Restore the Monarchy!

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
This topic is more for Ethiopians or anyone who supports the crown.

The only Orthodox Royal family left is that of the Ethiopian. The Romanovs of Russia were all massacred by Lenin, leaving only Ethiopia as the true Orthodox Monarchy. When Haile Selassie I was deposed in the 70's by Mengistu Haile Mariam, a communist dictator, the rest of the family fled to exile in the USA and I believe England. There is a movement, and has been for some time, that is gaining momentum to restore the rightful rulers to Ethiopia, the monarchy. If anyone wishes to support the resotration please go to http://kebranagastparty.ning.com/ and sign up to become a party member. Please post any questions here.

Comments

• Most of the Orthodox countries in Eastern Europe still have royal families in exile. There are even claimants to the Byzantine Imperial throne.

Our own Prince Philip is a member of the Greek royal family, and he was brought up Orthodox. His sister is an Orthodox Abbess.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10285.msg125398#msg125398 date=1293399758]
    Most of the Orthodox countries in Eastern Europe still have royal families in exile. There are even claimants to the Byzantine Imperial throne.

Our own Prince Philip is a member of the Greek royal family, and he was brought up Orthodox. His sister is an Orthodox Abbess.

Father Peter

Thank you Fr. Peter! I was totally unaware of this fact. How do you feel about restoring monarchies?
  • Ioannes,

Bp Makarious (bishop in the Coptic and Eritrean Churches) is very good friends with the members of the Ethiopian monarchy in exile.  He baptized many of their children in Jersey City and Washington, D.C. over the years.  He has very interesting stories.
  • The funny thing is I have been an outspoken critic of Haile Selassie I, not that everything he ever did was horrible and wrong, but especially when witnessing to Rastafarians. I actually have an authentic picture of him that my ex-girlfriend gave to me, her dad is a child standing with him next to a royal chair. I actually sat in the chair in the museum in Addis, and got kicked out.
  • Generally most of the monarchies were modern, and the various European states were equally recent in origin. They were all part of either the Autro-Hungarian Empire, or the Ottoman Empire.

A constitutional monarchy may be the best form of government, but I am not sure that restoring what was in any case a new institution has the same value as restoring the Ethiopian monarchy.

Albania, for instance, became an independent principality in 1913, supported by the Western Powers. The crown was offered to H.H. Asquith, a British MP, who had been supportive of Albanian independence, but it eventually went to the German Prince William of Wied. The state collapsed at the beginning of the First World War and became Muslim governed. It was not until 1928 that Albania declared itself a kingdom and made the leading politician, Zogu, the first King Zog. Italy invaded Albania in 1938 and deposed King Zog. After the Second World War Albania fell under the communist rule of Enver Hoxha.

So what would it mean to restore the Albanian monarchy? It seems to me that it would not be a restoration, but a present choice of constitutional monarchy as the form of government.

Father Peter
  • there is no one in ethiopia that would go for that, haile silassie is not the problem. there are 80 diffrent ethnic groups who suferred greatly under the monarchy and not to mention millions of muslims wh ould never call a christian their king. its tooooooo late.
  • [quote author=kalsam link=topic=10285.msg125672#msg125672 date=1293628855]
    there is no one in ethiopia that would go for that, haile silassie is not the problem. there are 80 diffrent ethnic groups who suferred greatly under the monarchy and not to mention millions of muslims wh ould never call a christian their king. its tooooooo late.

That actually is untrue. The movement to restore the monarchy is gaining momentum, after the derg many people gained a proper understanding of suffering and realized that they did not suffer as a direct result of the monarchy, as marxists will repeat like mantras. I am not sure where you have received your information but it is inaccurate. The muslims, well who really cares what they think about a country that is inherently Christian. If they want to live in a islamic state, then go to Saudi Arabia.
  • I would never ever in a million years support the old monarchy to be back to power .
    Ionnes i don't even why you would think of such a thing  :o
  • BTW

What kalsam said was accurate .like he said  80 different ethnicities languished under his rule .i am not sure about the fight to restore monarchy momentum .Apart from a few confused rastafarians who want that back i have never heard of such a thing .Besides it is not even thier country so they don't have a say in this matter .besides they are always high lol so who takes them seriously .
  • Axum, people suffer no matter what, I would deny that. But did people suffer as a direct result of the monarchy, no. That is communist propaganda which overthrew Haile Selassie. Was Selassie a great leader, not in my opinion. If you are going to state something like this, which is judgment, then I think it would best to give your supporting data to prove it.
  • Growing up in ethiopia is proof enough.and Yes people did suffer as a direct result of the monarchy .I am not concerned about being judgemental or not because we are talking about facts and not judging .It is a recent history not a far off one that is passed by mouth only .
  • Axum, that is fine and as a student of history I am very much interested in these issues. Therefore I would like your sources that show clearly how exactly people suffered as a direct result of the monarchy. Of course we know Lij Iyasu, who converted to islam, did many horrible things and was eventually ousted and died of an STD. No system if perfect and I will never say that any of the monarchs were. But if you are speaking of recent history then I assume you are speaking of Haile Selassie I, and would like your sources not assumptions or perceptions. I too have lived in Ethiopia and most of my friends and family are from Ethiopia. I had a chance to learn many things from many brilliant people while in Ethiopia, this is why I question you and ask for your sources to prove what you say as truth.
  • There is noting more i have to add regarding this topic .
  • [quote author=axum link=topic=10285.msg126097#msg126097 date=1294013273]
    There is noting more i have to add regarding this topic .

Just be prepared axum, if you make a claim you have to back it up. I know the history of Ethiopia very well, I know what is derg propaganda and what is not. You cannot just blame every single thing that happens on the leader because it happened when he/she was leading, that is nonsensical. I know you have no sources, but I was hoping that you would have something since you made such a bold claim. Thanks!