Entry of Turkey into the EU

2»

Comments

• I just came across this video of a Turkish professor (Ahmet Ansel) on a National French TV station.

What he says is CLEARLY disturbing and hateful. I cannot believe he has the audacity to speak like this!! He even teaches in France.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j96ih66z5rg

Its in French, so I will translate:

"....

Of course, when we see Europe from our side, there are many things in Europe that scare us, and I really don't want to be in this Europe. I don't want to be in a Christian Europe.

Notably, for me, I definately don't want to be in a Christian Europe.

If Europe is Christians we (the Turkish) will not be present there, and so we will fight against a Christian Europe".

So, this is worrying. Turkey IS islamic although the state is secular. This is not the same for Europe. in Europe, ALL states are secular, and the people are secular also.

• [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10096.msg123608#msg123608 date=1291650170]

But let's get back to our main point: What's in store for us if Turkey join the EU??

Nothing!  Modern turkey is a secular state that rejected the arabic script in favor of the latin one. Its modern founding father is the man who destroyed sharia courts in Turkey.He converted the haggia sophia from a Mosque into a museum.In terms of economy,Europe has much more to benefit from its memebership as the country lies in an important strategic location that connects two continents.Oil and gas pipelines pass through it.With the emegence of India and china as economic powers, it may serve  as a secure and reliable partner in making sure that the economic interest of the EU is maintained.Remember it is already a member of the G20 ,and that says a lot about its potential.Even the Greeks with their third world standards are part of the EU!

The UK supports the entry of Turkey in to the union.For now, the Germans ( for fear of more  immigarnts arriving on its soil and despite the fact that turks in germany contribute very much to the german GDP, 'kebab is the king") are opposing it.However, in the future, if the EU thinks having turkey in its club would make it more competetive against other powers, nothing will stop the turks from getting in.It is all about interest and profit.

In terms of religious concerns, modern turkey is no Ottoman empire! I would not oppose their membership as long as they recognize the armenian genocide and compensate the victims appropriately.My 2 cents/
  • Lol! The UK does not support the entry of Turkey into the EU.

Our political 'masters' would like to see this, but they are doing all they can to destroy our Christian heritage. If you asked most people in the street they do not want Turkey in the EU, and think that uncontrolled immigration into the UK over the last decade has brought us to the brink of social and cultural collapse.

Only 28% of all Europeans are in favour of Turkey joining the EU. Presently only 14% of British people are in favour of Turkey joining the EU. The fact that the leaders of the various parties in the UK all want Turkey to join show how out of touch they are with ordinary people. If Turkey joined the EU then 10 million Muslims could come to Britain the very next day. And millions of Pakistani's and other Muslims could gain citizenship in Turkey and then also be allowed to immediately come to the UK.

Father Peter
  • I get really happy inside whenever I see Fr. Peter say "lol", I don't know why.

This thread makes me hungry every time I open it.
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=10096.msg123647#msg123647 date=1291670546]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10096.msg123608#msg123608 date=1291650170]

But let's get back to our main point: What's in store for us if Turkey join the EU??

I would not oppose their membership as long as they recognize the armenian genocide and compensate the victims appropriately.My 2 cents/

I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon thanks to former Rep Dick Gebhardt.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10096.msg123653#msg123653 date=1291671154]
    I get really happy inside whenever I see Fr. Peter say "lol", I don't know why.

This thread makes me hungry every time I open it.

Go and make a foul sandwich. Or some molasses and bread.
  • You guys keep saying turkey.. not my fault. Molasses only tastes good with tahina (after eating foul).
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10096.msg123657#msg123657 date=1291671477]
    You guys keep saying turkey.. not my fault. Molasses only tastes good with tahina (after eating foul).

Not a tahina fan.
  • Fr Peter:

Here is a BBC link that says the US and UK are key supporters! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3682828.stm

Maybe ordinary folks oppose it,but where on earth do ordinary folks have a right to anything? For example,the present government is planning to hike tuition fees 3x ( sorry joe buddy,if it ever affects you)  and it is the average guy, mostly from poor background that is going to carry the burden of the debt the past generation amassed.So far the cries and protests of the future stakeholders has fallen on deaf ears. Fr Peter, I am afraid it is the few and rich that decide matters.If they feel turkey will be a goldmine sometime in the future,they wont bat an eye to allow it into the EU.

• Hezekiel,

You are right of course. But I sense that in the next few years we wil start to see more and more civil unrest, and increasing numbers of ordinary people coming out onto the streets to demonstrate against the political class which is generally acting without our consent.

Father Peter