Wed and Fri

Hello,

Are we going to fast Wed and Fri of this week?

Thank you
Ebnyasoo3

Comments

• yes, it was just friday Christmas day that was not a fasting day.
    :)
  • [quote author=ebnyasoo3 link=topic=10430.msg126747#msg126747 date=1294657157]
    Hello,

Are we going to fast Wed and Fri of this week?

Thank you
    Ebnyasoo3

yes we do but not strict fasting....meaning no fasting past noon because it's a festive day.
  • Since the fasting rules seem widely different between the various Orthodox churches, PLEASE can someone point to somewhere where the rules are written down because I would like to follow them.

In my church there are so many permitted exceptions to strict fasting rules that my wife, who does most of the cooking, gets really confused.

For example, there is some period of no fasting after the Nativity but I can't find out for sure when we return to Wednesdays and Fridays. It seems you do already.

So, rules please
  • [quote author=aidan link=topic=10430.msg126760#msg126760 date=1294671319]
    Since the fasting rules seem widely different between the various Orthodox churches, PLEASE can someone point to somewhere where the rules are written down because I would like to follow them.

In my church there are so many permitted exceptions to strict fasting rules that my wife, who does most of the cooking, gets really confused.

For example, there is some period of no fasting after the Nativity but I can't find out for sure when we return to Wednesdays and Fridays. It seems you do already.

So, rules please

there are probably books.....i am just not the best person to list them.
    strict fasting is NOT EASTING at all...and that is only always on non-festive days. From the time of the Nativity to the time of Circumcision (this fri or sat) we are on festive days........no strict fasting. but there is fasting in general.....why? because the period breaks strict fasting but doesn't break fasting in general.
  • mina, do you mean that on wednesday and friday we eat only vegan food but do not abstain from eating and drinking for a period of time (midnight to 3pm) as on a normal wednesday and friday?

i am not very good at the abstaining times, so for this reason i didn't learn them all yet!
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10430.msg126763#msg126763 date=1294672844]
    mina, do you mean that on wednesday and friday we eat only vegan food but do not abstain from eating and drinking for a period of time (midnight to 3pm) as on a normal wednesday and friday?

i am not very good at the abstaining times, so for this reason i didn't learn them all yet!

well.....on ALL Wednesdays and Fridays we can abstain from food since on them is a first degree fast. the only rule to break that abstinence is a feast. and the only rule that break that fast in general is one of the 3 ultimate feasts: Nativity, Epiphany/Theophany and Resurrection (which includes the Holy Fifties).
  • i understand we only eat meat and milk on wednesdays and fridays, when they occur in the 50 days after the resurrection feast.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10430.msg126773#msg126773 date=1294682744]
    i understand we only eat meat and milk on wednesdays and fridays, when they occur in the 50 days after the resurrection feast.

yes.....and if epiphany and nativity come to be on a wed or a fri.
  • wow, so this wednesday is not sayami?
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10430.msg126782#msg126782 date=1294694358]
    wow, so this wednesday is not sayami?

nonono. IT IS. if the feast DAY falls on a wed or a fri, not the festive days.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10430.msg126762#msg126762 date=1294672346]
    [quote author=aidan link=topic=10430.msg126760#msg126760 date=1294671319]
    Since the fasting rules seem widely different between the various Orthodox churches, PLEASE can someone point to somewhere where the rules are written down because I would like to follow them.

So, rules please

From the time of the Nativity to the time of Circumcision (this fri or sat) we are on festive days........no strict fasting. 

i thought it was from Nativity to Epiphany?
  • sorry, i was confusing epiphany with the feast of john the baptist, which is on wednesday.
    i'm still fairly new to the wednesday and friday fasting, i didn't observe all the fasting days when i first became coptic, i took it slowly.
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=10430.msg126785#msg126785 date=1294694940]
    i thought it was from Nativity to Epiphany?

nooo. only until Circumcision. the time between that and Epiphany (or it's Paramoun really) is annual.
  • and it's the feast of saint john the evangelist tomorrow, not the baptist.
    sorry for all the confusion...
    :-[