Funny or embarrassing incidents at church

Comments

• This happened to one of my good friends.

He was still very young. It was the Litany of the Gospel and one of the older deacons told him to say "[coptic]Epiproceu,y[/coptic] bel farayhy".

So he went up and said exactly that: "[coptic]Epiproceu,y[/coptic] bel farayhy"
  • Once I was holding the candle and the cross with the lefafa beside the body...and there was a celling fan. The candle wasn't very good as  it went out very fast. So above my head was the fan that was blowing so hard(I was resisting from starting to fly away ;))
    The air was directed downwards so all you see it a young deacon that seems that he is holding a candle upside-down.
    The candle was burning out like a flash and no deacon noticed so I was torn between getting burned, holding a candle with no flame, or going to get a new candle(I think it is wrong to leave abouna)... I ended up getting a new candle but he finished before I arrived... (I didn't know the church well so I was looking for a candle the whole time)
    Boy was I embarressed...
    God bless, Pray for me to be less embarressed in church,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=7964.msg125472#msg125472 date=1293470950]
    There seems to me to be good spiritual and theological reasons for using a real flame. It symbolises so many things, it consumes the candle as an offering to God etc

Well if you think of it, if you use an electric candle, it has the same symbolisme... The battery is [glow=red,2,300]slowly consummed [/glow] as an offering to God... ;) ;D :P
  • this is a very odd topic. lol
  • With all do respect and with full regard my buddy, Cyril, the battery is not consumed. [Just chemically speaking] [That is a joke--spud]
  • Actually, one of the funnier scenarios that I encountered was at a parish, and a bishop was attending that day.  He was making remarks to the parish in English and wanted Abouna to translate into Arabic.  The priest kept repeating everything that the bishop said in English.  This happened about four times until the bishop changed to arabic and the priest did the same.  The priest was very nervous about the presence of the bishop and he lost track of the languages.  Sayedna finally got frustrated and told him I can do that also.
  • So he was translating into the same language with which the Bishop spoke? (ie: translating Arabic to Arabic)
  • Lol! Now THAT does sound funny.

I don't like laughter during the liturgy, and if something takes place we all try to recollect ourselves as quickly as possible. I guess I have dropped as many items as every one else in my time. Or said the priest's parts etc. Or set fire to things etc.

But ILSM's story is big time amusing.

Father Peter
  • It wasn't that funny.

I think Severus' comment on opening the curtain as Seyedna walked in was the funniest.
  • i had to go back to page 1 to find it.
    where r u these day severus? we miss yr posts  :(
    i think they r all funny. unfortunately it takes all my energy (when these things happen) to not laugh out loud in church, so i have no brain space left to remember what exactly happened!
    yesterday something funny nearly happened, due to an inattentive candle-bearer, but thank God the candle went out before lighting the cloth where the gospel was being read. just as well, i was about to jump out and save the life of the deacon  ;)
  • TITL,

I guess you had to be there.  What can I say?  Although, I did leave out some detail.  I am sorry to have not satiated your desire for humor for the day.

I will try for better, tomorrow. 
  • I am naturally bad at al7an, and one time, I was the only deacon who showed up for Asheya. Abouna decided to start and he regrets it... At some point he wanted me to read the Gospel and I ran out of the altar
  • HAHAHAHAHA, wow, u guys are sooooo........ etc. etc. etc. funny, i always thought of copts to b exptremely funny. Well yeh, ummm... this is my embaressing story
    We had to do this Nayrouz play thing (as we do every year at my church) for sunday school righht (but the whole church come and watches anyway {YAY FOR ME, I HAD THE WHOLE CHURCH COME AND WATCH}) Yeh well anyway, i was still i think in kindy or sumthing like that yeh and we had to go up there hold pictures of saints up and sing a hymn in front of everyone. yeh and so b4 we started, in the back the servant asked me and everyone else, "DOES ANY OF U NEED TO GO TO THE TOILET" well, umm... i didnt want to go without my mum (i had that thing where i thought i might fall in the toilet coz i am petit and all hahahah) and i didnt really want a servant coming with me, soooo... i stupidly did a really dumb thing and held it in... welll hmmm.... here comes the embarassing part where i went on stage (by this time i was really busting) and started singing (and dancing as i tried to hold it in, i think i was squirming like a worm) but yeh, too late the damage was done and i kinda peed my pants(or in that case my dress) on stage in front of everyone with a camera recording us. but i really feel sorry for the person that had to clean it up. hahahaha

yeh then the second part of this embarassing story is that a couple of months back it was the anniversary of one of our churches preists so they went and gathered all these old vids of him, one of the people gathering these vids went to the camp with us last year and guess wat they did, they showed us all the vids they gathered and yES one of them was that one wher i peed my pants :(  :'( but i am not sure what they did to the vid but at least they didnt show that part of me doing the peeing... hahah... yeh .. well now it doesnt seem as bad as it did b4 (wow i typed a lot hahahah me blabbing on) but yeh, still.... wont forget that for a while. mmm... soo yeh, i embaress my self a lot, just cant remember any others at the moment... sooo yeh.... welll...... cya.....

btw how many of u have watched BOOM BOOM BOW  egyptian remix...... its sooooooo funny, i actually know some of the pople in the vid, one of them was my sunday skool teacher a few years back... yeh... umm... if u dont know what i am talking about type boom boom bow egyptian remix into youtube and then prepare to laugh ur head off... sooo yeh... welll... now its really time to say....cya...
  • Wow, 10,000 views!
  • Two stories:

If anyone here attended the liturgy at the Philly "Competition" last year, they may remember this. There was a little child serving in the altar that day, and instead of saying, "You who are seated stand," he said, "You who are Jesus stand." All the deacons turned to each other for a moment to double check that they weren't hearing things and then started cracking up. I then turned slightly and saw and heard the entire congregation chuckling as well.

