Youtube vid

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi guys i just made a new youtube vid (more to come) tell me what you think and how do u like the tarneema and the icons. Ill post the other vids when they finesh uploading i should have all by 2moro god will.

Comments

• that is my 1st vid

my second
    subscribe to me!!
  • That is sooooooo cool.
    Firstly, can you send or PM me the coptic for each hymn?
    How did you get the coptic words? Did you make them yourself? You must be sick in coptic!!!
    Secondly, I really love it.
    Thirdly, I would  just wish that you could make coptic and english or just coptic.
    That would be soooooooooooooooooooooooo kool.
    I really love the pix.
    God bless your efforts, Pray for me 2 ;)
    Cyril
  • I wonder what Fady will think of these coptic songs  ;D
  • Who is Fady?
    If it is me and I don;t know it yet, I love it! ;) :P
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10523.msg127895#msg127895 date=1295807014]
    That is sooooooo cool.
    Firstly, can you send or PM me the coptic for each hymn?
    How did you get the coptic words? Did you make them yourself? You must be sick in coptic!!!
    Secondly, I really love it.
    Thirdly, I would  just wish that you could make coptic and english or just coptic.
    That would be soooooooooooooooooooooooo kool.
    I really love the pix.
    God bless your efforts, Pray for me 2 ;)
    Cyril

Cyrl, I did not record this I got it off a cd, and i put together the pictures and did some editing. The name of the cd is naghamat kepteya. and i will try to find the lyrics in coptic.
  • Ophadece, the Coptic fanatic on the site, would be Fady.

Only kidding Ophadece :D
  • The songs are by boulos malak
  • Dear Hos Erof,
    You're the one who drew my attention to this... hehe. I've heard other things for deacon Boulous Malak before, and of course the usage of Greco-Bohairic puts me off completely. I don't know the man personally but his Coptic is of course very good, however there are many Greek-derived words rather than genuine Coptic ones that are by the way simple, which I don't like, but I'm aware of many people doing that due to the ambivalence of using the correct Coptic and how this by all means is associated with the correct dialect.
    As for the songs themselves, I don't know. Very very commendable effort but I don't know why Coptic in musically modern songs doesn't sit right with my ear... hehe... if that or similar activities is going to attract people to the language then can we have more?
    Oujai
  • Both Hos Erof and TITL are right. That's me.... hehe... my real name is on the avatar I'm using... please don't be put off by the simple Coptic on the avatar as well... even that you don't care to read?!!! Hehe... kidding everybody no offence intended
    Oujai
  • [quote author=GeorgeT link=topic=10523.msg127870#msg127870 date=1295748553]
    Hi guys i just made a new youtube vid (more to come) tell me what you think and how do u like the tarneema and the icons. Ill post the other vids when they finesh uploading i should have all by 2moro god will.

Beautifull! I love it!
    Which programm did u use?

Rabina yebarkek

gb
  • [quote author=+marmar+ link=topic=10523.msg127907#msg127907 date=1295812721]
    Beautifull! I love it!

Rabina yebarkek

gb

I used windows live movie maker. And thank you! :)
  • [quote author=GeorgeT link=topic=10523.msg127908#msg127908 date=1295813318]
    [quote author=+marmar+ link=topic=10523.msg127907#msg127907 date=1295812721]
    Beautifull! I love it!

Rabina yebarkek

gb

I used windows live movie maker. And thank you! :)

Thank you! :D
  • I just came up with a brilliant idea! How about Ophadece teaches us a conversational Coptic words everyday. By conversational, I don't mean liturgy words lol. For example, we can start easy with just simple phrases: "how are you" "im doing well, thank God" "goodbye" "nice post"..etc
    And we all try to make the effort (even Fr Peter ;D) to use them in our posts as much as we can.

Maybe Ophadece's dream might come true and we'll all be fluent with each other one day ;)
  • Dear TITL,
    I have to say I'm privileged that you put forward that suggestion. Not sure I'm that fluent though in Coptic language as a daily usage one. I guess ebshois nai nan and remenkimi, are more suited to that. I'm only good at analyzing liturgical Coptic material, and bickering, so I'll make sure I'll give him a hard time whoever will start... hehe...
    NO but seriously I think that's a very good idea for us all to learn from each other but first there is a must: the Coptic editing button to be back on the forum options.
    Oujai
  • Ok, I have another idea.. how about we add a new feature to the forum section called "Word of the Day" (like verse of the day :P). Instead of posting in a thread everyday (it'll reach a billion pages first of all, and second of all Maged wouldn't be too happy with that), we can ask the Admins to give you access to upload the Coptic word of the day.. and I guess we can just learn from that.

