The BEST Coptic Hymn

edited November 2010 in Hymns Discussion
Hi everyone,

I was at work, working late actually, when a colleague of mine asked me if he could play some music.

I said "sure.. go ahead".

Anyway, he started to play gregorian chants.. lol. I thought it was cute because he's a bit of a party boy. But I told him that the Coptic Church's hymns are really quite funky and he should listen to some. He asked me to play some. But I want him to hear the BEST hymn we have:

Best in terms of :

* Recording quality
* music/melody
* preferably with instruments

What hymn would you choose?

Do we have anything like that??

What hymn would you choose to show off the beautiful hymns we have in our Church. Of course they are all nice, but - he's going to be more interested in the melody, not the meaning. I doubt he's going to stand up and pray to it, he just finds religious music relaxing.

I listened to a few hymns from this site, and the recording isn't that good.

Comments

• My choice would be "Ep-oro" in its processional tune. The following clip from YouTube demonstrates it well.

If you find a better quality version of this recording, I think it would suit your purpose. The "oud" instrument makes it sound nice.
  • Agios Yesteen!

ALL my friends love it, even if they're not of a coptic hymns type of person, they love it... the tune is way too unique, regardless all of the stuff I've read about it being "the banned hymn".. it's something gotta do with the words being wrong or something so I guess, this is perfect for your friend lol. I still research on this issue so much that when I tried to bring up this conversation to people at church and I was totally ignored.. I guess it's a sign..
    I then tried introducing Rashi ne to a person who loves Agios Yesteen and they didn't like it as much as Agios Yesteen.. so hard to convince someone to like something that you like... I guess it never works that way with hymns.. Hymns are awesome anyways.

I think the one in this album is good.. 3rd track down:
    http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Songs/English/Trinity_-_Via_Dolorosa.html

Have Fun

• Thanks Mikhail.

That's a good idea.

Mechaeil, i like your idea too, except that I cant play youtube at work.
  • eflogimenos on this website is amazing!
    http://www.saintmina-holmdel.org/Multimedia/index.php
    & the rest of the hymns lol
    theyre all so amazing i wouldnt be able to pick
  • Here are a few of my favorites:

1.  Epouro

2.  Shere ne Maria (Sunday Theotokia after the Gospel of St. Luke reading)  Syrian Monastery.

3.  Aspasmos Watos--Sunday-- O Lord God of Powers.

4.  The Entire Divine Liturgy of St. Gregory as offered by the thrice blessed of memory:  Metropolitan Benyamin of Monoufiyah (from the 60's).  IT IS HEAVENLY!

5.  Golgotha

Do not play anything from Ibrahim Ayad, he sounds like he is having a sinus attack.  The nasal intonations are not at all palatable for the Western ear.
  • Thanks everyone,

If you have a good suggestion, could you kindly post the MP3 link to where it can be downloaded?

Thanks
  • WOW.....i can tell you my favorite HYMN but can't provide a link.
    i like many things:
    "hoos erof" great (at end of 3rd hoos)
    "Aven pi-arshi" long at end of sunday theotokia
    "Evol Hiten" long at end of aven pi-arshi--mostly said in kiahk only--and not much know about it :D. i have one of the best recordings of this with Ibrahim Ayad and Antoun and their chorus (niangelos)
    almost all kiahk hymns and mostly "the Sherat" into it's 4 special tune and all the roumi and mo'aqqap parts.
    festive sherat of all feasts
    etav-enni-eskhay of the feast of the Cross.
    there are a couple of great aspasmoses (watos and adam) that i like out there....including the annual watos as ilsm said......but in COPTIC  ;)...realy hard in coptic actually.
    many hymns in holy week "pekethornos" of course, tai-shory, omonogenees.

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9976.msg121965#msg121965 date=1289404838]
    4.  The Entire Divine Liturgy of St. Gregory as offered by the thrice blessed of memory:  Metropolitan Benyamin of Monoufiyah (from the 60's).  IT IS HEAVENLY!

i heard about that liturgy and probably listened to parts of it.....but i want a copy please.
  • Our Church Hymns are all very beautiful, my suggestion is:

1. Ari Ho o Chasf (Midnight Praise)
    2. Tenen
    3. Tenthino (long)
    4. Long Praxis Response (Shere)
    5. Ariprasvavin (Glorification)
    6. Shere The o toke (Long), (Glorification)
    7. Annual Psalmos Watos (Ptchoic EFnooty)
    8. Tai Shory (Sad Tune, Paskha)
    9. The parts of the Romy (Kiahk Vespers)
    10. Ti-Galili_A (Feast of the entry of our lord Jesus to Egypt).
    11. O Nishty Emmestireyon (Great Lent)
    12. Kireyeleyson (Great Lent Week Days)

Hope this helps
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9976.msg121976#msg121976 date=1289412486]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9976.msg121965#msg121965 date=1289404838]

i heard about that liturgy and probably listened to parts of it.....but i want a copy please.

