Old Unidentified Liturgy

Hey everyone,

Piekhristos Av Masf.

Can anyone give me some details on this awesome, old liturgy?

PK

Comments

• This sounds like odas el habashi, Its no longer allowed to be prayed in the coptic church. It is one of the many liturgies the ethiopians pray(this one is just translated to arabic). I do not have the text to this liturgy but someone might have it...It is beautiful none the less.
  • The title of the video is "odas el habashi", so i am going to guess that's the liturgy. Also, why is it not allowed to be prayed in the liturgy anymore?
  • Pope Shenouda only wants Copts to pray the 3 Coptic Lituries (St Basil, St Gregory, St. Cyril) because our liturgies are so amazing so why should we use one from another church? I dont think its a matter of which one is better or worse, but rather so that each church sticks to its own traditions
  • The Qudas al Habashy is the Liturgy of St. John the Beloved. There is nothing wrong with the liturgy its beutiful but we use the Liturgy of St. Mark in our Church (aka st Basil.)
  • [quote author=Pharaoh714 link=topic=10327.msg125853#msg125853 date=1293778818]
    The Qudas al Habashy is the Liturgy of St. John the Beloved. There is nothing wrong with the liturgy its beutiful but we use the Liturgy of St. Mark in our Church (aka st Basil.)

It actually is not the liturgy of St john. Its known as el mariamy if im not mistaken. And St marks liturgy is not st basil's its st cyrils
  • The liturgy is known to be the liturgy of Youhanna Ebn Elra'd, that is , the John the Son of Thunder; Mark 3:17 NKJ
    James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James, to whom He gave the name Boanerges, that is, "Sons of Thunder";
  • Interesting, I heard a liturgy called el mariamy in arabic as well. Does that mean that more than one ethiopian liturgy, at one point, was being prayed in our church?
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10327.msg125855#msg125855 date=1293778946]
    [quote author=Pharaoh714 link=topic=10327.msg125853#msg125853 date=1293778818]
    The Qudas al Habashy is the Liturgy of St. John the Beloved. There is nothing wrong with the liturgy its beutiful but we use the Liturgy of St. Mark in our Church (aka st Basil.)

It actually is not the liturgy of St john. Its known as el mariamy if im not mistaken. And St marks liturgy is not st basil's its st cyrils

Yes my mistake I meant to say St. Cyrils Liturgy.. but I always thaught thats st Johns liturgy.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10327.msg125857#msg125857 date=1293779365]
    Interesting, I heard a liturgy called el mariamy in arabic as well. Does that mean that more than one ethiopian liturgy, at one point, was being prayed in our church?

el-maryamy, as i remember, is another Ethiopian liturgy. it is not a coptic liturgy. was never prayed....but sometimes the anaphora text is there, so priests pray with it....that is until the Pope and the Synod thereafter limited the services to our 3 liturgies.
  • i really love this liturgy. Its very good for this time of year, talking about the incarnation with such depth.

PK
  • Is there an English translation for either of the two clips for the Arabic-deficient users on here such as me?
  • [quote author=DavidI link=topic=10327.msg125863#msg125863 date=1293781315]
    Is there an English translation for either of the two clips for the Arabic-deficient users on here such as me?

AND: the text for the entire liturgy(or liturgies) translated in English please?

• English translation
  • In my kholagy, there is the 3 liturgies and in the liturgy of st. Cyril, there area a few prayers of reconsiliation, one of which is written by ""the thrice-blessed John". Our abouna prays that and it is the ppt by St. George and St. Shenouda. I believe it is accepted.
    I heared that switching from liturgies is wrong and gregorian is supposed to only be prayed in special occasions... Is that right?
    GB, PFM,

Cyril
  • Dear Cyril97,
    I think I wouldn't say completely wrong, but I'd say an unpreferred practice. The main reason being addressing one of the Persons of the Trinity all throughout the liturgy and not saying one thing here, then one thing there, then back to where you stopped. Ideally speaking yes, Basilian for annual, and some fasting days, Gregorian for joyful days, and Cyrilian for Great Lent days.
  • btw. the priests name is Fr. Stephanos Rezk
  • PopeKyrillos, I love your picture
  • wait a second, i thought that st. marks wrote the original liturgy and then the basilian, gregorian and the st cyril litrugies were all derived from the liturgy st marks wrote. Correct??

please remember me in your prayers