You're welcome for nominating you lol.

PS I was thinking the new feature would look good under the Google Translate option on the right of the screen.
  • I really like that idea.
    We can all restore the language that has been robed from us about 1.5 centuries ago.
    I WISH that we can all become fluent in coptic as a language to speak and not just write.
    Thanks George for trying to find the lyrics for me.
    God bless this idea, and you guys, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • I was put off by the bellydancing tunes.  It took me about 10 seconds to stop the vid.  I think I will be nauseous until I go to sleep.
  • That first picture from the second video looks very familiar ;)
  • The picture was nice but I wanted to send some nasal spray or sinus relief medication.

The nose...knows.

What a twist, bellydancing music with nasal singing.  The ultimate attack on my auditory sense.
  • edited March 2014
  • For any of you who are interested in Coptic phonology (sounds), there is a blog that collects scholarly/linguistic resources on that subject called, appropriately enough, Coptic Sounds. Sadly this is one area that I do not have nearly enough resources on. Most of the Coptic resources I've seen have not been teaching grammars, and those that are are either prohibitively expensive (Nabil Mattar's "Study of Bohairic Coptic" @ ~$100) or do not teach the dialect used in the church (Sahidic Coptic manuals by Lambdin, Layton and others). It's rather frustrating!

Though while we are on the subject of Youtube videos, there seem to be a number that teach basic words:

Here's one

And another

And still another

You get the point

I would love to see a "Coptic Word of the Day" feature here (for those of us who aren't good with phone technology, and to be able to see it in Coptic script), and of course the Coptic button put back. Now that I have the fonts installed I'm itching to write in Coptic, even if it is just "Nane atoowi". :)
  • edited March 2014
  • I would assume that it is the "Old Bohairic" pronunciation (it is lacking in the phonemes introduced by the Greco-Bohairic: [p], [v], [č], etc.), but I don't know. Here is an interesting polemical page on the different pronunciations that you might find helpful.

• Thanks dzheremi... I do hope that every single member on this forum spend 10 - 15 minutes reading the article. Not only those who are Copts or who have Coptic ancestry but also all the other blessed and highly regarded members of this forum who take some even if minute interest in the Coptic language....
    Oujai
  • GODlovesme,

If the readings for each day are roughly around 7,843 characters (I used today's readings) and my phone counts every 160 characters in one text, then I will be getting around 49 texts everyday.. not including "Word of the Day", which is primarily what I want. (Not to mention that I already have a hard time catching up texts and responding)

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the purpose in this. The readings for the day are available on almost every Coptic Church website, and I also get them in emails everyday from Mark Sadek, which I'm sure 80% of the world is subscribed to. No offense to SuperMan(BAM)'s idea, but I don't see how the texts are "more" convenient.

I'm still up for the "Coptic Word/Phrase of the Day" under the Google Translate box on the right side of the screen.

I'll PM Mikesl.

Thanks for your suggestion GODlovesme, maybe someone else will find it useful (perhaps someone with an iphone) ;)
  • edited March 2014
  • I did not mean to condemn the service; your first post left me with a good deal of assumptions, and for that I apologize. Thank you for clearing things up.

I am sure the text messages are of great use to a number of people (as they are for you), but I do not think they will benefit me. I already have a hard time answering my calls and replying to texts. My parents have resorted to sending me emails whenever they want to get a hold of me. Now that I think of it, I have no idea where my phone is... typical.

I have nothing against the service; it's just not convenient for me.
  • yay! another video that makes no sense to me full of non-Orthodox icons.
  • You make me want to cry sometimes, Yo-ah.

I feel for you.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=10523.msg127976#msg127976 date=1295894490]
    yay! another video that makes no sense to me full of non-Orthodox icons.

What do you mean it makes no sense to you?? they are coptic taraneim/songs that are in the church song books. There is nothing wrong with them and anyways most of the pics are coptic icons/ saints. others do not go against the church faith