Academic Anxiety..I need advice!

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hello all!

Ever since I was literally in JK, I've been anxious about school. I have the same feelings of anxiety about school now (4th year student in UNIVERSITY!), as I did then.  I think I may have some sort of anxiety disorder at this point! I don't know where it comes from and I feel so crippled by it. I get so anxious that I avoid anything to do with school which in turn causes me more anxiety. I just don't know what to do.

How can I face my fears of failure and commitment? That's what I think it boils down to, I think I can't do it and I feel like I shouldn't even be in university, that I'm not smart enough or witty enough... I feel like everyone can see that I don't belong, even though I do pretty well I guess.

I don't know what my talent is yet, or maybe I'm just scared of using my talent? I don't know..all I know is the anxiety is kicking into high gear and I want this year to be different, any practical advice other than praying about it because I do.. I REALLY DO with all my heart.

thank you :)

-mary

Comments

• I also have an anxiety disorder - I've had it since I was a young teenager. I would recommend that you get it diagnosed - just go see a doctor, a GP should be able to tell you for sure the severity and type of disorder. From what you said, it sounds like you have what I have: Generalised Anxiety Disorder. You should Google it and see if it fits your symptoms well.

If you get it diagnosed, the doctor will give you methods for treating it - mental exercises and deep breathing stuff which helps you clear your mind and sort between useful worry and harmful worry. It helped me A LOT.

God bless you and I hope you start feeling better :) Remember that just by being a Christian, you belong to a much bigger community than any university - a community that doesn't care about talents or success, just being you is an incredible achievement, and adds more to the world around you than any amount of academic or social success could.

(Lol, I say all that as though I took it for granted but I am constantly reminding myself of exactly the same thing)
  • Sounds like too much parental and peer pressure.

If it is, it needs to be resolved in terms of expectations.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9748.msg119436#msg119436 date=1284643975]
    Sounds like too much parental and peer pressure.

If it is, it needs to be resolved in terms of expectations.

Can you please elaborate. How can one resolve expectations with them?
  • "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
    Philippians 4:6-7
  • Be honest with the parents.  Set a proper plan and goal.  Do not set the bar to ridiculous heights.
  • the main thing is to teach yourself that God is in control and that this is a good thing.

during my last exam, i was so anxious i felt quite unwell, but i remembered that the worst that could happen was that i would faint and so have to resit the exam.
    if that happened it would be expensive, but it wouldn't kill me.

so i treat anxiety by thinking that even if the worst does happen, God can deal with it. once i did faint after an exam while getting the results and it delayed everyone's results. so what i learnt from that was that i needed to deal with my anxiety so i didn't end up getting everyone else stressed from my stress. again, no-body died.

it's good u have recognised u have a problem and are asking for help. that sort of courage shows that you are making progress on your spiritual journey.
    accept where you are on your journey (not finished yet!) and remember God will complete the work He is doing in you (philippians 1).

see your doctor, most (not all) will give good advice, and tell your confession father about it (i'm assuming u have one, if not, ask us for advice about that).
    ep-Choice-nai-nan's advice is good (like his other posts).
    everyone has a different reason for anxiety, either a desperate need for love, or a desire to be famous and better than everyone else, or lots of other reasons.
    the treatment depends on the cause of anxiety.

e.g i worry too much what people will think of me because of a feeling of never being 'good enough' as a child. also i lack humility.
    so for me, the treatment is learning lots more about God so i understand who is this great God who loves us completely and accepts us. also i try to pray more to understand God's will. also i had to learn to accept doing badly and failing. that helped me to be a bit more humble.

so everyone needs different advice, but what we know is that God will help you and show you where to turn, as you depend on Him and tell Him your problems, dreams and hopes.

may God hold your hand, remember you have many talents (not just one you have to find or else you get in trouble) and, as you are praying about it, He will be with you always.
  • Thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate your sincere replies and advice. I'll take everything into consideration and talk to both my FOC and doctor.

God bless.

mary
  • You'd be surprised what your self esteem can do to your life. If you lack the confidence to believe that you are capable of doing things then it will lower your potential. Try to be positive. Think about why you feel like this.

You said your performance is pretty well right? So why say that you're not good enough for university? You are just as good as anyone who got a place.
    I get extremely anxious during exam periods to the point where I get physical flu-like symptoms. But you kind of become aware of the problem and over time convincing yourself of your abilities makes things better
  • woah! i just found a video where HH Pope Shenouda talks about this yesterday! here it is:

i hope you understand arabic. he talks specifically about worrying about exams towards the end.
  • [quote author=teji aflio link=topic=9748.msg119721#msg119721 date=1285211387]
    woah! i just found a video where HH Pope Shenouda talks about this yesterday! here it is:

i hope you understand arabic. he talks specifically about worrying about exams towards the end.

thanks so much! I will have a listen!
  • [quote author=teji aflio link=topic=9748.msg119721#msg119721 date=1285211387]
    woah! i just found a video where HH Pope Shenouda talks about this yesterday! here it is:

WOW.. Amazing video.. he tells us how to cram!!
    I am amazed.
    Thanks for sharing buddy! I really wish I watched this before my exam yesterday.. But I just thank God that I'm done for the year anyways.