There is a reason!!!!!!!!!!

By doing it this way, there is a difference of about 10.9 days between the solar calendar and the lunar calendar (12 cycles of the moon). That means that the lunar year will get a head start every year and the seasons will gradually change their place in the calendar.

Guess how long it takes for the lunar calendar to get realigned (in terms of seasons) to the solar calendar (in others words, what is 365.24/10.9)?????????

33.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S EXACTLY THE NUMBER OF YEARS JESUS WAS ON THE EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

Comments

• But we don't know how old our Lord was when he ascended to heaven.
  • It's a good thing I believe in God and not Math, because I have no idea what you're talking about, Sudani. :-[
  • Above all Sudani, I admire your zeal. Very passionate and that must be admired.
  • Luke 3:23 says that he began his ministry at about 30 years. And the prophecy in Daniel says that his ministry should last "a time, and times, and a half of a time."
  • The prophecy in Daniel does not refer to the ministry of Christ. It refers to the length of the tribulation at the end (in one way or another).

Why would a calculation from the calendar, and there are thousands of such calculations which are possible, relate to the length of Christ's life on earth?

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10548.msg128294#msg128294 date=1296030993]
    The prophecy in Daniel does not refer to the ministry of Christ. It refers to the length of the tribulation at the end (in one way or another).

Why would a calculation from the calendar, and there are thousands of such calculations which are possible, relate to the length of Christ's life on earth?

Father Peter
    Christ wanted to make it very clear about the occasion of His incarnation because unlike the second coming He wanted people in a state of readiness - this is why He sent John the baptist and gave signs to the three kings and extended the life of Simeon in the temple.  I believe that there are calculations in the Old testament which can be done to calculate times and lengths for Christ's incarnation in the book of Daniel (Dan. 9:24-27).

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/old_testament_messiah.htm (see the section on the prophecies of Daniel it explains the calculation - it was banned for the Jews to do it because they knew what it pointed to)

The Bible should mention the length of Christs life because consistent with the Old Testament prophecies as clear sign posts of Christ birth, ministry, suffering and death.

The prediction of the second coming as we know however is a totally different story...
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10548.msg128294#msg128294 date=1296030993]
    The prophecy in Daniel does not refer to the ministry of Christ. It refers to the length of the tribulation at the end (in one way or another).

It does refer to the length of tribulation but within the "seventy" weeks, that is 70 weeks * 7 days=490 days which becomes 490 years. The vision explains what happens in those 490 years.

They don't specifically say how old is our Lord but many of the things that were done by our Lord (like the Epiphany or the Crucifixion) are included in the commentary of the vision.

The source of all what i am saying is Fr. Abraam Sleman's Bible Study of the Book of Daniel which can be found in text in his book "The God of Daniel" in arabic and english.
  • I had thought it was the Church tradition that Jesus' ministry was 3.5 years. I heard somewhere that in the early church, they used to celebrate the Pascha week only once every 33 years (Here's a reference: http://www.scribd.com/doc/6751/A-Guide-to-the-Holy-Pascha). Also, the gospel of John states 3 passovers that Jesus had attended and passover was done anually. For some reason, I also remember a doxology for archangel Gabriel/Khiak that mentions "time and times and a half of a time" and refers it to Christ. Unfortunately I no longer have a psalmodia to confirm this, if someone does, maybe they look it up and post it for us.

• The Church never celebrated Pascha only once every 33 years. I have no idea where the writer you linked to got that idea. The Jews celebrated Passover every year and the Church remembered the events of Pascha at around the same Passover time each year.

The issue is not how old our Lord was when he died. The issue is that that there are so many numbers in the natural world that it is not significant when two are multiplied or divided or added or subtracted and come up with any particular number. I do not believe that the maths you suggested is scientific proof of anything, not least because the numbers used would have to be very accurate and we do not know accurately exactly how old our Lord was. Indeed His incarnation began 9 months before His birth.

Father Peter
  • Fr. Peter,

I have seen in many publications and in speaking with a number of Coptic priests, that traditionally, Pascha was only celebrated once every 33 years. I'm wondering if you could perhaps provide us some references to the contrary. Even more beneficial would be if any other Copts have references supporting the idea that it was in fact only celebrated once every 33 years so we can find out where this idea was born. I find this very interesting.
  • [quote author=Sudani link=topic=10548.msg128285#msg128285 date=1296023624]
    WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

THIS IS SO GREAT! YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT! BUT IT'S TRUE!

