Entry of Turkey into the EU

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Hi,

I'd like to know how you , as Coptic Christians, view the entry of Turkey in the EU? Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? I know that Pope Benedict was quite vocal that he felt Europe was not ready for Turkey, but if our Pope said anything like that, there would be mass killings in Egypt.

But what IS your view on this?

Before anyone here asks - what does this have to do with Christianity - well... simple:

Read this:

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/The-Turkish-government-now-recognises-us-officially,-says-Bartholomew-I-20131.html

The Turkish government FINALLY recognises the Orthodox patriarchate.

Could this be an important step for the growth of Christianity in that region? If Turkey was to be part of the EU, surely it would mean freedom of religion. Turks can't go around killing zealous evangelicals from standing on street corners saying "ARE YOU SAVED!??"

In fact, if Turkey does join the EU, I will actually pay these evangelicals a ticket to go to turkey and spread the good news: Islam is false and the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ.

Could this be a blessing in disguise for the Church, or not?

Comments

• I'm against Turkey in the EU, but I am against the EU in general.
  • [quote author=Aegyptian link=topic=10096.msg123386#msg123386 date=1291418485]
    I'm against Turkey in the EU, but I am against the EU in general.

Why?
  • It doesnt work. It does not bring economic stability.

The only 2 things independent European states need are:
    Open borders
    Free trade

We do not need a giant political collective with no internal democracy, no checks and balances. The collective is rigid. The Euro has brought instability. They want to collect taxes directly from citizens. They now decide for Ireland how to run the country. All very dangerous.

The bigger the EU, the worse.
  • The last thing Britain and Europe needs is 35-40 million with the legal right to settle anywhere in Europe. This would very quickly result in the Islamic domination of many European countries.

Turkey still will not face up to the fact that it killed 1.5 million Christians at the beginning of the last century, and in fact it is still against the law to even mention the Genocide in Turkey. Such a country is not suitable to be part of Europe. It has an entirely different, non-Christian, even anti-Christian, culture.

Father Peter
  • The Turks need to hear the cry of "Abel" from his grave.  [i.e., the slaughter of the Armenians, Coptics, Greeks, Syrians, Kurds, Serbs, etc.]  They should take care of that issue before they can apply to be members of the human race--forget about the EU.
  • I refuse to go to Turkish restaurants or to patronize anything that is Turkish.

I won't even call the espresso coffee:  "Turkish coffee".  I call it Armenian coffee.  I do that in social settings to make it a point.  The conversation usually ensues from that point.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10096.msg123390#msg123390 date=1291419151]
    The last thing Britain and Europe needs is 35-40 million with the legal right to settle anywhere in Europe. This would very quickly result in the Islamic domination of many European countries.

Turkey still will not face up to the fact that it killed 1.5 million Christians at the beginning of the last century, and in fact it is still against the law to even mention the Genocide in Turkey. Such a country is not suitable to be part of Europe. It has an entirely different, non-Christian, even anti-Christian, culture.

Father Peter

Well, I see your point. Its very valid indeed.

However, the Pope said: If something bad is about to happen:

Either He stops it from happening or
    He allows it to happen in order to change it to something good.

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10096.msg123391#msg123391 date=1291419434]
    The Turks need to hear the cry of "Abel" from his grave.  [i.e., the slaughter of the Armenians, Coptics, Greeks, Syrians, Kurds, Serbs, etc.]  They should take care of that issue before they can apply to be members of the human race--forget about the EU.

Very true ILSM,

But surely if they were accepted in the EU (and Britain is pushing for their entry BTW!!), then they'd have to rectify these issues with an apology. Surely they will not be allowed entry with the current state of affairs as they are? Its clear that there is religious discrimination in Turkey.

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10096.msg123392#msg123392 date=1291419531]
    I refuse to go to Turkish restaurants or to patronize anything that is Turkish.

I won't even call the espresso coffee:  "Turkish coffee".  I call it Armenian coffee.  I do that in social settings to make it a point.  The conversation usually ensues from that point.

Same here. my heart goes out to our Armenian brothers and sisters. We think we've suffered with Islam in Egypt. They have really suffered.
  • There is no religious persecution in Turkey.  That is too tame.  They like genocide better; it is a higher calling of evil.
  • Turkey wont join the EU.. the day it does Germany will leave the EU.

