HEEELLPPP PPLLEEASSSEEEE

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I posted Proverbs 3:5-6 on my facebook and then a friend sent me the message under it...how should i respond???

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

to live as if we were to trust in the unseen (faith) is to live blindly, with humanistic hope. all we have is an idea of an idea [G-d], and for some that is enough to "trust" in but it isn't for most of the world.
Do you think it would be better be to a Christ-like non-christian, or a Non-Christ like Christian?
Should we live to trust in all the unseen? Or just what we think/want/believe? Isn't that dependent on us and therefore not truly or necessarily there?
Faith is an idea, a hope, a trust, a desire, mixed with a man vs self relationship. If there are divine wonders invovled, then so be it lol no one will ever "know".
that quote is impossible to live by, because we aren't then living by faith, but by expectation, manipulation or obligation... i mean we can trust in our ideas of god, and christ, and every other "god" out there, but does that change anything? Wouldn't it be the same thing as trusting in a higher version of self, a self-actualized state of being?? I find it actually more enlightening to picture a perfect me, and aim for that even though it's intangible. The aim for perfection is enough for the world, and if we all did that God wouldn't have a purpose. I mean we always give OUR lives purpose (protestantism) but do we give God purpose?
What is your purpose for him? Is he independent of us or are we dependent on him? Either way we're in no place to trust anything that leaves us in either place.

We try to humanize God, and I get that, you're a Christian, and that's cool I think it's a great thing for the world, but in every part of that quote you can just apply it to yourself. (trust in yourself and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge life, love, beauty, and your path will be as straight as it should be if there were or weren't a god." Straight paths are boring anyways. I like a challenge, and I like to challenge people.

There is much we don't know, and its being comfortable with the unknown, trusting in that, (with accepting the possibility that god might not be "real", or the way we think)
that allows for courage, strength, and hope. I don't see where choosing God over anything benefits the mind. Do you? (I'm speaking from a philosophical perspective and not a religious one here so please don't respond with an over-spiritual defense lol I'm really looking for your humble honesty)

One of the biggest things in this world I wish I could change were the amount of fear (in certain things) and the amount of humble love (in all things) and I think having ONE faith narrows your reach, and creates a barrier between humanity. If God is truly the highest unintelligible form of perfection, then we won't have any idea of it. (at least a sustainably accurate one) And thinking one faith is more right than another, or true, is a preposterous way of addressing the hate in this world. It's having ONE faith, in what is not known or ever to be known, outside of religions, that allows for true loving freedom and respect. Or at least that seems to be a more ideal world. (And if you're not living for this world but the one you believe is after, then again youre trusting in an unknown you've already decided is there, and living for that while disregarding the only true known life we have is convincingly regrettable.

Comments

• There are several points you could respectfully respond with:

1. God is not a feeling or an emotional crutch - He is an entirely external being that exists independently of our own feelings. Belief in Him is not a question of comfort or feeling, it is one of history and truth
    2. 'Faith' is not belief in the imaginary, true faith is merely trust in God - at least that's how Jesus used the concept. You do not have 'faith' that God exists, you have evidence. You have faith that He loves and cares for you.
    3. Philosophically speaking, if there is no God, there is no meaning to life - our search to find meaning is an illusion. Why should we bother 'self-actualising' at all? The universe will end up cold and dead anyway. On the other hand, the fact that we have any concept of meaning at all is an indication that meaning is not an illusion.
    4. Religions are mutually exclusive - they make claims which are irreconcilable. While it may be politically incorrect to insist that one's faith is more valid than another, it is not a question of political correctness - it is a question of truth. Respectful disagreement is a healthy thing, but we have good reasons to believe that our faith is true (reasons rooted in philosophy, history and science) which we feel is stronger than that tendered by other religions.

PFM
  • This extract is by a bishop, u ca find it at http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=1344&catid=637

Mercy, compassion, peace, truth, sacrifice, love, justice, perseverance, hope, forgiveness, righteousness, and eternal life are all in the beautiful and divine hands of our Lord Jesus Christ only. The Almighty loving God, who is above all time, has appeared in the flesh to lessen our burdens and fulfill His promises. What other concept of a god can even compare? Atheism, with all its self-proclaimed intellect, pathetically attempts to replace the true God with a temporary deception of inferior knowledge and self-reliance. People admire celebrities who model charity, parents who sacrifice for their children, authorities who parade humility, officials who exhibit justice, dignitaries who design treaties for peace, and highlight every occasion that alludes to a better human race, but shun the answer of a perfect God Who has placed in the hearts of humans an intangible desire of change for the better. Jesus Christ is the only God Who is distinguished with every noble quality. Throughout time, what other figure has changed the world as did our Lord Jesus Christ? He purposely lived a simple life and chose unpretentious disciples to share the Good News. In His meekness, He has enriched us; while Atheism has inflated the mind but impoverished the soul. Note the altruistic actions of a child untainted by the corruption and cynicism of the vanities of the world. We are God's children, so blessed and grateful to have a God, Who is above all time and has appeared in the flesh to pay our debts and restore us back to Him.     

http://www.suscopts.org/resources/literature/547/atheism/

In "Mere Christianity", C.S. Lewis' writes:
    "As an atheist, my argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?"

--> Atheists are naturally offended by the Bible's declaration that "the fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God'" (Ps 14:1a; 53:1a).

--> The meaning of this statement is not that atheists are stupid or lacking in intelligence, but that the denial of God is evidence of the moral corruption in their thinking.

--> This statement is not aimed solely at atheists per se. The very next lines assert that "there is none who does good" and that they have all "become corrupt" (Ps 14:1).

--> The folly or foolishness of atheism, then, is ultimately turning away from the true and living God and following a path of our own choosing.

Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist. --C. S. Lewis

A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower. --C.S. Lewis

I believe in God as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. --C. S. Lewis

I see this last statement as meaning, the by believing and trusting in the higher power (being God), we can attain the so called self-actualiaztion; by understanding our TRUE purpose in life i.e to be truly united with God.
  • great posts.
    looks like yr friend is quite confused.
    i found the main thing no other religion can even pretend to have that we have is forgiveness.
    i was at a country fair once and a lady was selling 'healing crystals' (new age beliefs).
    there was one for wealth, one for happiness, one for calm and tranquility etc. i asked her if she had one that takes away guilt. she was initially surprised at the question but then was thoughtful and said, 'no, that would be really good!'
    we all feel guilt, only Jesus brings forgiveness.