It takes the moon 29.53 days to reach the same phase. (It's called a synodic month). This means that it doesn't take the entire year for the moon to do 12 cycles (12 months). Actually it only takes about 354 days.

So why did God make it so stupid? He should have made the solar year exactly 354 days.

AH!!! There is a reason!!!!!!!!!!

By doing it this way, there is a difference of about 10.9 days between the solar calendar and the lunar calendar (12 cycles of the moon). That means that the lunar year will get a head start every year and the seasons will gradually change their place in the calendar.

Guess how long it takes for the lunar calendar to get realigned (in terms of seasons) to the solar calendar (in others words, what is 365.24/10.9)?????????

33.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S EXACTLY THE NUMBER OF YEARS JESUS WAS ON THE EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

i like the idea tho, where did u get it from?!
    PPFM
  • The facts of the Quartodeciman controversy which took place in the first half of the second century prove that Pascha was not celebrated every 33 years. The question developed into whether it should be celebrated with the Jews on the 14th Nisan, or on the Sunday following. It happened every year, and those who kept it on 14th Nisan every year had received the tradition from St John, whom St Polycarp, who supported this practice, had known and been a disciple of.

We also know that at least from about 115-ish AD in Rome Pascha was celebrated each year on a Sunday.

Melito of Sardis writes of it as a long established custom. And we know that the celebrations of martyrdoms took place annually. Since the first recorded mention of Pascha is as an annual feast I cannot find any references in any sources to Pascha being kept every 33 years, nor any scholars who have written on Pascha mentioning such a thing.

I would be very interested in the primary sources for this idea among those you have spoken to.

This was discussed on CH some years ago and I said then...

As for Pascha every 33 years. I have not found any evidence for this anywhere except for it being stated on a few websites. The early paschal cycles were 19 and 84 years, and the very existence of these cycles suggests that pascha could not have been kept once every 33 years.

And as I said previously, the Quartodeciman controversy shows that it was being kept each year, because the question was whether it should be kept on the 14th Nisan irrespective of its day of the week, or on the Sunday following. St Polycarp appealed to the authority of St John for the practice in Asia-Minor. At no time in the controversy was it mentioned that Pascha was only kept once every 33 years, indeed it was clearly kept every year and had always been done so in the memory of those engaged in the controversy or they would surely have mentioned it.

If someone has a reference for this possible 33 year interval in the keeping of Pascha it would be very good to have it otherwise I cannot see that there is any basis for such a claim.The very fact that the Pascha is so closely linked to the annual Jewish passover seems to me to show that it is very ancient in origin, and derives from a time when the Church was still a semi-Jewish community.

No-one then was able to point to any historic reference to the practice of keeping Pascha every 33 years except for it appearing on some Coptic websites.

Father Peter
  • Hi Father,

I agree that this is not scientific proof that Jesus is God and you are right that there are many number in nature that can be interpreted in many ways. I just thought it was interesting since it seems strange that the cycles of the moon are almost but not exactly aligned with the cycles of the earth around the sun. You can probably tell from my style of writing that I wasn't being too serious when I wrote it. I still think, though, that it is the orthodox church tradition that Jesus' ministry was approximately 3.5 years and that he ascended in his 33rd year.

To the person who asked, I stumbled upon this when I was studying the Gregorian calendar (the calendar we use today). About 100 years ago, there were still many countries using their own calendars (Russia, Greece, and Saudi Arabia for example), but today, virtually everyone is using the Gregorian calendar. Today,  people of all religions, are using a calendar that is based on the life of Jesus. The Jews used to have a lunar calendar (they still use it today for religious purposes) which usually has 354 days in it (it's based on the moon). The Muslims today also use a 354 day calendar. The result is 33.5 year cycle between the seasons and their feast days.
  • Father Peter,
    I think the entire Holy Week with its feasts, rites, hymns and services was done every 33 yr....not really "pascha" because the feast were still celebrated on there appointed time every yr.
  • Mina, do you have any evidence that Pascha was ever celebrated every 33 years?

