Adopting New Liturgies

Hey everyone,

So originally, our church formally accepted three liturgies (those of Saints Basil, Gregory, and Cyril), but at the same time, we acknowledged that there were other traditional liturgies, which although we did not adopt into the church, we view them as authentic. Examples of those liturgies include the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom (used in some of our sister churches), and also The Liturgy of Saint James (used in the British Orthodox Church, our daughter church). The Ethiopian Orthodox Church has 11 liturgies I believe. My question therefore is, does a Coptic priest have the right to pray other authentic liturgies from our sister/daughter churches in a coptic church?

PK

Comments

• NO :(
    the pope only lets us pray the big 3 :(
  • Did he actually ban us from using the other ones?
  • Quote from IloveSaintMark

"His Holiness, has put forward a Papal edict that no one is to use or carry out any Liturgies within the COC (excepting the British and French) for using anything other than the three Divine Liturgies ascribed to:  St. Mark/St. Cyril, St. Gregory of Nazianzus, and St. Basil.  There are no exceptions."
  • hmm, sounds kind of sketchy. Do we have a source for that?
  • What is sketchy about it?  It sounds pretty definitive.  The source is the Pope.  Ask any of the parish priests, they will confirm it.

BTW, the Ethiopians have 14 Liturgies not 11.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9998.msg122235#msg122235 date=1289788785]
    What is sketchy about it?  It sounds pretty definitive.  The source is the Pope.  Ask any of the parish priests, they will confirm it.

hehe....i was about to say that but thought i was wrong.

Pope Kyrillos, are you a priest?
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9998.msg122243#msg122243 date=1289792294]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9998.msg122235#msg122235 date=1289788785]
    What is sketchy about it?  It sounds pretty definitive.  The source is the Pope.  Ask any of the parish priests, they will confirm it.

hahaha Mina. Im not even close to being a priest. lol.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=9998.msg122244#msg122244 date=1289793749]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=9998.msg122243#msg122243 date=1289792294]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9998.msg122235#msg122235 date=1289788785]

hahaha Mina. Im not even close to being a priest. lol.

ok than.....then trust what we are saying. we can't just make up something like this.
  • everyone else seems to question the validity of everything people say on this site. Not exactly sure why I'm the only one being being questioned for questioning.
  • Actually, the reason why I can be definitive is that this came up in one of the Priest Seminars with His Holiness in Massachusetts at the Vineyard.  This is why the priests are privy to the matter on a personal basis.  His Holiness instructions are quite specific, and with no room for any other interpretation.

I will tell you, also, you may drop a quick e-mail to Bp Youssef, Bp David, or Bp Serapion.  They will confirm--I have no doubt.

Unfortunately, there isn't a printed list and encyclical from which to reference.  I think the simplest thing would be to ask your parish priest.  Relative to His Holiness, the topic is not open for discussion.