44. St. Silas
45. St. Simon (Peter)
46. St. Nictarius
47. St. Sousennious
48. St. Shenousi
49. St. Ignatius of Antioch
50. St. Sarapamon
51. St. Numutius
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, you've all seen these before here! Time for another one!

Rules are simple: you post the name of a saint, and the last letter of the saint's name is used by the next person to post the name of the next saint. The association is purely alphabetical, and the aim of the game is to keep it going for as long as we can. When you quote the names of martyrs, that doesn't count as an "M" unless their name begins with an "M," or it's a collection of martyrs, e.g. the martyrs of Ekhmeem.

The whole point of this game as well as to enjoy ourselves (and try to make the longest saint chain ever done), is to share the names of some lesser known saints of the church! People can then look them up in the Synaxarium, and look up any of their sayings or writings for the collective edification of us all.

A problem with this game is going to be repetition: it will get harder as we go along, but please try and ensure that the saint you name hasn't come up before.

Oh, and do bold the saint's name. If you wish to in your post, tell us a bit about the saint, or post a link to the Synexarium, or mention a stanza from their doxology, or a miracle, r interesting fact, so that we all learn, and that the game stays interesting.

And no double-posting please, allow someone to post before you go again  :D

Let's get started:

"St. Anthony the Great - next letter is 'y'!"

Comments

• I thought you had the most crucial exam in the world tomorrow :P

I really hope you're not going to regret this..

St. Yustos
  • I'm revising from my online notes, I'm not always on tasbeha  :)

St. Severus of Antioch
  • St. Elijah? lol

No wait, just kidding.. Saint Elizabeth. Yes, I know they end with the same letter. Leave me alone.
  • Elijah the Prophet is valid!

St. Heracles the Martyr (Feast day 18th of Kiahk)
  • And no double-posting please, allow someone to post before you go again

Oh well, I guess ilovesaintmark can't participate.
  • Saint Sidhom Bishay....
  • St. Simon the Stylite (Feast day: 15th Bashans)

"On this day of the year 461 A.D., St. Simon departed. He was born in Antioch in 392 A.D. His father's name was John, and his mother's name was Martha. Many miraculous things happened because of him. Before his mother had conceived of him, St. John the Baptist appeared to her in a dream and told her of her conception and what he would become. At age sixteen, he became a monk in the mountain of Antioch, and he led a great ascetic life in worship and prayer. An angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and guided him in his monastic life to the life of St. Pachomius. He excelled in his worship to a level beyond the normal human level, so that he lived alone on a high place like a pillar, for 45 years, during which he ate grass.

This father wrote many useful ascetic teachings, and explained many church books. He departed in peace.

May his prayers be with us, and glory be to God forever. Amen."

[Source: http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/9_15.html#1]

• I'm going to assume "N" is the ending from Simon not "E" from stylite.

St. Nicodemus of the Gospel of St. John and of the burial of Our Lord.

Ref:  Hymn of Golgotha from Great Friday and the Gospel of St. John
  • St. Sebastian, Roman Pope long before the Schism.
  • Abba Nopher the Anchorite.
  • You beat me.....!!!!!

I was going to say...

St Ninian

A saint from Northern Britain who lived in the 4th-5th century and had his monastery at Whithorn in Galloway. He evangelised all of the area, and had a cave to which he would retreat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St_Ninian's_Cave_-_entrance.jpg

Father Peter
  • I must ask for an invalidation of Minagir's entry.  St. Nopher's proper name is Onophrius.  St. Nopher is the irregular Arabic add on.
  • Oh Oh, Fr. Peter used Wikipedia to make a reference.  What is the world coming to?
  • You double posted.. stop looking at the specks in people's eyes.

Saint Nehroua the Martyr

http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/3_7.html#2
  • That makes me the only person never to make reference with Wikipedia!

When I double post, I am answering myself--I have a split personality.
  • When you get to my age, and within my areas of knowledge, it is possible to discern whether Wikipedia is to be trusted on a particular topic.

It is the youth I fear for, who take Wiki as the truth and use it in their essays and papers. Lol!
  • St. Abel, the son of St. Adam, who is the son of God (as reckoned by the Gospel of St. Matthew).

• 5 new replies, rewritten TWICE  ::)

St. Longinus, Abbot of El-Zugag Monastery (Feast day 2nd Amsheer)

"On this day also, the pure saint Anba Longinus, the abbot of the El-Zugag monastery, departed. He was from Cilicia (in Asia Minor). He became a monk in one of the monasteries, where his father Lucianus became a monk after his wife had died.

When the abbot of this monastery departed, the monks wanted to appoint St. Lucianus an abbot over them, but he refused, for he shunned the vain glory of the world.

