What is the best Gregorian (Arabic) Liturgy have you ever heard?

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi All,
I have a question to ask you?
What do you think is the best Gregorian (Arabic) Liturgy have you ever heard?
Personally I think Fr Abdel Missih El Oksery & Fr Yassa Rizk & Fr Yousef Assad.

Comments

• Abouna Bishoy Demetrious ALL THE WAY!!!
  • http://saint-mary.net/hymnology/divine_liturgies/st_gregory/

Abouna Antonious Tanious is also great. Him and Abouna Bishoy can be found here.

• abouna yohanna he was closing his eyes while reading and his voice is just awesome

please pray for me.
  • Anba Andrawis. He prayed the liturgy during the time of the departure of Pope Kerrelos VI.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10451.msg126992#msg126992 date=1294969414]
    Anba Andrawis. He prayed the liturgy during the time of the departure of Pope Kerrelos VI.

i am sure the quality would not be that good
  • I actually really like old recordings, more so then the new ones.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10451.msg126995#msg126995 date=1294970130]
    I actually really like old recordings, more so then the new ones.

really? i get annoyed because it is hard to understand what they are saying so i stop listening.
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=10451.msg126993#msg126993 date=1294969571]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10451.msg126992#msg126992 date=1294969414]
    Anba Andrawis. He prayed the liturgy during the time of the departure of Pope Kerrelos VI.

i am sure the quality would not be that good

actually it's just perfect to me.....clean and nice to hear.
  • Fr Boula Melek!!! As if no one has heard him before, here is a peak:

If anyone wants his full masses (Basilian, Gregorian, and Cyrillic) pm me, the recordings have a better quality than the video.
  • I had the blessing of praying with fr. Yohanna Nasif just a couple days ago. It was awesome!

P.S the best english gregorian is hands down fr. Antonios Tanious

• definitely my priest. he is so sincere in his repentance and his love for God and for the people, and he prays the liturgy of gregory often.
    and no, he didn't record it!
    :o
    i personally think it's better to experience these things in person (in church) and only listen to the recordings in order to memorise the words. because the biggest part of the experience is the repentance before God and taking the Holy Communion, which u can't do at home.
  • I agree with the Wisdom of Mabsoota.
  • In terms of this thread what does 'best' mean?

Father Peter
  • My Dear Father,

I think the inference is purely by the "voice"  of the priests.  So, if a priest was tone deaf, and had the faith to move a mountain, that would not qualify as "the best" in terms of Liturgy.

It is splendid how superficial we have become [pure sarcasm].
  • I don't think "voice" is everything.....and my choice shows that.

Sometimes the "feel" that a priest has when he prays makes everything. You have people who have great voices as Abouna Metias Nasr of HICS....and you also have people who are as spiritual as Abouna Antonious Amin. both to me are great and are beautiful in their own way to be fitting to hear in certain times.
  • i think best is one that just sounds great and one that you can pray in.  for example, father mark hanna of east brunswick. he does not have that great of a singing voice but he cries and really gets into the prayer which i love.  but if you have a priest that does not have a great voice or even a decent voice, sometimes you just focus on that and cant focus on the prayer itself.

father bishoy demetrious hands down had the greatest voice and liturgies ever...you felt so deep into the liturgy and just...indescribable feeling. if you have not heard him, do not hesitate to listen: http://saint-mary.net/hymnology/divine_liturgies/st_gregory/
  • So would you do like the Miss Universe Pageant and have rating in categories, average, and then come up with the best Liturgy?

Here are some categories:

1.  Voice ( 1 - 5)
    2.  Tone ( 1 - 5)
    3.  Background deacons--chorus (1 - 5)
    4.  Background deacons--altar (1 - 5)
    5.  How the priest looks in his vestments (1 - 5)
    6.  How the priest sounds in his vestments ( 1-5)===> that just me being obnoxious
    7.  Digital quality of the piece ( 1 - 5)
    8.  Arabic language skills ( 1- 5)
    9.  Coptic Language skills ( 1 - 5)

So I guess if you have crumby deacons, it would bring your rating down.
    If you are tone-deaf and you have good deacons, you can potentially still have a great Liturgy.

So I am interested as to how the ratings were arrived.

What if the person rating is tone deaf?  How would that factor?

Sorry guys, I'm in an obnoxious mood.  No sleep lately.  Fatigue.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10451.msg127053#msg127053 date=1295041286]
    So would you do like the Miss Universe Pageant and have rating in categories, average, and then come up with the best Liturgy?

Here are some categories:

1.  Voice ( 1 - 5)
    2.  Tone ( 1 - 5)
    3.  Background deacons--chorus (1 - 5)
    4.  Background deacons--altar (1 - 5)
    5.  How the priest looks in his vestments (1 - 5)
    6.  How the priest sounds in his vestments ( 1-5)===> that just me being obnoxious
    7.  Digital quality of the piece ( 1 - 5)
    8.  Arabic language skills ( 1- 5)
    9.  Coptic Language skills ( 1 - 5)

So I guess if you have crumby deacons, it would bring your rating down.
    If you are tone-deaf and you have good deacons, you can potentially still have a great Liturgy.

So I am interested as to how the ratings were arrived.

What if the person rating is tone deaf?  How would that factor?

Sorry guys, I'm in an obnoxious mood.  No sleep lately.  Fatigue.

you can always MUTE the deacons and everyone else :-)
  • After averaging the ratings from the categories, one should count and compare number of goosebumps from top 3 liturgies with that from Lady Majida's recording:
  • Sorry, I'm not into the dramatic Lebanese singing.
  • Maybe you'll like it after you get some sleep, in a less-obnoxious mood ;)
  • Probably not.  This one has nothing to do with sleep.  It's they holding your breath and trying to sing dramatically that get me in these theatrics.

The guy leading in the leisure suit doesn't help my ability to palate the singing as he is conducting.
  • Better than nasally deacons, no?
  • I believe them to be on par.

I know it is completely un-Christian for me to write that, but that is the beauty of the weekend.  I will head to confession.  I will be absolved in time for the Liturgy on Sunday.

Thanks be to God and His Mercy.

• I'll just keep telling myself that you're really tired and can't help being in an obnoxious mood.

It'd be safe if you played along.
  • I agree to a point with Ilovesaintmark, sometimes its not about the voice. As long as the tune is said correctly, good voice or bad and the prayers can move you, doesn't matter. Ibrahim ayad now does not have the best voice due to a surgery he underwent, but I still love him as a cantor. However abouna antonious amin has an awesome voice, maybe its just me lol, so I don't see where mina is coming from.