Hymns for dummies (me)

Hey y'all.  I'm a pretty recent American protestant convert and I'm still in the beginning stages of learning Coptic hymns and congregational responses.  This is a difficult thing for me sometimes, since the melodies and progressions of Coptic hymns are unlike anything I ever listened to before I found the Church.  I have a pretty good musical ear and I picked up a few things just from attending Liturgies, but now I've begun a more systematic approach- but I need some advice on the best way to go about this process.  I want to start with the basic hymns that are used regularly in the Liturgy of St. Basil.  Tai Shouri is up next on my list, but where should I go from there?  And beyond that, can you give any advice on some methods/hints/tips/tricks that might be particularly helpful in learning Coptic hymns?

P.S. I've already got "Agios" down, so don't worry about that  :)  haha

Comments

• I think the best way is to listen to some recordings of liturgies.. if you're just looking at only the Liturgy in english than get a recording that's majority is in english, or a mix of english and coptic.. whatever. I reckon you should listen to at least more than 1 recording. I think listening to a recording is much better way to learn hymns of the liturgy especially if you wanna know the most correct way and that way you know what goes down when the priest decides to remix some Je Nai Nan in there or some differences with the seasons.. Usually recordings of liturgies are from random seasons and therefore a little bit of different tunes (like the Gospel responses in Palm Sunday or in Lent for example).. It might get confusing at first.. but start with one recording.. listen to it a few times in the car, or ipod or whatever, and one last time have a liturgy book with you to follow.. and then do the same with another recording etc.
    Agios is great for a first step coz it's one of the general stuff.. Tai Shori is awesome too.. but a huge step :P
    I think you could start with the Kireyalaysons and congregation "responses" over seasonal hymns.
    Don't worry, with much repetition you'll pick it up and you be able to FEEL it in the liturgy!
    I feel somewhat excited for you, It's the best feeling, being a beginner in Coptic Hymns, more specifically the Liturgy.. you feel it so much more than someone who knows the liturgy back to front.. and you'll DEF. learn something new EVERY time you attend a liturgy. I still do, it's awesome!
    Good Luck
  • Hello mteverett322

I don't have an advice about the hymns but I wanted to welcome you to the Coptic Orthodox Church.  ;D :D
    God bless
    Ebnyasoo3
  • [quote author=mteverett322 link=topic=9972.msg121916#msg121916 date=1289353834]
    Hey y'all.  I'm a pretty recent American protestant convert and I'm still in the beginning stages of learning Coptic hymns and congregational responses.  This is a difficult thing for me sometimes, since the melodies and progressions of Coptic hymns are unlike anything I ever listened to before I found the Church.  I have a pretty good musical ear and I picked up a few things just from attending Liturgies, but now I've begun a more systematic approach- but I need some advice on the best way to go about this process.  I want to start with the basic hymns that are used regularly in the Liturgy of St. Basil.  Tai Shouri is up next on my list, but where should I go from there?  And beyond that, can you give any advice on some methods/hints/tips/tricks that might be particularly helpful in learning Coptic hymns?

P.S. I've already got "Agios" down, so don't worry about that   :)   haha

it's great to first learn the congregation responses....in english and coptic and maybe arabic....then some major hymns in the liturgy. most of those do not require much coptic (as a script) background. many of them are short lines that can easily be transliterated in english for you. but if you wanna go farther, you'd have to learn coptic as a language. 
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9972.msg121929#msg121929 date=1289359672]
    but if you wanna go farther, you'd have to learn coptic as a language. 

Lol that's the last thing you'd do! But before you learn coptic as a language it'd be easier to learn the Coptic letters incase you find yourself stuck with a Coptic/Arabic book LOL.. that's one way I have been forced to learn coptic letters.. Mannnnn it helps! but this is probably your step 2 after getting down with the congregation responses and the annual liturgical hymns.. It's good to learn in any and every way in the liturgy than to get bored, it's much enjoyable. And the best thing you do is have a pencil and notepad with you at every church service. It's what I do in Passion week every year... I sit there in my awesomness way writing as many awesome notes as possible in my awesome pascha book, and it's there every year and I add to it every year.
  • [quote author=Mikhail™ link=topic=9972.msg121931#msg121931 date=1289361384]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=9972.msg121929#msg121929 date=1289359672]
    but if you wanna go farther, you'd have to learn coptic as a language. 

