Annoyances during prayer

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What happens if you have an itch, or need to burp/expel gas (alone that is lol) when you pray? When I was young, I used to detach myself from my body when I prayed, but nowadays it seems I've become lazy when I pray and just go out of my way to do the smallest things whic become distracting... any opinions?

Comments

• I think it's funny that when we're not praying, everything is fine and dandy and ONCE we start prayer: our entire body itches, our stomach gets bloated, the doorbell rings, fire alarm goes off, we remember that important thing we were supposed to remember 3 years ago but forgot, our bladder is about to explode (even though we just went), we remember that funny scene from that hilarious movie, all the phones in the house ring at once, we notice the speck of dirt inside our fingernail, we just realized the answer to that show on jeopardy, we better remember (after prayer, of course) to call our friend up and rub it in that we figured out the answer, our little toe hurts, wonder why the ring finger is the only finger with a vein connected to the heart, our lungs stopped working and we have to yawn every 2 seconds to get some air....etc

Personally, I think we should force ourselves and continue the prayer. It's against the devil's will, and once God sees us fighting, He'll make the huge distractions become very little and unnoticeable. When Tamav Eriny told her FOC about the snake that appeared when she prostrated, he told her to put her head on them and continue with the prostrations. The snakes (distractions), were gone with time. 
  • Abba Agathon said, “I consider no other labor as difficult as prayer. When we are ready to pray, our spiritual enemies interfere. They understand it is only by making it difficult for us to pray that they can harm us. Other things will meet with success if we keep at it, but laboring at prayer is a war that will continue until we die.”