My church recently went on a retreat at a different church's retreat center. At my church, the priest usually gives the baraka directly to everyone, so of course we always kiss his hand. At the other church's liturgy, an older deacon was assigned to pass it out, and of course, without thinking, I naturally bent down to kiss hand as he gave me a piece, but I quickly realized what I was doing, stopped myself bent just half way, made awkward eye contact, took it, and walked away quickly. Of course I heard laughing right after that. Oy.
  • One time during the mass where you hold the cross in the air and microphone to your mouth and say ensofia, a deacon in our church held the microphone in the air and cross to his mouth and said ensofia.
  • [quote author=copt4eva link=topic=7964.msg130440#msg130440 date=1297403754]
    One time during the mass where you hold the cross in the air and microphone to your mouth and say ensofia, a deacon in our church held the microphone in the air and cross to his mouth and said ensofia.

hahaha!
  • these stories are amazing!
  • [quote author=coptic youth link=topic=7964.msg130447#msg130447 date=1297423213]
    these stories are amazing!

Yeah, lol, hahaha!
  • [quote author=I belong to Jesus link=topic=7964.msg130344#msg130344 date=1297324956]
    but i really feel sorry for the person that had to clean it up. hahahaha

I'm glad I'm not in your church, or else I would of had to clean it up for my community service, I'd rather stick to mopping up coke, lol.

I'm kidding, I remember when during a play I was doing in church a while ago, I had to go really badly, but I couldn't go until the party was over, I was going to explode, thankfully I didn't, but I'm a boy, it's different.
  • hahhaah, yeh, i wouldnt mind just cleaning up coke rather than my pee... jezze couldnt the pee have waited just a few more minutes until i got off the stage, hahahah.. welll.. anyway, cant change the past... btw what do u mean by ur a boy, its different? yeh welll anyway. cya
  • [quote author=I belong to Jesus link=topic=7964.msg130610#msg130610 date=1297574324]
    hahhaah, yeh, i wouldnt mind just cleaning up coke rather than my pee... jezze couldnt the pee have waited just a few more minutes until i got off the stage, hahahah.. welll.. anyway, cant change the past... btw what do u mean by ur a boy, its different? yeh welll anyway. cya

I can hold it in until My bladder explodes :P.
  • ohhh... hahahah. funny funny. hahah cya
  • I can't remember if this was NEW Years or the Feast of the Theopany a few years back. Anyway, the liturgy had started much later than scheduled, and I was incredibly tired. When we got to the prayer about the plants of the fields, etc it was me who said it, and when I got to the end I said "bring them to perfection in peace without farm..."

They still remember it.
  • Jimmy,

That is happening now.  You were being informative and prophetic, i.e., hydroponics.
  • Hahaha Crazzyy Storryy:

There was once this dude who had dressed as a deacon. It was during Good Friday, and he felt hungry. He ran outside tucked his tonia into his pants and went out and got a Hot Dog LOL
  • Wow, I haven't been on in a while and these new stories are cracking me up!!!
    Espcially:

[quote author=servant33 link=topic=7964.msg130442#msg130442 date=1297404204]
    [quote author=copt4eva link=topic=7964.msg130440#msg130440 date=1297403754]
    One time during the mass where you hold the cross in the air and microphone to your mouth and say ensofia, a deacon in our church held the microphone in the air and cross to his mouth and said ensofia.

hahaha!

Absolutely epic!!
    Oh, and about the candles...for those opposed to electric candles (no offense or anything..) but the covering on the alter was almost halfway burned a few weeks ago when a careless kid was bowing down with a lit candle tilted towards the altar...if his dad hadn't picked up his head and if abouna hadn't smelled the smoke, and if the father hadn't beaten the fire down with his hand...who knows what would have happened...

Back to funny stories :D
    Last week we had an abouna guest and he was TAAALLLLL!!!!! see, our abouna is pretty short...about 5' 4'' or 5' 5''...so this 7 foot abouna walks in and all the congregation who walks in afterward can't see my dad and they freak out like "eh dah?? abouna tiwel??!!" ("what is this?! abouna got taller?!") yeah...MAJOR growth spurt, folks..
    Now keep in mind, the church is built for average height people (its really a koshk...we'll be building soon though) so throughout the entire odass, the guest abouna kept bumping his taylasana (the triangle shaped hat) on the altar's frame as he went in and out of it!!! Don't even get me started on how it looked when he and our abouna stood next to eachother!!!
  • Every church day that i go to is very amusing because the deacons mix up the hymn and and i try not to laugh but that is hard since the projecter is under my control.

Also, all the younger deacons have tunias that are longer than they are and my sister, mom and i have a good laugh about it during the mass trying to make a scene.
    These people make church worth while and interesting to go to.
  • These are some of the funniest stories that i have ever heard of!
    God Bless You All
  • [quote author=rpm link=topic=7964.msg102863#msg102863 date=1241943321]
       My parents keep reminding me of an incident that causes me mild embarrassment. During my baptism, I was being carried in my grandpa's arms. As the prayers were being said, he (my grandpa) opened his mouth to sing an extended "Amen", and I relieved my bladder right into his open mouth. I guess many month-old kids do that.

hahahaahahahahahh