Lol that's the last thing you'd do! But before you learn coptic as a language it'd be easier to learn the Coptic letters incase you find yourself stuck with a Coptic/Arabic book LOL.. that's one way I have been forced to learn coptic letters.. Mannnnn it helps! but this is probably your step 2 after getting down with the congregation responses and the annual liturgical hymns.. It's good to learn in any and every way in the liturgy than to get bored, it's much enjoyable. And the best thing you do is have a pencil and notepad with you at every church service. It's what I do in Passion week every year... I sit there in my awesomness way writing as many awesome notes as possible in my awesome pascha book, and it's there every year and I add to it every year.

well that's what i meant.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9972.msg121933#msg121933 date=1289362918]

Meaning is not saying.
  • Most of the hymns are on Youtube.

Tai Shouri-

Agios-

Psalm 150-

Epouro-

O- Kerious

He-teni -
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ssicvrith#p/u/43/eclRQTP_QYA

Welcome to the Orthodox Church, I hope these hymns help. May Christ increase your understanding and shower you with Love.
  • [quote author=Mikhail™ link=topic=9972.msg121935#msg121935 date=1289364553]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=9972.msg121933#msg121933 date=1289362918]

Meaning is not saying.

well that's why you are there  :)
  • Welcome to the Church!

Like Pharaoh714 said, there are a lot of Coptic Hymns on Youtube. It takes some time to learn them, but for me it helped that I just put them on my Ipod and listen to them during travel etc. Good luck :-)

God bless you.
  • Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and the links!  :)  Something that is especially helpful for me is having the Coptic lyrics phonetically spelled out with English letters.  That enables me to really follow what's being said.  It's easier to learn a tune when you know the lyrics, like some of you guys said!  Luckily, that is available on this site for Tai Shouri (the one I'm trying to learn right now), but it's not available for other hymns.  Don't be surprised when I post, looking for you guys to give me some phonetic lyric transcriptions!  :)
  • Don't ask Zoxsasi for that stuff, he is a fanatic not a phonetic.  Just a joke, Sasi man.
  • [quote author=mteverett322 link=topic=9972.msg122049#msg122049 date=1289522266]
    Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and the links!  :)  Something that is especially helpful for me is having the Coptic lyrics phonetically spelled out with English letters.  That enables me to really follow what's being said.  It's easier to learn a tune when you know the lyrics, like some of you guys said!  Luckily, that is available on this site for Tai Shouri (the one I'm trying to learn right now), but it's not available for other hymns.  Don't be surprised when I post, looking for you guys to give me some phonetic lyric transcriptions!  :)

anytime.....
  • hi, welcome!
    yeah, it's impossible to follow the hymns until you've worked out the special egyptian tunes!
    you are reading the second verse, trying to work out what word they are on, and they are singing;
    aa-aaa-aaa-aaa-aaa-aaaa-aaa-eee-eeee
    which is the second syllable of the third word on the first line of the first verse!

then when u think u are getting better at it, u realise the 3rd and 4th verses are sang in a single breath, and you're behind again!

just as well our faith teaches us to persevere in faith and patience  ;)
    as a fairly new copt myself i know some songs but don't have any transliterations saved electronically. if u can think of 1 or 2 songs which u heard that u need the words, feel free to send me a p.m.
    do u know doxa patri (glory to the Father)?
    doxa patri ke eo ke agio pnevmati
    ke a nin ke a ee ke es toas e onas toan e onon amin

glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit
    now and forever and unto the age of all ages amen

the hymns take ages to learn, well done for doing this!  :)
  • Put your five loaves and two fish into the hands of God, he will bless your efforts and eventually the hymns will become second nature to you. Welcome  to the Church!    ;D