Me too please, if its available :)
  • why not use this opportunity to talk to him about our church?
  • what about "of all nations" and I think it is called "dont leave me alone" they are both located in the spiritual songs section in the english folder the first folder there, actually the first folder there totally is all good. well anyway. cya
  • [quote author=I belong to Jesus link=topic=9976.msg122061#msg122061 date=1289548649]
    what about "of all nations" and I think it is called "dont leave me alone" they are both located in the spiritual songs section in the english folder the first folder there, actually the first folder there totally is all good. well anyway. cya

I've never really heard of this. If he's working tonight, I'll find it.

I think i will have to work late today anyway.

@the_least.

We talk often about religion. I'm always telling him how lucky we were to have the crusades (lol) (Joking for Epchoise Nai Nan).

What exactly do I mention? I told him that we are from Saint Mark.What else can I say?

He's a bit of a party boy - I've been trying to convince him to get married lately. But as I said, I wanted to show the BEST of our Church hymns - and I won't get much of a chance to do this. Its not every day someone asks to listen to your Church music. Is it?

I think Agios Yestin (although not Coptic) seems to be the best one so far.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9976.msg122064#msg122064 date=1289552547]
    I think Agios Yestin (although not Coptic) seems to be the best one so far.

Yes, well I thought very deeply into this.. I didn't list my favourite hymns, rather the one hymn that I thought non-copts would actually like as a general first time hymn introduction to coptic hymns.
  • of all nations is here:
    http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Songs/English/Coptic_Hymns_and_Spiritual_Songs_1.html
    i love it lots and lots.
    but my all time favourite (coz i loved it before i became coptic and it was one of those moments when i knew i would end up joining the church) is thoak ta te gom (your's in the power and the glory etc), it's just awesome. i don't have a link though. and maybe it's best heard in church with lots of people singing loudly (not necessarily in tune) - the power of the song is in the joyfully praise of many people to our God  :)
  • I LOVE THOK TA TE GOM. ITS THE BEST
  • I had my friend from school listen to the Great Hoos. She didn't like that.
  • OK.. maybe the best question to ask is:

What Coptic hymn have you played to a friend who is not Coptic, and they have NOT liked it??

I played to them Arepsalin.. and that went down well, they even danced an Irish jig to it.
    I played Golgotha, and they found that extremely moving.

Agios Athanatos Nainan was the killer.. that really went down well - lol.

Remember those days when I'd be begging you if we could sing it in Church ?? lol.. the only people that want to hear it are atheists.
  • Zoxsasi,

Each person has different tastes.  Granted, some better than others.  Nonetheless, they are tastes--sometimes acquired.

It sweetens things if you make them a cup of espresso and add baklava. 

I would tell you to stay away from anything nasal.  You know who I'm takin' about.

Agios Athanatos NaiNan is a goody.  If your church does not do it, come over to the Colonies.  We are progressive.  We like those obscure chants that the Continentalists do not.  Actually, England is not a continent, but an island that thinks it is a continent.

BTW, I'm sipping tea and a slice of cheese cake.  I can't afford espresso and balava.  The cheese cake is three weeks old (and I'm not kidding).

I have to admit Sasi, you are a funny guy, and even funnier for putting up with my comments.

N.B.:  There is no such thing as an atheist.  The inner soul knows exactly where it came from regardless of how the mind and the body try to deny the Existence of the Almighty.  The reason why they are moved is because the soul is awakened with the "NaiNan" part:  'have mercy on us'.