Germany does not want turks moving into their country.
  • i think i read somewhere online that they can't do that till 2013?
  • Pharoah714 there are already at least 2 million Turks living in Germany.
  • Some have estimated the number at 3.5 million.  The German government is trying to help them leave, legally and constitutionally,  after having brought them there for cheap labor, but the Turks do not want to leave.

The Turks are allowing for churches to be bombed and burned in Turkey to remove the last vestiges of Christianity that remain from the genocides (yes, that is plural--not a typo).  The Germans are not carrying out the same tact with the Turks.
  • This is a link to debate in the Austrian parliment reacting to the Turkish government's complaints about discrimination against Turkish nationals. 
    http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2010/12/one-way-street-tolerance.html
  • I was clapping as I was sitting at my computer. 
  • I want that parliamentarian to run for President in the United States.
  • (pst.. what does EU stand for?)

(thanks)
  • Oh I just googled it. European Union, in case anyone else was lost.

Ignore me.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10096.msg123438#msg123438 date=1291480496]
    I was clapping as I was sitting at my computer. 

That is exactly the way I acted.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10096.msg123422#msg123422 date=1291457492]
    Pharoah714 there are already at least 2 million Turks living in Germany.

Thats exactly my point. Germany does not want the rest of them to move to Germany they are already regretting it.

If turkey joins the EU Germany fears the rest of the Turks will move to Germany for better life and Germany fears that.
  • [quote author=Corvus link=topic=10096.msg123435#msg123435 date=1291472770]
    This is a link to debate in the Austrian parliment reacting to the Turkish government's complaints about discrimination against Turkish nationals. 

WOW....this just made may day...
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=10096.msg123457#msg123457 date=1291502236]
    [quote author=Corvus link=topic=10096.msg123435#msg123435 date=1291472770]
    This is a link to debate in the Austrian parliment reacting to the Turkish government's complaints about discrimination against Turkish nationals. 

WOW....this just made may day...

Ditto that. What a speaker!
  • God should be making your days, not debate videos.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10096.msg123459#msg123459 date=1291502585]
    God should be making your days, not debate videos.

It was a figure of speech  ::)

The man has guts, and kudos to him for telling it how it is. Hero.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10096.msg123459#msg123459 date=1291502585]

Well HE is always there....
  • I'm inspired to learn Austrian just so I can speak with the same fervor.  The inflection in the voice and the syllabelization are enough to make a statement and argument.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10096.msg123471#msg123471 date=1291513001]
    I'm inspired to learn Austrian just so I can speak with the same fervor.  The inflection in the voice and the syllabelization are enough to make a statement and argument.

Yes, German IS a great language..
  • [quote author=Ιωσήφ Γαβριήλ link=topic=10096.msg123460#msg123460 date=1291502767]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=10096.msg123459#msg123459 date=1291502585]

None of this was in the main news? Why not?
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10096.msg123581#msg123581 date=1291637963]
    [quote author=Ιωσήφ Γαβριήλ link=topic=10096.msg123460#msg123460 date=1291502767]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=10096.msg123459#msg123459 date=1291502585]

None of this was in the main news? Why not?

Probably because the only thing they've been reporting on the news here is how we only got 2 votes for the World Cup bid, and how much we're thrashing the Aussies at the Ashes.
  • You know what??

If there are no threats against this Austrian politician, nor against the Austrian government for his speech, this will set a precedence in Europe for other politicians to stop being so politically correct and just come out and say the truth.

But let's get back to our main point: What's in store for us if Turkey join the EU??
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10096.msg123608#msg123608 date=1291650170]
    You know what??

If there are no threats against this Austrian politician, nor against the Austrian government for his speech, this will set a precedence in Europe for other politicians to stop being so politically correct and just come out and say the truth.

But let's get back to our main point: What's in store for us if Turkey join the EU??

No good news at all. You'll be paying your taxes, which will fund Brussels, which will be spent on the Turkish government. Essentially, you will be indirectly funding atrocities sanctioned by the Turkish government against our Christian brethren living out there.