Coptic Political Activist 1920's-1950's

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Some of you may or may not be aware that I am in graduate school and one of my classes this quarter is Modern Islamic Political Thought.  In it we are studying the writings of Al-Afghani, Al-Banna, Qutb, etc.  I have to do a research paper for this class and I am hoping that the topic for this paper is going to springboard me into my master's thesis.  Currently I am thinking of comparing the writings and teachings of Hassan al-Banna and Sayid Qutb.  However, last night I was curious as to whether or not there were any politically active Copts (either laymen or the priesthood) who were politically active during the same time period as Al-Banna, as it might make an interesting study to compare Al-Banna's ideas against the Egyptian government with that of a political active Copt during the same time.

So do any of you know of any Copts politically active during this time and who either wrote tracts or gave sermons/speeches?

Comments

• Abouna Sarga (Sergius) slightly preceded this period.  He was involved in the liberation front from the British Occupation and helped in the role of Boutros Ghali.
  • Makram Ebeid... El Wafd-Party, in times of Mustafa El Nahas en Saad Zaghloul.
  • And Ester Fanous as well - also during the time of Saad Zaghloul I think.

I studied Sayyid Qutb briefly last year in my religion classes - he was a very scary guy.
  • If you are interested, I can send you an excellent reference of a gentleman I know that carried forward his PhD dissertation that was inclusive of the era that you mentioned.  Send me a PM if you are interested.