He took his son Longinus and went to Syria, where they lived in a church. God revealed their virtues by performing many miracles through them. For fear of the vain glory of this world, Longinus went to Egypt with his father's permission.

When he arrived, he went to the monastery of El-Zugag, west of Alexandria. The monks received him with joy. After the departure of the abbot, the monks appointed Anba Longinus abbot over them, for what they saw of his virtues and his good conduct. Shortly after, his father Lucianus came to him, and they worked together in making the canvas sails of boats, and sold them to support themselves. God performed many miracles and signs on their hands.

Father Lucianus departed from this world in peace, and shortly after, his son, Anba Longinus, departed also.

The prayers of these two saints be with us, and Glory be to our God forever. Amen"

[Source: http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/6_2.html#2]

• Saint Sarabamoun abo tarha (don't know the proper name in English, sorry)
  • [quote author=+Pistavros+ link=topic=10143.msg123983#msg123983 date=1291841546]
    Saint Sarabamoun abo tarha (don't know the proper name in English, sorry)

That would be Anba Sarapamon, known as "The Veiled" Bishop of El-Monofia (Feast day 28th Baramhat) [Source: http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/7_28.html#3].
  • Wikipedia never lies.
  • St. Nahum the Prophet.  I made a wide opening with the "M" now.
  • St. Moses

(lol i just laughed out loud from my comment.. man, im funny. you guys can ignore me, im going back to my nap)
  • Ah, why did I even bother posting rules? Egyptians never trouble themselves to read the instructions...

St. Moses (Moisees) (martyred with his sister Sarah) (Feast Day 26th Mesra)

"On this day, St. Moses (Moisees) and his righteous sister Sarah, were martyred. They were born to rich, Christian parents. When their parents departed, St. Moisees wanted to give his sister in marriage, and to hand over to her all their possessions, and to go and become a monk. She answered him and said, "If you would get married first, then I also can get married." He said, "I have committed many sins, and I want to become a monk to blot out my sins. I can not attend to the marriage and the salvation of my soul at the same time." She answered him saying, "O my brother, how can you cast me to the snares of this transitory world, while you seek to save your own soul?" He said, "Whatever you wish, I will do." She said, "What you do for your self, I likewise will do for myself."

When he saw her strong determination, he dispersed all their money to the poor and the needy. He took his sister to a convent for virgins, which was outside Alexandria. He also entered one of the monasteries for men. They did not see each other for ten years.

When Emperor Decius incited persecution against the Christians, during the papacy of Pope Demetrius, the twelfth Patriarch of Alexandria, many were martyred. St. Moses (Moisees) sent to his sister Sarah to bid her farewell and to inform her that he wished to shed his blood in the Name of the Lord Christ. She rose up immediately and asked the abbess to release her. After she took the blessings of her sisters the nuns, she joined her brother on his way to Alexandria. They confessed the Lord Christ before the governor. After they had been tortured severely, their heads were cut off, and they received the crowns of martyrdom.

May their prayers be with us. Amen."

[Source: http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/12_26.html#1]

Letter is S!
  • [quote author=Ιωσήφ Γαβριήλ link=topic=10143.msg123984#msg123984 date=1291841618]
    [quote author=+Pistavros+ link=topic=10143.msg123983#msg123983 date=1291841546]

That would be Anba Sarapamon, known as "The Veiled" Bishop of El-Monofia (Feast day 28th Baramhat) [Source: http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/7_28.html#3].

thank you Ιωσήφ!
  • Oh, the coincidence  :o

55 second gap.

[quote author=+Pistavros+ link=topic=10143.msg123990#msg123990 date=1291842272]
    [quote author=Ιωσήφ Γαβριήλ link=topic=10143.msg123984#msg123984 date=1291841618]
    [quote author=+Pistavros+ link=topic=10143.msg123983#msg123983 date=1291841546]

thank you Ιωσήφ!

It was thanks to the online Synexarium  :)
  • Saint Severus (Saweros), Patriarch of Antioch.

Ιωσήφ Γαβριήλ, stop just searching for names in the senixar.....
    i wanted to use the commemoration of saint from tasbeha but i don't want to.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=10143.msg123992#msg123992 date=1291842606]
    Saint Severus (Saweros), Patriarch of Antioch.

Ιωσήφ Γαβριήλ, stop just searching for names in the senixar.....
    i wanted to use the commemoration of saint from tasbeha but i don't want to.

Ok man, I'll ease off a little!

But do you use Psalmody, so that we learn of new saints we haven't heard of before  :)

And we've already had St. Severus.
  • St. Simon the Tanner