P.S.:  Let me know if you want me to send you over a slice of my three-week old cheesecake.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9976.msg122121#msg122121 date=1289644835]
    Remember those days when I'd be begging you if we could sing it in Church ?? lol.. the only people that want to hear it are atheists.

wait.....so you ARE that old friend... ok. just confirmed speculations.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9976.msg122122#msg122122 date=1289654297]
    Agios Athanatos NaiNan is a goody.  If your church does not do it, come over to the Colonies.  We are progressive.  We like those obscure chants that the Continentalists do not.  Actually, England is not a continent, but an island that thinks it is a continent.

nononono he wants to say it 'ALATOOL....all the time in church and not only on Bright Saturday. even though the tune is exactly like Afti-emip-onof.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9976.msg122149#msg122149 date=1289674374]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9976.msg122122#msg122122 date=1289654297]

nononono he wants to say it 'ALATOOL....all the time in church and not only on Bright Saturday. even though the tune is exactly like Afti-emip-onof.

Not again... Here comes the "Ibo vs Anba Youannes debate" again. I would like some 3 week old cheesecake for this.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=9976.msg122159#msg122159 date=1289675267]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=9976.msg122149#msg122149 date=1289674374]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9976.msg122122#msg122122 date=1289654297]

Not again... Here comes the "Ibo vs Anba Youannes debate" again. I would like some 3 week old cheesecake for this.

oh....so i am not the only one who remembers this.
  • I'm not privy to the debate.  I do not know what upheaval I have started.

Forgive me Minagir, for I know not what I am posting.
  • BTW, once you get past scraping the fungus off the top of the 3-week old cheesecake, it tastes really good.
  • You didn't start anything. Mina had to go and bring up Afti emeponof again. Thanks Mina.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=9976.msg122170#msg122170 date=1289678940]
    You didn't start anything. Mina had to go and bring up Afti emeponof again. Thanks Mina.

hey....i love that madeha very much.....just the way it is.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9976.msg122122#msg122122 date=1289654297]

I would tell you to stay away from anything nasal.  You know who I'm takin' about.

I know exactly who you are talking about.

Lol.. dude, there was an episode on CTV where Anba Raphael was sitting around a table with a few children. Each child presented to him the hymns that they had learnt. (it was a solo job).

Anyway, this one kid sang, and H.G said to him "... yeah, not bad, but try not to sing from your nose".
    I thought it was funny, and then H.G made the nasal sound "unnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" - then this really had me laughing.
    He said "Why do you make that sound from your nose .UNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn??"

Oh man.. too funny.

We need that! People need to learn FREESTYLING in prayer.

So basically what happened was this (to keep you up to speed): I asked a simple question: Can we do Agios Athanatos Nainan instead of Afti-Emeponof? Everyone complained.. it was SUCH a simple question. It was such an innocent question. But rather than just say No, or "OK.. that's interesting, but I think you should stick to the schedule set out by the Church, I felt I was being excommunicated for heresy.

Later on, after some time, I then had a dream... I was having a shower and singing Agios Athanatos Nai nan... Soap bubbles were everywhere, the birds were singing outside, the sun was shining and I was having a great time, when all of a sudden I heard this voice tell me: "Excuse me, but you cannot sing that here".

I stopped and said "Lord, is that You?", then the voice replied :"No.. this is the admin from Tasbeha.org. Please stop immediately."

That's what happened. That's how much these people scared me. I mean ITS JUST a hymn!!!

Anyway, we had this huge debate if it REALLY sounds like Afti-Emeponoff... which, I kinda disagreed with. Anyway, that's history. I just do what I want to do without telling anyone on here.

BTW, I'm sipping tea and a slice of cheese cake.  I can't afford espresso and balava.  The cheese cake is three weeks old (and I'm not kidding).

I have to admit Sasi, you are a funny guy, and even funnier for putting up with my comments.

No, that's called virtuous.

N.B.:  There is no such thing as an atheist.  The inner soul knows exactly where it came from regardless of how the mind and the body try to deny the Existence of the Almighty.  The reason why they are moved is because the soul is awakened with the "NaiNan" part:  'have mercy on us'.

P.S.:  Let me know if you want me to send you over a slice of my three-week old cheesecake.

Cheesecake is really big over there.. isn't it? I had my 1st cheesecake when I was in Canada. I never had it before in Europe.

Anyway mate: I am French, we have Peche Melba, Pain Perdu, Creme brulé, so God has spared me from the poor fate you have of bad cuisine in the US.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9976.msg122173#msg122173 date=1289680267]
    I mean ITS JUST a hymn!!!

Arius spread out his heresy through hymns to people in the se3eed.
  • The lyrics were the problem Mina  :P