I have looked twice now over several years and as far as I can see from reading liturgical scholars there is no mention at all. Therefore I am not inclined to accept it on the basis of an unreferenced comment on a website. Why would liturgical scholars have missed such a very, very important point?

What evidence are you referencing?

Father Peter
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10548.msg128364#msg128364 date=1296073010]
    Father Peter,
    I think the entire Holy Week with its feasts, rites, hymns and services was done every 33 yr....not really "pascha" because the feast were still celebrated on there appointed time every yr.

I thought Holy Week is Pascha. I know that we celebrated Easter and Lent every year since day 1, so I understood it was just the Holy week/pascha that was celebrated every 33 years.
  • What evidence do you have?

As I keep saying, NO LITURGICAL SCHOLAR KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PRACTICE, and I can find it referred to in no early Fathers. So what evidence is there.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Sudani link=topic=10548.msg128371#msg128371 date=1296073430]
    I thought Holy Week is Pascha. I know that we celebrated Easter and Lent every year since day 1, so I understood it was just the Holy week/pascha that was celebrated every 33 years.

Pascha is is the service done in Holy Week....not the week in its entirety. Also, technically speaking, the day of the feast, the Resurrection is referred to as The Passover-"el-fes-h" in old church books.

Fr. Peter, i'll try to get a source. it was a teaching that i received from many deacons.
  • Thanks Mina,

I am very, very, very doubtful about it. The fact that none of the greatest liturgical scholars mention it, and it does not feature in any of the controversies about the date of Pascha, and the tradition of an annual Pascha goes all the way back to St John.

I will be interested to see what solid sources you find.

Father Peter
  • edited March 2014
  • edited March 2014
  • I was also taught that t used to be celebrated every 33 years
  • Hey guys,
    Sorry to add my two cents, BUT (I will speak in Gregorian Calendar terms) Christ was born December 25th (year being unknown) to April 5th (year also not determined). HOWEVER, the Synxarium claims Virgin Mary stayed with St. Joseph for 34 years (Jesus having been alive for at least 30 of them) and it's been widely stated that Christ's ministry was approximately 3 years. The timeline of when the Virgin living with St. Joseph fits very well with the lifespan of Christ (the Synxarium considers her living with St. Joseph even after his death because the Synxarium specifically states that "She spent 34 years in Joseph's house"). Also, the Synxarium says that "for our Lord when He had finished His work upon earth, during a period of thirty-three years". This means, Christ lived for 33.28 years (to be approximate) not 33.5 years.

Also, Fr. Peter,
    I have also looked and tried to find information concerning the celebration of Good Friday every 33 years and I cannot find it. However, I was taught that this was the case at one point and the reason the Church changed it was because people sometimes would die in between the 33 years and never get to witness one so the Church changed Good Friday to be annual. This is what I was taught but I could be wrong. Excuse my ignorance.
  • I appreciate some of you have been taught this, but there is no evidence at all as far as I can see. And it contradicts everything that any scholar I have ever read or any Father I have noted on this subject has ever said.

If there is no evidence then surely it is not true?

Father Peter

• Sudani's insight is right, But how?

33.5 years are slightly more than 414 full lunar cycles or lunations.
    (33.5x365.242)/29.5306= 414.34 lunations
    This means we fall 0.34 lunations after the full cycle has been completed. 

We have to be more precise.

Therefore we use 414 lunar cycles (33.47 years).

We know that the day of full moon was on Thursday night of april the sixth, the beginning 14th of the lunar month of Nisan, which was friday of 30 AD (not 33); and the Lord was put to death the on that friday afternoon. If we count 414 lunations to the past from full moon to full moon, we find ourselves in the friday of 6 BCE December 24 at night, 33.47 years into the past. This was the 14 th day of the month of Tevet (which means the good month).
    This is the real "good friday" and where I believe the name is derived, for it was good that our Lord was born and it was in the good month (Tevet).

This I believe is the year of the birth of our Lord and the day, on full moon.
    The first day of the Lord on earth is the sabbath 15 of tevet or 25th of december 6 BCE.

This is how this works Sudani, great insight!

I have calculated this date from the gospel of Luke as well if anyone is interested.